Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Dilemma... WWYD? Kinda long!

Ok, with all this state shutdown talk, FI & I were all ready to go & get our marriage license before July.  That is until I realized we didn't have the letter from our church, stating that we took our marriage classes!  Ugh...

I called the church to get the letter only to find out, that all of our priests are down at some conference in Rochester.  One may be back tomorrow, otherwise all of them aren't back until Friday!  We need the letter signed by a priest & of course our church lady didn't have any on hand, that we could use!

That little piece of paper will save us a decent amount of moolah, so now we're in a pickle... 

Do we wait until tomorrow, see if we get a call that the letter is signed & ready & if not, just bite the bullet & go spend the extra money to get the licence without it?

OR

Do we wait it out until the end of the week when we know the priests will be back, get the signed letter & go in next Monday to get the licence?

My only concern with waiting is that next Friday is July 1st & there's the whole 5 day wait period on the license.  I just don't want us trying to save some money, bite us in the ass & then we have no marriage license!

I'm hoping the state shutdown won't be long, if it happens at all, but I don't want to take the risk of not getting our license & being totally screwed!

Thoughts??  What would you do in this situation?  TIA ladies!  = )

Edit - Oh & the reason for needing to go those particular days is because of FI's work schedule! 

Re: Dilemma... WWYD? Kinda long!

• Options
    aabrahams7aabrahams7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL I am in the same boat. We are literally getting married the week after you and have been tossing this same thing around. Must be a BIG conference in rochester, as my priests are there too!! GRRRR  I know how you feel. I think were are just going to wait. I can't see the shutdown lasting 2 whole months.
  • Options
    brink131brink131 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've got a slightly similar issue. I'm back in MN, but FI is still in CA and won't be coming here until a couple of days before the wedding. So he needs to print off a suplemental form for the marriage license application and fill it out and get it signed by a notary. Then he needs to mail it to me so I can go apply. We debated having him rush to get it done and overnight the form to me, but we opted not to. I really can't imagine the goverment will be shut down for two whole months! (knock on wood) I mean the state would be in complete anarchy or something by that point right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat only I have even LESS time before the wedding. I called our marriage counselor yesterday and didn't hear back from her yet... Also I noticed the letter from the counselor needs to be notarized! I just hope they have a notary at their office or else this will get much more complicated! If it helps I am planning on waiting to get our letter. I really would rather save $70 and risk not having the paperwork on time. My FI and I figure the worst case scenario for us is we don't have the paperwork in time then our ceremony will still go on but we will have to repeat it later at the courthouse... I will also talk to our justice of the peace and see what she advises us to do.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I know all of you are starting to freak out and for good reasons... but when I called our county today, I asked them this question they told me A. do NOT freak out... B. If you apply in July when the state is shut down the time until you get your license is just a little longer C you also go in front of a county judge and get the license immediately.

So to answer you Andrea, WAIT if you have next Friday available, go in during that time. The woman in my Co office told me it is the county that prints everything and they have a budget set through July for the most part.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im going in tommorow to get our license and our passports. I am defintly more worried about my passport since my honeymoon is end off September.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_dilemma-wwyd-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:ce74e4ee-beb4-47f0-9d44-e59f3f49441fPost:20386b9c-0b7c-4f66-93dc-e0248cb4b73a">Re: Dilemma... WWYD? Kinda long!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im going in tommorow to get our license and our passports. I am defintly more worried about my passport since my honeymoon is end off September.
    Posted by becca2434[/QUOTE]

<div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">I would rush your passport. I used to cover passports for one of MN Senators. Passports are a federal government function though, not a state government function so they will continue to renew. They just take awhile regardless to do, most MN passports go to Seattle for renewal</div></div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ladies, Breathe. The Marriage license are run by the COUNTY which the State funds have nothing to do with. They are seperate and will be running the same as usually.

Your driver's license on the other hand will not be able to be renewed with your new name.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards