Christian Weddings

How Does This Happen?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/cincinnatiwlwt-18191085/woman-unexpectedly-gives-birth-26096719.html

I just don't understand how someone could be pregnant for 9 months and never know.   I know that there is a TV show about this but I've never watched.  

Has anyone ever known anyone who didn't know they were pregnant until they were well into their pregnancy?

Re: How Does This Happen?

• edited December 2011
    I've never been pregnant, but most women tell me there's no way someone wouldn't know. But then maybe if her periods weren't regular, she didn't gain much weight and she wasn't sick, maaaaabyyyee? I have no idea.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    One of my mom's friend's sister, Mary, had a baby. She knew she was pregnant with him... then when he was about 2, she had twins. She didn't know she was even pregnant. I didn't understand it either. No one could tell she was pregnant, but she was a big overweight. I did watch the show a few times and i think it's plausible. I don't know though. 

I actually think that they had talked to Mary about being on the show, but she declined. 
  • edited December 2011
    That's crazy! I have seen that show too. It does seem quite unlikely to me that someone would have no clue they're pregnant, but I've never been pregnant, so I don't know. 
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That always blows my mind. How can you be that unaware of your body?!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My SIL was 26 weeks when they found out she was pregnant.  Basically, it was a perfect storm that allowed her to not know.  She had gained 5 pounds or so, but we all figured it was because she'd recently moved in with her then-bf and he cooks a lot more than she does, so she was eating more.  She nver had any kind of morning/afternoon/evening sickness, and the placenta was sitting between baby and uterine wall so when he was kicking she couldn't feel it.  When H told me she was 6 months pregnant I said, "No she's not, I just had lunch with her last week!"

ETA - as far as periods, she's never been regular and she had enough spotting that she didn't notice that her period was missing.
  • edited December 2011
    My mom was four and a half months pregnant with one of my brothers before she knew she was pregnant.  It's a long story.

My mom had me on April 23, 1988.  She wanted to breast feed, but wanted HBC.  I was a surprise as it was, and she and my dad were newlyweds, they certainly couldn't afford TWO babies!  So her doctor put her on the mini-pill (a piece of crap HBC that has to be taken within a 15 minute window of the same time every day).  When I was 6 weeks old, my mom got an infection or cold or something, and got put on antibiotics.  No one told her that taking antibiotics makes HBC less effective, ESPECIALLY if you're on the mini-pill.  This was the 80s.  They didn't know everything then that we know now.  While my mom was on the antibiotics, she got pregnant with my brother.  But she didn't know it.

1.  HBC causes you to have what is called a "pill period."  It's not a real period and does not involve ovulation.  The mini-pill is so mild, it can apparently cause these periods in a pregnant woman (i.e. my mom) without harming the baby (i.e. my brother).  My mom never stopped having periods until she stopped taking this pill while pregnant.

2.  She didn't gain weight (and in fact lost weight) because she had just given birth about 6 weeks prior.  Have you ever seen a woman who JUST gave birth, like, the other day?  Did she still look kinda pregnant?  Yeah.  My mom just thought that baby weight was really stubborn.  She gained like 65 pounds when she was pregnant with me.  I think she actually lost 5 with my brother.

3.  Her morning sickness was masked by whatever it was they gave her the antibiotics for.  She just thought she was still sick.  And her fatigue was masked by, well, ME!  Having a newborn puts a cramp in your sleeping schedule.

After all of that, the way that my mom finally realized that she was pregnant, was when she felt my brother move.  She said it felt like he rubbed his fist across the front of her uterus.  And it scared the ever-loving crap out of her.  My brother was born on April 10, 1989.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    One of my friend's mother didn't know she was pregnant with her...but it was because she was a heavy cocaine user so didn't really gain hardly any weight and since she was a drug user she hardly ever got her periods.  (thank God her mom's not a druggie anymore though!)
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sessions and Drama, I am mind blown right now...mind freakin' blown.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    This thread is crazy!! I've watched that show a few times and it freaks me out a lot. I'm scared I "might not know I am pregnant" and I'll be disappointed because I'll feel like I missed out of a part of being pregnant.

and sessions yoru story is CRAZY!
    imageAnniversary
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to say I don't understand how someone wouldn't know, but after reading sesssions's post, it doesn't sound so implausible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards