Texas-San Antonio

Out of Town guests-how far do we "have" to go

99% of my guests (abt 60)  are out of town, so I am grateful they are going through the trouble and expense to attend. I'm not sure what protocol is for what I'm "supposed" to do for them.

We're hosting a rehearsal dinner. Is open bar necessary?
Am I supposed to host a brunch the day after the wedding?

Our church is 5 minutes from the reception at a hotel. The hotel we're getting married in is right in the middle of the Riverwalk downtown so convenient to everything. However, the room rate they gave pricey, so I found alternatives for  lodging so guests have a choice. Nothing is more than 5 minutes away from each other.

What is protocol for all this?

Re: Out of Town guests-how far do we "have" to go

• edited December 2011
    I am like you.. with people flying in for our wedding. We like to call it our Destination wedding, even though it will be where my finace and I reside (once I finish school). Really there isn't any guidelines to follow. You can include as many as you like in the rehersal dinner or restrict it to only wedding party. Since my FI's are paying for the the rehersal dinner, we are only having wedding party people at ours. They plan on going with them to a rodeo type event the day before the wedding to catch up with them, but I am not going to that.

I have heard of people doing an Out of Towner lunch to thank them, but I am pretty sure that it is not something they expect. You can do out of towner bags with little knick knacks about the area... and that should be more than enough thank you.
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing out of town bags with at least water, a small snack, our personal recommendations for stuff to do downtown, and SA guidebooks.  Our hotel told us that they would hand them out as people check in.  At the very least, providing some of your personal recommendations for restaurants and things to do in an envelope is nice but I wanted to do a little bit more.  Usually bottled water is $3-6 in hotels.

My FI's family is paying for the RD, but they are doing open bar. 

For people that have chosen not to rent a car, we are providing transportation to the church, which is 20 minutes away and the only thing not downtown.

Surprisingly, most of our out of town guests are making a long weekend of it so we are hosting a very informal BBQ at my Dad's house on Sunday night.  

I've been an out of town guest at several weddings where none of this was done, it's just nice touches that I wanted to do to show our appreciation that they chose to come from far away. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    About half our group is out of towners as well.  We are having a casual get together at my house on Friday night of the wedding weekend (I am getting Rudy's BBQ) and all the out of town guests are invited to the "rehearsal" dinner on Sat night.  My fiance and I are paying for all of this.  The wedding is on Sunday and fortunately brunch for Monday is included with the room rate, and I did arrange for a group rate.  My only thing is deciding whether to arrange transportation for out of town guests who aren't renting a car.  Decisions decisions...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I made up a very detailed flyer.  It had maps with directions, our favorite places to go, and about 5 hotels that were within 5-10 miles of the reception.  The back side was the photocopied restaurant page from one of the local magazines.  I did wedding favors (chocolate tamales) and had an open bar.  That's it.  The rehearsal was only for immediate family and wedding party.  I didn't hear any complaints. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter married this past weekend and almost all guests were from out of town. (including us) We had small gift bags for them when they checked into their hotels. Bottled water, snacks and a map of the area. It is a nice gesture since they did travel. We went to Sams and bought a lot of the stuff in bulk, so it was not so expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards