Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

cupcakes vs. mini cakes

my fiance and i are talking about doing cupcakes instead of cake. i know its so overdone but it would be a lot easier for us and guests.  i like the idea of doing a few diff flavours  and having enough cupcakes so that everyone can have 1 of each if they want.   do you think it would be best to have a few mini cakes of the same flavours instead of cupcakes? 
we'd have whatever cake on a seperate table that guests could approach themselves after dinner.  i thought if we did cupcakes we'd have a sm,all cake for us to cut or maybe we could each take a bite from a  giant cupcake.

Re: cupcakes vs. mini cakes

• Options
    I don't get the "overdone" comment only because you can say the same thing about traditional wedding cakes that they too are "overdone".

But in your situation I just think that cupcakes would be easier for your guests to grab and go rather than having to slice a piece of cake which could potentially get messy and a very hungry guest could cut him/herself a pretty large piece.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cupcakes-vs-mini-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c0d53e98-3311-40b2-982a-56cd9b1cc1d8Post:1b22a9b7-548a-4d8c-aaef-56a06cdf064f">Re: cupcakes vs. mini cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]<em>I don't get the "overdone" comment</em> only because you can say the same thing about traditional wedding cakes that they too are "overdone". But in your situation I just think that cupcakes would be easier for your guests to grab and go rather than having to slice a piece of cake which could potentially get messy and a very hungry guest could cut him/herself a pretty large piece.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

It seems like the trend right now (like brooch bouquets) and i don't want people to say "oh, another wedding with cupcakes".

and yeah...i hate eating messy food too! so cutlery and plates are a MUST!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cupcakes-vs-mini-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c0d53e98-3311-40b2-982a-56cd9b1cc1d8Post:4a9824a3-9d20-4ad7-83cd-56350b1b5d51">Re: cupcakes vs. mini cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cupcakes vs. mini cakes : It seems like the trend right now (like brooch bouquets) and i don't want people to say "oh, another wedding with cupcakes". and yeah...i hate eating messy food too! so cutlery and plates are a MUST!
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

But honestly nothing is "new" with weddings.  Everything is either a trend or a tradition so no wedding is unique.

And as for me, as a guest of a wedding, as long as the dessert is good I could care less if it is in a cake, cupcake, or lollipop form.  But that just may be me, but the only thing I would ever side-eye at a wedding is a choreographed dance because those are usually just heinous to watch :)

But PP has a point about still providing plates and cutlery for your guests if you do have cupcakes.

• Options
    I think the mini's sound good so that people can sample different flavors.  Like Stage said, still provide forks, plates, etc.

I get the overdone comment- cupcakes are a fad that will die eventually.  Cakes are traditions.  Traditions and fads are different.  I personally don't want cupcakes for our wedding because I feel like it will eventually date the wedding and I'll probably look back on it in 10 years and be like "well that was dumb"- like puff sleeves... LOL  Not to offend anyone who has done cupcakes- as a guest, I don't care what kind of cake it is as long as there is cake.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm not a fan of the cupcake trend as it looks like a little kid's birthday party. Plus, what other people mentioned about being at a formal occasion, dressed up but trying to eat something messy with my hands.
  • Options

Have you priced mini cakes vs. cupcakes?

We had mini individual sized cakes for our reception. When the guest RSVP for the dinner they wanted they also RSVP the cake/filling they wanted from 5 choices.  5 years later people still talk about how they loved being able to pick the cake/filling they wanted.  We had assigned seating so the cakes were at the person's seat already when the reception started.

I personally love the mini cake idea and our guests loved it too.  But, it is very expensive.

• Options
    I'm not crazy about cupcakes at a wedding, it seems like such a fad. Mini cakes won't work for us. I love the traditional wedding cake. That said, guess what we're having????? CUPCAKES!!!! It just works for us, easier and cheaper, and I'd rather spend my time, talent and treasure on other things.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cupcakes-vs-mini-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c0d53e98-3311-40b2-982a-56cd9b1cc1d8Post:dadf959e-4adb-43e1-bee7-5e3cc2c2dbe2">Re: cupcakes vs. mini cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'm not a fan of the cupcake trend as it looks like a little kid's birthday party</strong>. Plus, what other people mentioned about being at a formal occasion, dressed up but trying to eat something messy with my hands.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I ordered a cake for the wedding, but at the last minute we decided to add more guests.  So instead of ordering a bigger cake (which will get rather pricey), I ordered some cupcakes to go with it.  It made things much easier for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards