Registry and Gift Forum
Options

China

There is a china pattern that I have loved forever..or so it seems Wink I am afraid that people will think this is too expensive as a gift. Should we just register for it anyway?

Re: China

• Options
    Yes register for it any way some stores give you a 10% discount after your wedding on items left on your registry. People might also buy you gift certificates that you can use to buy it later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How expensive is too expensive?  Are we talking $100 for a single plate?  I think it's generally understood that fine china can be slightly pricey but even then, it's recommended to have a wide range of prices in your registry gifts.  I say go for it!
  • Options
    my family loves giving people china as a gift as opposed to something like a 100$ set of bed linens or something because china can become a family heirloom. i say go for it. if you dont get enough of the set you can always complete it yourself a little bit each year or return it if you change your mind
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, what pattern do you like?
  • Options
    Agreed with the PP's. If you love it, register for it.  You might get it all, you might get nothing but why ask for a cheaper china if that's not the one you love?

I'm curious too, what china do you like?
  • Options
    I really like Lenox Opal Innocence! I have liked it since it came out years ago now. There is one Wedgewood pattern that I like as well. I love that Opal Innocence comes with lots of pieces other than the the place settings. I think the place setting is on sale a lot for about $120.
  • Options
    i love opal innocence! i ended up choosing kate spade gardner street platinum instead but opal innocence was my second choice. i say go for it! you might be surprised. i thought the kate spade one was too expensive ($140 a setting) but surprisingly i got all the settings for my engagement party.
    you have good taste! good luck :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Go for it, like others said, even if you don't get it all you can complete it yourself later.  I registered for china (Vera Wang's Lace, although to pp I was this close to registering for Kate Spade Gardner :) ) and it's a $140 a setting.  Our placesettings were some of the first gifts we received and we received all 12.
  • Options
    Register for it ! I don't think that's a crazy price for good china
  • Options
    People expect a couple to register for china and with that it is expected that it will be expensive. If it is too expensive for a guest, they won't purchase it. Then you can purchase any unpurchased sets at a discount, or return the ones you got if you only get a couple place settings and get something else.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    Just go for it! Even if you only wind up with a few sets (or even just 1 or 2), Opal Innocence is one of the most popular patterns in the U.S. - it's not going anywhere anytime soon, so you can build on it for years to come.

As someone else said, most people anticipate that the couple will register for some fine chia; it's just tradition, and though it sounds counterintuitive because of the cost, it IS practical. Someday you'll be hosting holidays and special occassions, and your pieces will come in handy. Beyond that, a set of china is perfect for passing on to family someday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards