Nevada-Las Vegas

Decline of Vegas Weddings

Some of the comments are a bit harsh. Apparently everyone assumes since it's a wedding in Vegas it's going to be cheesy and lame. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/113226/decline-vegas-weddings-businessweek?mod=family-love_money#mwpphu-container
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings

• wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, there are some idiots commenting for sure. Glad to see ignorance is alive and well still.

Some people are so naive!!  If they had actually been to a wedding in Vegas they aren't all cheesy and even if they are so be it.  You can have cheese anywhere in the world actually. Will people stop getting married in Vegas, uh doubt it, just like anything else when money is tight, one has to cut back in order to make whatever they want to do happen.  Even if the economy was better there are still people that won't attend a DW regardless of where it is.

Based on the title you would be lead to believe that every wedding in Vegas is done "Hangover" style or at the drive thru, very misleading and frankly irritating.
  • hstaples4hstaples4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:e8586e33-3f40-476b-b65f-756a2733c508">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, there are some idiots commenting for sure. Glad to see ignorance is alive and well still. Some people are so naive!!  If they had actually been to a wedding in Vegas they aren't all cheesy and even if they are so be it.  You can have cheese anywhere in the world actually. Will people stop getting married in Vegas, uh doubt it, just like anything else when money is tight, one has to cut back in order to make whatever they want to do happen.  Even if the economy was better there are still people that won't attend a DW regardless of where it is. <strong>Based on the title you would be lead to believe that every wedding in Vegas is done "Hangover" style or at the drive thru, very misleading and frankly irritating.</strong>
    Posted by wallacje[/QUOTE]
    I know, no wonder everyone thinks Vegas is just full of quickie weddings when all this article talked about was the drive through chapel and a rent-a-dress store.

Other then this board everyone seems to think there is no planning going in to a Vegas wedding and how cheap its going to be for us...uh no!  we are spending a lot of money and a lot of time and if I hear one more person say "good enough for a vegas wedding" or "oh you're still doing that for a vegas wedding" like for some reason that since it's vegas it's not a real wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This is why I like you girls and not the wedding 911 girls. All the time I have to be on the defense because people think that I must be a stripper or prostitute because I live in Vegas and Vegas is trashy.
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:2cfe5ed1-8184-43b3-8907-37b4cd8d5098">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings : I know, no wonder everyone thinks Vegas is just full of quickie weddings when all this article talked about was the drive through chapel and a rent-a-dress store. Other then this board everyone seems to think there is no planning going in to a Vegas wedding and how cheap its going to be for us...uh no!  we are spending a lot of money and a lot of time and if I hear one more person say "good enough for a vegas wedding" or "oh you're still doing that for a vegas wedding" <strong>like for some reason that since it's vegas it's not a real wedding.</strong>
    Posted by hstaples4[/QUOTE]

I couldn't see the comments, but I sooo agree with the bolded part. I was at a family reunion on my mom's side a couple of weeks ago, and it felt like everybody asked my mom or I what they should wear. Ummm... it's a wedding, and it's not black tie. So... wear what you would wear to a wedding?

I tried to be helpful like, "temperatures should be in the 80s" and "the ceremony and dancing will be outside" but it really seemed like they just wanted to know if it was okay to wear jeans or shorts. Um, no, it's a wedding. I was hoping my fancy-pants invitations would help people out, but some people don't quite get it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:6f73094a-6bed-45d2-a256-97e982605214">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is why I like you girls and not the wedding 911 girls. All the time I have to be on the defense because people think that <strong>I must be a stripper or prostitute because I live in Vegas and Vegas is trashy.</strong>
    Posted by AJF021410[/QUOTE]
    Wait, you're not?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this was one of my favorite comments:
    "Awww, Las Vegas. Home of the trailer park trash style wedding. How romantic if you are one of the dregs of society like a meth hooker or stripper."
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:ea0a8602-38b5-4313-a5f9-e965c4e80828">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings : Wait, you're not?
    Posted by hstaples4[/QUOTE]

Ok maybe just part time....lol
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Some people really think I am doing a Hangover style wedding when I tell them Vegas. Arghhhh!!!
    What do you do in Vegas,  AJF021410 ??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

I don't understand why Vegas isn't just a regular city, like getting married in San Diego or Houston. 

@Natrasha - Totally peeved when people asked me what they should wear.  Seriously, no jeans or shorts, act like you have some sense.

• smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dude, people are lame and if anyone wears shorts or jeans to my wedding I will scoff at them.  LOUDLY.

Scoff, I say.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011
    I'd like to think that the people who I'm inviting havve enough class to know how to dress for a wedding. So far I've only been asked about what the weather is like. My side of the family has been super supportive of Vegas for a wedding. FI has had one or two comments but they've been more about not understanding that just b/c it's on a pool deck does not mean (random) people will be swimming during the wedding.

People are ignorant.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:817d7a82-7cd6-4e61-9c7e-f34949e77ce3">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some people really think I am doing a Hangover style wedding when I tell them Vegas. Arghhhh!!! What do you do in Vegas,  AJF021410 ??
    Posted by klminor17[/QUOTE]

I work in luxury sales:)
  • justine043justine043 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     because having your wedding at a local joint that hasnt been updated since 1975 is way "classier".

if i want cheese, i will have it! :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    They have no idea of how freaking cool Vegas weddings are!!! There was a girl on my local nest board that replied to my intro post saying she had been a guest at a wedding in Vegas once and didn't think it was going to be so fabulous. Surprisingly enough, we haven't had any bad comments when we were planning and guests showed up nicely dressed lol ... they knew better ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know why news outlets, etc. even have comments enabled; I've never seen a single article posted anywhere where the resulting discussion was anything more than rambling from zealots. Maybe that's why they do it; keep the morons coming back to check for new back and forth insults while they get the ad revenue from all the hits.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:ba12a7ef-88a5-4f3c-874e-e2140ec13eac">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know why news outlets, etc. even have comments enabled; I've never seen a single article posted anywhere <strong>where the resulting discussion was anything more than rambling from zealots</strong>. Maybe that's why they do it; keep the morons coming back to check for new back and forth insults while they get the ad revenue from all the hits.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my facebook feed on any given Sunday.
    Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:ba12a7ef-88a5-4f3c-874e-e2140ec13eac">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know why news outlets, etc. even have comments enabled; <strong>I've never seen a single article posted anywhere where the resulting discussion was anything more than rambling from zealots.</strong> Maybe that's why they do it; keep the morons coming back to check for new back and forth insults while they get the ad revenue from all the hits.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]
     Ain't that the truth! The worst I swear is our local paper here in Fairbanks, no matter what the article is about it always turns in to A.gun rights B. how bad local politicians are or C. how Alaska should become their own country.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think jeans are bad like nice jeans with no holes. But I also come from a family where rodeo and roping is life and jeans are considered formal attire, I've been to quite a few weddings where even the wedding party is wearing jeans. My dad asked if it was ok he bought a new pair of wranglers to walk me down the aisle or if he had to wear a suit, I told him it was fine he's still going to wear a suit jacket and tie with them (and of course his cowboy hat). He just wouldn't look like himself in a full suit.
    edited December 2011
    Staples,
    If you didn't know the couple well enough would you wear jeans?  I would never wear jeans to a wedding or a funeral unless I knew the people well enough and they told me it was okay.  Don't get me wrong.  I wear jeans all the time.

My mom did ask if she had to dress up for the RD.  She asked, can I wear "Vegas casual"?  That probably means shorts, which I told her is fine. 

Bi-oh-rama

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:4e7a9d89-bc7f-4348-badb-ef6df46a1011">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Staples, If you didn't know the couple well enough would you wear jeans?  I would never wear jeans to a wedding or a funeral unless I knew the people well enough and they told me it was okay.  Don't get me wrong.  I wear jeans all the time. My mom did ask if she had to dress up for the RD.  She asked, can I wear "Vegas casual"?  That probably means shorts, which I told her is fine. 
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]
    Ok no, if I didn't know the couple well enough to get a feel for the casualness of their wedding I would always wear something nicer.
    edited December 2011
    I am assuming that people will be able to tell from the formality of the invite and the time of day that is a fairly formal event.  It's not black tie or anything but really ties, jackets and hooker heels should be on the agenda.

I bet the Bakersfield and Henderson people wear jeans though. 

Any betting men out there?  Especially if you are from Bakersfield or Henderson... Any takers?
    Bi-oh-rama

• lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The fundamentalist nut-jobs taking over the comments section of that article make me want to blow my brains out. 

That is all.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_decline-of-vegas-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:7adbd56e-6146-4413-a5f3-ad06cd4a40a7Post:59fdd2f2-cdf6-473b-b8a2-3b8ed67aa8e4">Re: Decline of Vegas Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dude, people are lame and if anyone wears shorts or jeans to my wedding I will scoff at them.  LOUDLY. Scoff, I say.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

My dad wears shorts all year round (even in winter). We actually set my sister up on her weding day by getting a pair of formal pants from the op shop and cutting them into shorts (I hemmed them and all) and made dad wear them with hos shirt and jacket for when my sister came out from getting ready. She freaked and it was soooooooo hilarious!

And I also hate to tell you guys but you need to talk to your countries tourism department because the ads and promos we get here are all about the cheesy wedding and buffets. I honestly didn't know before coming on here that you could have a traditional weding in vegas (well aside from locals doing it in churches etc)

Honestly the cheese is the only reason I am coming. Otherwise I would get married at home!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards