Flowers

Stargazers

I really, really like stargazers. The only issue is that the pollen sheds like crazy out of them. Anyone have any luck with stargazers, and how did you control the bright organge pollen?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Stargazers

• Take a tissue and put it over the pollen head and pull it off. Not only does the tissue keep your hands clean, but it also grabs the pollen head so none gets on your dress or tablecloth.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_stargazers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:333cfb56-00e8-4c42-86c1-714a6ffb5eb9Post:5ead67cb-b171-4617-8c86-6a681018ef27">Re: Stargazers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Take a tissue and put it over the pollen head and pull it off. Not only does the tissue keep your hands clean, but it also grabs the pollen head so none gets on your dress or tablecloth.
    Posted by NYCMercedes[/QUOTE]

This.

Most florists will do this once the stargazers or any other lily bloom open so that pollen doesn't get everywhere.

If you catch them early enough the pollen heads aren't yet open so they can easily be pulled off without getting pollen all over yoursel.

Oh and if you do by any chance get pollen on your clothes, do not rub it off.  Instead get some packing tape and place it over where the pollen is and rip it off.  This will take the pollen off without smudging it into your clothes.

• I love stargazer lillies too. I made sure to plant several in my garden a few years ago. I now try to make sure I get them surrounded with chicken wire before the rabbits get the heads, LOL.

I don't pull the yellow pollen head off, I hold the flowerhead over a trash can and use small pointy scissors to cut the tips off which I think is easier than trying to pull them off carefully. Either method  also makes the lilies last a day or two longer.

Also, in addition to the method above for getting rid of the stains on clothing, I read somewhere to put the item with the pollen stains in the sun and the stain just vanishes. I was incredulous, but it really does work! I got the stain on a white shirt, and hung the shirt over a chair back outside and after a few hours went out and it was totally gone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_stargazers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:333cfb56-00e8-4c42-86c1-714a6ffb5eb9Post:edbe4561-0163-4945-a55b-a7181dc2e751">Re: Stargazers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love stargazer lillies too. I made sure to plant several in my garden a few years ago. I now try to make sure I get them surrounded with chicken wire before the rabbits get the heads, LOL. I don't pull the yellow pollen head off, I hold the flowerhead over a trash can and use small pointy scissors to cut the tips off which I think is easier than trying to pull them off carefully. Either method  also makes the lilies last a day or two longer. Also, in addition to the method above for getting rid of the stains on clothing,<strong> I read somewhere to put the item with the pollen stains in the sun and the stain just vanishes. I was incredulous, but it really does work! I got the stain on a white shirt, and hung the shirt over a chair back outside and after a few hours went out and it was totally gone.
    </strong>Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Wow, really?  I am going to have to try that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards