Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

FLower lady canceled on me with 8 weeks left till the wedding!!!

I am sooo upset, I am not sure what to do... The women that was supposed to do my flower arrangements at my wedding was a friend of my fiances mother.  She does this for a living, and also works for a florist as well.  I met with her 6 months ago to discuss what I wanted and how many tables there was, things one normally discusses with their florist.  I did ask her what the largest wedding she did by herself was, and she answered 300.  My wedding is only 200 and she said that would be simple for her to do.  

Yesterday I go to meet with her agian with my mom and my fiances mom (8 weeks till wedding), and she starts telling me how excited she is and how she can't wait to do the wedding and she gives me a laundry list of her ideas and what she is going to use.  Then she says something to my fiances mom in Russian (they are Russian and I am not so I don't know what she said).  His mom got a really funny look on her face and said, "OK".  When we left she hugged me and told me how excited she was, then immedialty calls my fiance and tells him she can't do the wedding because it is too much for her, the largest wedding she has done was 150 (she lied to me to begin with obvi).  

She was going to give us a good deal, and now I don't know what to do, if I have enough time to find a florist that wont take advantage of my desperate situation.  I can't beleive she had the nerve to wait this long to tell us.  What should I do?

Re: FLower lady canceled on me with 8 weeks left till the wedding!!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_flower-lady-canceled-on-me-with-8-weeks-left-till-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:dbc360fc-1055-4d5c-9444-d01c836dc7b5Post:4984c946-fbe1-463e-a540-208749534f4d">FLower lady canceled on me with 8 weeks left till the wedding!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sooo upset, I am not sure what to do... The women that was supposed to do my flower arrangements at my wedding was a friend of my fiances mother.  She does this for a living, and also works for a florist as well.  I met with her 6 months ago to discuss what I wanted and how many tables there was, things one normally discusses with their florist.  I did ask her what the largest wedding she did by herself was, and she answered 300.  My wedding is only 200 and she said that would be simple for her to do.   Yesterday I go to meet with her agian with my mom and my fiances mom (8 weeks till wedding), and she starts telling me how excited she is and how she can't wait to do the wedding and she gives me a laundry list of her ideas and what she is going to use.  Then she says something to my fiances mom in Russian (they are Russian and I am not so I don't know what she said).  His mom got a really funny look on her face and said, "OK".  When we left she hugged me and told me how excited she was, then immedialty calls my fiance and tells him she can't do the wedding because it is too much for her, the largest wedding she has done was 150 (she lied to me to begin with obvi).   She was going to give us a good deal, and now I don't know what to do, if I have enough time to find a florist that wont take advantage of my desperate situation.  I can't beleive she had the nerve to wait this long to tell us.  What should I do?
    Posted by andreakristybell[/QUOTE]

Did you sign a contract with her?
  • Options
    No she told me she was 'drawing one up' and that was what this meeting was for, but she showed up without it, so there is nothing I can do to get her to fix it :(
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your predicament.  I'm curious what she said to your FMIL in Russian since you said she got a funny look on her face and said OK.  What has FMIL had to say about this?

The best thing you can do is hit your local board and ask for vendor recommendations for a florist.  I know you are in a sticky situation here, but don't lose faith that someone will automatically rip you off.

Did you know Sam's club has wedding flowers online?  That might really bear some looking into.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_flower-lady-canceled-on-me-with-8-weeks-left-till-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:dbc360fc-1055-4d5c-9444-d01c836dc7b5Post:1e282c68-63a4-44a5-8492-a25c06dda21f">Re: FLower lady canceled on me with 8 weeks left till the wedding!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for your predicament.  I'm curious what she said to your FMIL in Russian since you said she got a funny look on her face and said OK.  What has FMIL had to say about this? The best thing you can do is hit your local board and ask for vendor recommendations for a florist.  I know you are in a sticky situation here, but don't lose faith that someone will automatically rip you off. Did you know Sam's club has wedding flowers online?  That might really bear some looking into.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]
     <div>Thank you so much :)</div>
  • Options
    You're welcome, good luck!
  • Options
    I think you are fine to still find a florist.  Don't seem desperate when you are on the phone with them.  Just seem like the laid back bride who waited until 2 months to find a florist.  Give them your budget, colors, and favorite flowers and see what they can come up with. 

Check your local board for recommendations and as a PP said, you can always go with Sam's Club if you can't find anyone in your budget.

I'm sorry this lady just left you high and dry, without having the courtesy to do this in person - especially since you were meeting her!
  • Options

Sorry,
    depending on what you want, you could go to sams, you could cut the stems, then use clear rubberbands, so they stay in place, next find the ribbon you want, then cover them from the bottom to the top. 
    Add pins to keep them in place.  I would keep them in water, just the bottom and in the fridge to stay fresh.

I hope this helps, it will be cheaper and if you can do it or find help, you not only saved yourself money, but a project youll always remember!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_flower-lady-canceled-on-me-with-8-weeks-left-till-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:dbc360fc-1055-4d5c-9444-d01c836dc7b5Post:602d7b5e-6e62-4d0e-a6ee-48ef9ce6deae">Re: FLower lady canceled on me with 8 weeks left till the wedding!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you are fine to still find a florist.  <strong><font color="#0000ff">Don't seem desperate when you are on the phone with them.  Just seem like the laid back bride who waited until 2 months to find a florist.  </font></strong>Give them your budget, colors, and favorite flowers and see what they can come up with.  Check your local board for recommendations and as a PP said, you can always go with Sam's Club if you can't find anyone in your budget. I'm sorry this lady just left you high and dry, without having the courtesy to do this in person - especially since you were meeting her!
    Posted by OliveOilsMom[/QUOTE]

There's the key!  Get your mind to a calm place and take some deep breaths.  Florals for your wedding are absolutely possible within a 6 to 8 week window.  If that does not work, besides Sam's Club you have options such as Whole Foods, Safeway, etc.

Good luck!
  • Options

Something very similar happened to my best friend, just a couple of weeks before her wedding- she actually ended up going with Safeway. She was pretty laidback, so she just told the floral department at Safeway that she wanted pink and green flowers. It turned out absolutely beautiful and you would never have known that it did not come from a fancy florist! Just an idea :)

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can definitely find someone your have two months !! Try local florists -supermarkets and I am sure they will be happy to have the business
  • Options
    OP - just to clarify - Samsclub online has wedding packages of premade bouquets, bouts, toss bouquets, etc.  I didn't want you to think I was just talking about ordering loose flowers (which you could certainly do too!)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_flower-lady-canceled-on-me-with-8-weeks-left-till-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:dbc360fc-1055-4d5c-9444-d01c836dc7b5Post:1e282c68-63a4-44a5-8492-a25c06dda21f">Re: FLower lady canceled on me with 8 weeks left till the wedding!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for your predicament.  I'm curious what she said to your FMIL in Russian since you said she got a funny look on her face and said OK.  What has FMIL had to say about this? The best thing you can do is hit your local board and ask for vendor recommendations for a florist.  I know you are in a sticky situation here, but don't lose faith that someone will automatically rip you off. Did you know Sam's club has wedding flowers online?  That might really bear some looking into.
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

A knottie a couple years back had her florist cancel two weeks before her wedding.  She was from the same area that DD's wedding was going to be held so I had a list of florists close to her.  It was a June weddding so she struck out with the first couple but ended up using the third one she called.  She was thrilled with the flowers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards