Canada-Ontario
Options

Grand Luxe venue - any good?

Hi ladies, any reviews of the Grand Luxe event venue (Bayview and Finch) would be greatly appreciated. I am going to see the venue today. Anyone have feedback on that venue? I Thanks so much in advance, and happy planning! - Jill

Re: Grand Luxe venue - any good?

• Options
    Hey Jill,

Thanks for you post.  I haven`t been to an event there but I did try to get a quote for the Grand Luxe for our wedding but because you need a minimum on 250, we had to decline it or pay a bigger fee.  But the space is beautiful!  Loved it!

• Options
    Also - you probably don't want to leave your email address here.  Because this is a public forum, anyone can access it.  Some vendors do peruse it and may use it to contact you.  :)  Just a couple of security measures.

J.
  • Options
    Thank you for this feedback!! :)

Also there wasn't a min. head count when we saw the venue, but then again we are looking at a Friday - thanks again
  • Options
    We were looking at a Friday as well...but maybe things have changed since I last went to get quotes.
  • Options
    The prices are still a bit out of our budget, we are now thinking of dong a small ceremony with a cocktail and food station reception with open bar and a band. I guess a bit less formal. 
  • Options
    You can still have a formal wedding - we had ours at the Royalton with live food stations and it cost us about 15K for the both the reception and the ceremony.    We loved the look of the Grand Luxe too, but couldn't afford the minimums - check out the Royalton - ask for Mario and see the Princess Ballroom and the Silli Lounge.  It gave that upscale look we were looking for.
    What's your budget looking like?
  • Options
    Thanks I will for sure check it out! How many people did you have for that price? That's a great price. I am thinking 15k is our budget for about 120 people max. We were thinking small ceremony, than dinner for the people that were at the ceremony at a restaurant nearby with a set menue and wine and beer, and then head over to the reception at 7:30, and have a photo booth and live band and then food stations and open bar. But I wonder if we can do all that under 15k
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_grand-luxe-venue-any-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:4285b91a-cd20-4032-a944-bc00afceab83Post:b0e6e3fe-e71d-4537-a50d-cef183024759">Re: Grand Luxe venue - any good?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks I will for sure check it out! How many people did you have for that price? That's a great price. I am thinking 15k is our budget for about 120 people max. We were thinking small ceremony, than dinner for the people that were at the ceremony at a restaurant nearby with a set menue and wine and beer, and then head over to the reception at 7:30, and have a photo booth and live band and then food stations and open bar. But I wonder if we can do all that under 15k
    Posted by jilleq[/QUOTE]

So only the people who made it the ceremony will be invited to dinner?

You need to budget for 120 ppl for the ceremony, dinner and reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_grand-luxe-venue-any-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:4285b91a-cd20-4032-a944-bc00afceab83Post:b0e6e3fe-e71d-4537-a50d-cef183024759">Re: Grand Luxe venue - any good?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks I will for sure check it out! How many people did you have for that price? That's a great price. I am thinking 15k is our budget for about 120 people max. We were thinking small ceremony, than dinner for the people that were at the ceremony at a restaurant nearby with a set menue and wine and beer, and then head over to the reception at 7:30, and have a photo booth and live band and then food stations and open bar. But I wonder if we can do all that under 15k
    Posted by jilleq[/QUOTE]

I ended up with about 130 people coming but because I said there'd be about 150 I had to pay for 150. Again, the 15K was for the ceremony and the reception.  We didn't have a separate dinner because the food we chose to serve was like having dinner - pasta, sliders, fries, poutine, BBQ skewers and more.

15K is a doable budget, but I would suggest that you either have dinner with everyone or food stations with an open bar with everyone. To do both would be a little excessive and will cost you more money, and as one of the posters mentioned, some may be offended they weren't invited to dinner as well, unless that is the norm in your family and friends.

Where are you thinking to have the ceremony? A church or a civil service?
  • Options
    Thanks for your posts!

I actually got this idea from one of my friends who did it this way and it worked out really well and she was still able to keep costs down. The ceremony would be small and intimate and then the dinner after would be for the wedding party and close family and then the reception would be more of a party style - cocktail party with food stations. I do agree with your point about having fillinf foods for those stations. We don't think anyone will be offended that they aren't coming to the dinner beforehand because they will be at the party where there will be food and open bar, and dancing and celebration - speeches, first dance etc. We like the idea of the dinner, because it's intimate and a way to thank those close to us (our parents, etc) and thank the wedding party. I guess it's similar idea to a rehersal dinner, but on the day of the wedding instead. 
  • Options
    You may want to then consider a restaurant or a lounge for that...because you might be able to combine the two, dinner and cocktail reception, and get a better price.

I know that Archeo, a restaurant in the Distillery District can do both - but their minimums on a Friday night would be a $10,000. Not sure if that's in your budget or not.  The Academy of Spherical Arts is another one; The Gladstone Hotel or The Drake Hotel.     But I'm not quite sure what type of wedding you want to have - contemporary, modern, traditional...

What is your budget?  I can give you better recommendations if I knew that.

Other places to think about - art galleries, the St. Lawrence Hall, The Great Hall, etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_grand-luxe-venue-any-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:4285b91a-cd20-4032-a944-bc00afceab83Post:3b3a7d11-f1b5-4085-bbf4-d501729426f6">Re: Grand Luxe venue - any good?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You may want to then consider a restaurant or a lounge for that...because you might be able to combine the two, dinner and cocktail reception, and get a better price. I know that Archeo, a restaurant in the Distillery District can do both - but their minimums on a Friday night would be a $10,000. Not sure if that's in your budget or not.  The Academy of Spherical Arts is another one; The Gladstone Hotel or The Drake Hotel.     But I'm not quite sure what type of wedding you want to have - contemporary, modern, traditional... What is your budget?  I can give you better recommendations if I knew that. Other places to think about - art galleries, the St. Lawrence Hall, The Great Hall, etc.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you so much for your ideas, I really appreciate it! I am also lookin at venues in Barrie - the MacLaren Art Centre is one that I am strongly considering. You can bring in your own caterer. Do you know much about this venue? My budget is hopefully 15 - 20k for about 120 people. </div>
  • Options
    Hi Jill,

I have heard of the MacLaren Centre...beautiful venue.  A few things to keep in mind with that venue: 1.  There isn't a kitchen - so if you want hot hor d'oeurves or hot dishes, this will be an issue.  2.  You need to ask if you can have live food stations - not sure if they'll allow that.  3.  Consider where your guests are coming from and that you'll also need to block hotel rooms for them, e.g. also consider traffic.

For the budget you've listed is that 15-20K in total for the entire wedding or for the reception/dinner alone?  Because both are doable.  For example, my wedding costed 18.5K in total - ceremony/reception, dress, tux rentals, limo, etc., and I budgeted for 150 people.  So it can be done.

If terms of other venues - not sure if you've checked out the Eglinton Grand (Art Deco/Old Hollywood) or The Berkeley Church/Field House (Think Shabby Chic) - The Berkeley allows you to bring in your own alcohol which saves quite a bit of money.  Any unopened bottles can be returned to the LCBO for a refund.  There's also the Rose Water down on King and Toronto Street.  I'm really thinking though, you should check out Archeo - they fit 130 people in total and they're surrounded by art galleries.  If you want an art gallery, there's a few of them in the Distillery as well.

If you're really set on bringing your caterer, there's places like The Great Hall, St. Lawrence Hall.
  • Options
    Hi Jill -
    I am thinking of this venue as well. Getting excited, but they're out of office for a few days, so now I get antsy and impatient! Haha!
    I was only sent the a la carte menus, did you see all inclusive packages?
    Is there a minimum spend? We're thinking of a Saturday, so it may be a little different.
    A room rental fee?
    We're thinking of 150 guests, so if they want a minimum of 250 and we don't make it, do you know the penalty?
    I hope it's not too good to be true! :)

Thanks,
    Sarah

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_grand-luxe-venue-any-good?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:4285b91a-cd20-4032-a944-bc00afceab83Post:78291a4b-7fb2-4761-90b6-3168224c8ade">Grand Luxe venue - any good?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, any reviews of the Grand Luxe event venue (Bayview and Finch) would be greatly appreciated. I am going to see the venue today. Anyone have feedback on that venue? I Thanks so much in advance, and happy planning! - Jill
    Posted by jilleq[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards