South Asian Weddings
Options

South Asian inspired wedding dress

My son has just become engaged to a lovely young woman most of whose family is from northern India.  Aikta is looking for a dress that's a cross between traditional Indian and western.  My son has asked me to help him find photos of suggested styles as he's coordinating the look of the overall wedding. (Aikta wants DS's help as he's a professional film designer.)  They will be having a Hindu wedding ceremony at a lavish hotel and formal evening reception.  Any suggestion for dress websites would be greatly appreciated.  I've spent hours on-line and only been able to find either traditional dresses or red (bride's desired colour) western style dresses.  Help, please.

Re: South Asian inspired wedding dress

• Options
    MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there and Congrats

IMHO I would suggest not buying online but going to indian bridal wear boutiques. 

Where abouts are you located...I'm sure the other ladies can make some suggestions.

If you need suggestions for the Toronto area ...I can give you some names.
  • Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been needing suggestions about Indian Bridal Boutiques in the ATL area.  Anyone?
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. Buying online is a no go. Your odds are not great that way. I'd say custom make the gown! You can add whatever touches you like!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm Christian Indian so we have a little bit of both the eastern and western culture in our ceremony. She can wear a white Sari, it would be a good cross between cultures or she can do what me and all my friends do. We all wear a white dress for the ceremony (to do the fairy tale thing) and wear a sari for the reception. This way she gets a little bit of both!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend who purchased a gorgeous strapless ball gown in red and had a local designer embroider a customer 'indian style' design in thin gold thread. She accessorized with gorgeous Indian kundan jewelry. The whole look worked perfectly!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's a website that has some ideas. I've never ordered from them (and probably wouldn't order online) but maybe this would give you ideas of what can be done to do a combined white wedding dress/South Asian outfit:

http://www.partyandweddingdresses.com/bridal-lehenga-choli-pawd2529.html

If any of her family is going back to visit India, maybe they could take a picture to a shop there...it can be cheaper than Indian shops in the U.S.
  • Options
    R&Rwed08R&Rwed08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there

Just curious is the wedding going to be in the Caribbean that is so cool! If you are looking for pictures there is bargello which I can think of on the top of my head. You can also get it custom designed that is what my cousin and sister-in-law did. My cousin did a two piece lehenga that looked like a gown and my sister-in-law did a gown with a very indian fusion look ivory with gold beading.

Best
    Preet
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards