Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

How to pop the question

I'm about ready to pop the question but I have few things I need to handle first (ask her dad, purchase ring, exec). My problem seems to be that I want everything to be perfect. I want her to have the perfect ring, and I want to ask her at the perfect time and at the perfect place. I have the ring narrowed down to three different ones so that's not to big of problem.

She's a down to earth southern country girl that deserves the best and that's what I want to give her so any ideas that aren't over the top and won't make her suspicious would be great.

Re: How to pop the question

• Options
    -Does she have a Pinterest? Some girls have a 'future wedding board' which might have a few ring ideas. I would also possibly ask a discreet friend or sister if they have suggestions. 

-Do you guys have any special places you go frequently, trips you've been on, dates that are special to you? Maybe it's having the ring and waiting for a good moment as you go throughout a relaxing weekend.

-Think about what 'perfect' means to her. As you read through some of the engagements on here or around the internet what 'clicks' where you think "wow she'd love that". There will be some you read where you know for sure she'd be uncomfortable with.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the best thing would be to let go of the idea that everything needs to be perfect. It will be amazingly special no matter how you propose or what kind of ring she gets (though you might want to try and find out what she likes, or even go shopping together as jewellery is pretty personal). Just don't over-think things! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Don't worry about it being perfect. It will be purely because you propose. I freaked out and cried only an hour before my FI proposed because we were driving to Syracuse and we stopped twice at McDonalds along the way and both times they effed up my order. We barely ever get fast food and I ended up sans breakfast and cried about it (which is very unlike me, I have no idea what my deal was, haha). And believe me, crying over nastyass McDonalds was probably not my FI's idea of a prefect start to his proposal, but it was still the perfect day to me. 

I agree with above about asking a discreet friend and checking her pinterest if she has one. I also feel like if you want it to be a surprise, keeping it not so obviously by not going extravagant is a good idea. Unless she likes that kind of stuff and it wouldn't be a dead give away. But seriously, proposing is special as it is. Don't stress!
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I agree with woodsybride.

I agree that if she has a pinterest account, she most likely has a 'wedding ideas' board (its hard not to!).  see if you can catch her while she's browsing and ask about the site to get her to show you some of her ideas

are any of her friends getting engaged/married? thats another way to casually bring up the subject about what she would like as far as rings/proposal.

hubby and I talked for a few days about rings (about 6-8 months before he proposed). i showed him a few rings i liked, he showed me a few he liked... we talked about stone shape (i liked round diamonds), and setting (solitaire vs sidestones, etc).

his proposal was actually a day outing for us.....we had mentioned in weeks prior that we wanted to do more "fun outings" or dates.  i suggested we go take photos at a park of some waterfalls (he's a photographer), and so we hiked around in the woods for a few hours and took photos. (to this day, he is so happy that I suggested this...since that meant that he didnt have to give any secrets away. haha) his 'perfect' plan was to ask me in front of the huge waterfall, but there were a crowd of people, and some cliff jumpers and such...and so he didnt.   on our way out of the woods he stopped me on the path (literally in the middle of nowhere) and just asked in the middle of the woods!  i dont even care. it was private, and sweet, and one of my favorite moments. we went back to those woods for our engagement shoot, too.

one of my friends led his (now wife) blindfolded to the spot of their first date. that's a bit more over the top/obvious.  but if you can some how manage to visit a meaningful place for the two of you --- that might be a way to go.
    my other friend had their puppy bring the ring to her on christmas while they sat by the tree...

bottom line.  get her imput if you can. let her be a LITTLE involved, but don't tell her exactly what youre up to, or exactly when you're planning things.    don't worry about perfection. just make it honest and meaningful and she'll remember it forever. =)

i will say that if you can plant a hidden photographer, or somehow get a photo/video of the moment....you get bonus points. =P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards