Moms and Maids

MOH/SIL driving me insane!

My maid of honor is my soon to be sister in law. I have had issues with her opinions from the start when we first started planning her outfit.
I asked my maids to wear any black dress, a red sash that I will provide, and any style red shoes.
After going shopping with her about 5 times for a black dress. I suggested we find one online. We ordered one (after several months of looking and scrutinizing every little detail on every black dress). I get it and she tells me she doesn't like it..but after the date that it is refundable. I tell her this and she just lets it go- thank god. Then she wants my fiance to hem it (he can sew!). He tells her he is not conformable working with the material that the dress is made out of but she insists. He waits a month and just tells her the same thing. She then takes the dress and say she will do it herself.

Then she doesn't like the idea of my red sashes. She said it won't look right. I put my foot down and tell her I want it.

After that we are on the hunt for RED SHOES. She doesn't like anything we found. We found about 100 different styles and she hates them all. Now she wants black shoes with a red flower. I told her RED. I'm getting so pissed off. I have 100000 other things to do and all she can do is complain.

I told my fiance this and he just gets defensive about his family. He tells me that he knows she's overbearing but I just have to deal with it???

She also has 2 kids. One of her girls is my flower girl. The other is a baby. She said her husband is afraid that the baby will cry for her during the ceremony so her husband will just let the baby run to her during our ceremony if she cries?! Does this seem like a normal option? Wouldn't the father take the crying baby out of the room during my wedding ceremony?

Am I being crazy? I'm getting so stressed out!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOH/SIL driving me insane!

• Oi.  Just stop talking wedding with her - I don't know what to do about the kid.  If she, her husband, and one child is there, and the baby is there also, they're going to behave the way they want to behave.  I know it's hard to watch how other people disciple or don't discipline their kids, but it's truly none of your business.

BTW your FI needs to stick up for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mohsil-driving-me-insane?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:503a5ae5-195e-4614-9296-54ac703ad771Post:3227ef5a-ea3a-49a6-a16a-82df65ccb8d2">MOH/SIL driving me insane!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My maid of honor is my soon to be sister in law. I have had issues with her opinions from the start when we first started planning her outfit. I asked my maids to wear any black dress, a red sash that I will provide, and any style red shoes. After going shopping with her about 5 times for a black dress. I suggested we find one online. We ordered one (after several months of looking and scrutinizing every little detail on every black dress). I get it and she tells me she doesn't like it..but after the date that it is refundable. I tell her this and she just lets it go- thank god. Then she wants my fiance to hem it (he can sew!). He tells her he is not conformable working with the material that the dress is made out of but she insists. He waits a month and just tells her the same thing. She then takes the dress and say she will do it herself. Then she doesn't like the idea of my red sashes. She said it won't look right. I put my foot down and tell her I want it. After that we are on the hunt for RED SHOES. She doesn't like anything we found. We found about 100 different styles and she hates them all. Now she wants black shoes with a red flower. I told her RED. I'm getting so pissed off. I have 100000 other things to do and all she can do is complain. I told my fiance this and he just gets defensive about his family. He tells me that he knows she's overbearing but I just have to deal with it??? She also has 2 kids. One of her girls is my flower girl. The other is a baby. She said her husband is afraid that the baby will cry for her during the ceremony so her husband will just let the baby run to her during our ceremony if she cries?! Does this seem like a normal option? Wouldn't the father take the crying baby out of the room during my wedding ceremony? Am I being crazy? I'm getting so stressed out!!!
    Posted by slpankuch[/QUOTE]

Are you buying the red shoes for her?  If not, then you do not get to decide which shoes she wears.  If a bride asks that hair be styled a certain way, wear certain earrings, shoes, etc., then the bride pays for it.  Period.

The baby thing....no, that does not sound like a realistic option since the father should be able to handle this, but then again, I do not have children and cannot speak as if I do.

• The bride isn't asking for a specific shoe, but instead a specific color. That means a BM is free to pick out whatever shoe in whatever price range she wants, or wear a pair she already owns. It is therefore, not the brides responsibility to buy her shoes.

As for the baby, yeah, that would really make me uncomfortable. I wouldn't worry about it though. It's not your kid and nothing you can do about it.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Ditto msuprincess. If you're only asking for a specific color, and not a specific style or shoe, then it's on the BP to pay for it. However, if she's your MOH, and they're all pretty much wearing the same thing (diff style of dress yes, but with the red sash etc etc), maybe it could be fun if she wore a black shoe with a red flower on it? It would differentiate her from the other BM's a bit. Just a suggestion, and a nice compromise.

As for the baby, yeah that's a bit weird... and it would make me uncomfortable too if there were screaming children running around the ceremony... But as others have said, there's not much you can do. Give the kid something to play with (a quiet toy...) during the ceremony that will distract her? It's up to the parents, let them worry about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your instructions were pretty simple. Why did you let her suck you into dress shopping and shoe shopping? She sounds like one of those people who likes a  lot of attention. Don't give it to her. Tell her to wear the black dress and red shoes, you will provide the red sash the day of the wedding. End of discussion. If she shows up with the black shoes with red flowers, ignore it. It will look fine. And it's not really worth making a fuss about the shoes.

To answer your question about the baby. I have raised 3 children. It's instinctive, I thought, to remove screaming babies from the scene, since it's most alarming to the parents. There are those few clueless parents, who are the exception. Can you set up a 'quiet room' for parents to take their children, if they get restless? If you can, make sure the parents know it's availabe and ask the officiate to request the baby be brought to the quiet room if she starts to cry. If that's not an option for you, then you will have to ignore that, too. Like the others said, you can't decide how and when someone else disciplines her kids. But I get why your annoyed. It sounds like she's looking for a photo op.

• Your shoe request is totally reasonable, and her demand for a black shoe instead is totally pointless and irrational. Tell her she can wear ANY RED shoe, and if she really hates them for some reason, she is more than welcome to change into whatever she wants shoe-wise for the reception.

The baby thing would drive me insane. I read a horror story online one time where someone let their little boy up front for the ceremony and he ended up going up to the MOH and lifting her skirt up, exposing her to the whole church! I would let her know firmly that there is a place her husband can take the crying baby and leave it at that.
  • Ohhh boy!!! I feel your pain!!! I did a similar thing, trying to be a reasonable and considerate bride (I've had wayyy to many unflattering BM dresses in my past!) I told my BP to select their own grey dresses...gave them the entire spectrum to choose from as far as the specific colour goes..well, my MOH has decided that no dress is good enough for her...they are "too long", "too short", "too wedding-y" (umm...it's a wedding?!?!?) My wedding is still four months away, but seriously, I'm exhausted!!! Now her thing is that there are no such thing as grey dresses, and she wants yellow...and don't even get me started on the hair!!!

My advice for you (and I guess myself) would be decide how important it is to you. If you would rather focus on the other aspects of your wedding, because, let's face it...she is just one of those people that can't stand to not be in the spotlight... then just let her do whatever. Everyone at your wedding will know based on the other BMs that there was a specific plan in place - black dress, red sash, red shoes...and she will look like the idiot who couldn't pull it together.

OR,

You could have a bridezilla moment and remind her that it's yours & your FI day, she agreed to be MOH and that comes with a responsibility. She need to set an example for the other girls and make your life easier, not harder. If she doesn't like it, tough. She can choose your outfit in her wedding.

Either option I would support :) Good luck!

• Thanks everyone. You all had great advice. I think I will just say I have too many other things to worry about and I want red shoes and a black dress for all BMs. My other BMs were able to find dresses and shoes with no problems so find some by July!

As far as the kid thing, I think I might talk my MIL about it. She might be able to talk to her daughter on other opinions to control crying. I do have a dressing room that they could go into.

If these things don't work, I will have my fiance deal with it or have  a bridezilla moment..haha fosterlara0!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards