North Carolina
Options

Married with...children

Hi ladies! Here's the deal it seems as though my guest list has a child adult ratio of 3-1!! Having a daughter myself I am not wanting to restrict our day to adults only so I'm wondering if anyone has used a reputable onsite childcare service that they loved? Both ceremony and reception is being held at the Celtic Court at the Mad Boar in Wallace, NC and I would greatly appreciate any reveiws anyone has on attending events there as well.
Be still and know... Wedding Countdown Ticker www.weddingwire.com/teamfaison

Re: Married with...children

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't really help with the whole childcare question, but I did have a similar situation with our guest list as well. Our venue holds 75 people, 35 of the 75 on our list were children. FI has a big family and all of his cousins have 3 kids... since we have a daughter, I didn't want it to be no kids, we thought about having just the children in the wedding party, but then that would limit some of our close friends from coming because they have kids, and there's always the possiblity they wouldn't be able to get a babysitter.

Since 80% of our kids were from FI's family, I talked to FMIL about it, and she called them and talked to them about the wedding and pretty much got an idea if they were going to be coming or not, and most of them aren't coming. FI is from NY, so that's a really long trip with three kids under 10.

Another thing I'm doing at our reception for the kiddos, we are having a kids table, and I'm putting a sand bucket (I'm getting married at the beach) at each child's place setting... and I'm filling it with a coloring book that I made with wedding stuff, a wind wheel thing (I honestly don't know the name of it) some leis in our wedding colors, glow braclets in our wedding colors, goldfish and fruit snacks, etc. Just some stuff to keep them entertained so their parents can have a good time. And I've inlisted my youngest cousin (She's 14) to be my "babysitter" at the reception and watch over them.

HTH!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much this most definietly helps!
    The venue has a raised level of seating on the far right side so I'm hoping to turn that into an activity center and make individual goodie bags as well.
    Do you think having a media center would be tacky?
    ex: movie playing and maybe a Wii station.
    Be still and know... Wedding Countdown Ticker www.weddingwire.com/teamfaison
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_married-withchildren?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:45457a55-09e4-4db5-ac14-13d62c11bc7fPost:93dccd1b-8703-4b0d-b286-ec71589830c5">Re: Married with...children</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you think having a media center would be tacky? ex: movie playing and maybe a Wii station.
    Posted by Mrs.Faison[/QUOTE]

I think the kids and their parents would LOVE you if you did this.  Keeping the kids busy when otherwise they would probably be bored to death, and allowing the parents some time to enjoy the reception - what's tacky about that??  I guess the only thing I'd be concerned about would be if the kids were going to get loud while playing the Wii, but that depends on how well behaved they are!

EDIT -- Come to think of it, if there was a Wii at our reception I probably wouldn't see FI or his groomsmen/friends all night so maybe it wouldn't be a good idea :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think having an entertainment center in a corner would be fun for them, but would they be able to hear the movie/game with the music? Is there another small room at your venue you could set up for that purpose?

Edit: If you go with the movie idea, Michael's has popcorn bags (complete with the red and white stripes, just like the movie theater) in the section with the kraft paper gift bags. That would be a really cute addition.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_married-withchildren?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:45457a55-09e4-4db5-ac14-13d62c11bc7fPost:93dccd1b-8703-4b0d-b286-ec71589830c5">Re: Married with...children</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much this most definietly helps! The venue has a raised level of seating on the far right side so I'm hoping to turn that into an activity center and make individual goodie bags as well. Do you think having a media center would be tacky? ex: movie playing and maybe a Wii station.
    Posted by Mrs.Faison[/QUOTE]

I would be worried about them fighting/getting loud over whos turn it is next--even with the 4 player mode.  I am thinking about doing kid friendly stuff since I am in the youngest cousin classification and my older cuzs have many many little boys! total with FI's family we will have at least 30 kids under 10; most of them boys!  I like the coloring book stuff.  I was thinking to get a short table with short chairs and cover the table with paper instead of linens. The centerpiece would be an arrangment of coloring items- no marker but colored penicals/crayons etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards