Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon questions

So our honeymoon will be FI and I's first big trip (both of us have never been out of the US). We're not sure where to even start planning.  We definately want somewhere warm and tropical and we're open to cruises.
Did you use a travel agent or book on your on?
Has anyone ever bought a livingsocial or groupon escape deal before?
Where do we even begin??
image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Honeymoon questions

• I think its a great idea to go thru a TA. You dont pay them anything extra - they get paid by the resort that you end up booking. But they can be a great wealth of knowledge and give you some great tips and suggestions. Just tell them what you are looking for, and they will start throwing options at you. You can then take those options, do some research on them, and narrow down to the one you like best. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We went through expedia.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I agree with using a TA. It's a great way to figure out where to go that's in your budget.  Tripadvisor can also be a great resource once you narrow your decision down to a few hotels
  • I went through a local travel agent for our May 2012 honeymoon.
  • I went through a travel agent as well.  I was able to give them our budget and they could tell us the type of places we could go and for how long.  Much faster than expedia if you are like us and totally indecisive.

Anniversary
  • If you are not seasoned travelers this is not the trip to DIY.

The world is a big place.  Where do you want to go? What's your budget? How much time do you have?

From the US you can get to the carribbean relatively cheaply but if you want something more exotic like Austrialia, Fiji or Bora Bora you will pay more. 

If you have truly never been anywhere, a cruise can be a nice overview of lots of places.  Check out www.cruisecritic.com
  • I agree with what other people are saying. Go to a local travel agent and see what they suggest. Make sure you have your budget ahead of time and your must haves.

• We didn't go through a TA.  I think first you should sit down and think aout where you want to go.  You should think about what you want to do, what time of year you are going, out of the US or not, as well as your budget!!!

for example of my FI and I, we are going to Santorini.  I was looking into AI resorts like sandels and the like but he had already been to a lot of places that they are located like Mexico, Jamaica, etc.  We wanted to pick somewhere where neither of us had been but always wanted to go.

Again we didn't use a travel agent because both of us are really good at planning trips and they will just hike the price up.  It all depends how comfortable you ar going somewhere without it being backed by a TA.

We are also not planning to get the travel insurance because we know we are both going to end up going.  No one is backing out here.  Plus it made the trip a few grand more expensive.  We can back out of our hotel up to like 14 days before but the flights are already crazy expensive and it would make it almost twice as much each way for each flight!!

We used booking.com which is party of priceline.com and were able to read all sorts of reviews, view maps as to where the location is on the island and all sorts of cool features.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • i disagree with just going to a local travel agent. ask your friends, coworkers and families etc.... for recs of ones that they've used and liked.
    have a budget available and a few likes/dislikes and ask them what they can do for you.

"Again we didn't use a travel agent because both of us are really good at planning trips and they will just hike the price up.  It all depends how comfortable you ar going somewhere without it being backed by a TA."
    sorry but this is just untrue. TAs can often get similar or better deals and being good at planning has nothing to do with if you use a TA or not. I often plan trips (as I'm great at it and that's my fave part) and then just tell my TA what to book and she does all of the dirty work for us. we travel a lot and i've found that finding a good TA is worth it's weight in gold.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards