Interracial Weddings

New to this board

Hi I'm trying to see how I could make my side of the family and my FI side fell comfortable at the ceremony/reception... My side is White/African American then my FI side is Columbian/Cuban... I'm going to have the different types of food and music I want to know would it be anything else I could do...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New to this board

• rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    That's all we did & everyone got along just fine. Our parents met for the first time a few days before & my mom acted like an ambassador by introducing her brothers & sisters to my in-laws who dont' speak English. To me, it doesn't matter what your background is or what language you speak. All adults should have the capability of getting along in any situation, so I didn't feel the need to do anything special to cater to that.
  • veunicaveunica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    @ rlavach thx :) some of his family don't speak english either
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    No problem. Just ask a few key family members on each side to introduce themselves. You know, the ones that are perhaps more open and personable. All you need is for that one person to open it up. I'd also stay away from making each family sit on separate sides. I'd rather encourage unity rather than separation.
  • mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Take advantage of what you know about your guests.   I purposely had two really talkative people flanking each side to keep conversation up.  One of them has a really large family and really likes that atmosphere so I had her on my (older) family's side and the other speaks Japanese and English so I put our Japanese guests across from her.  It worked really great and we actually ended up not having time for the wedding games I had planned because everyone was just so content chatting while they ate and drank.

If you have more than one table, I would ditto Rlavach and mix them up.  Put a good mix from each family at every table with one or two talkative people at each one.  If there's a language difference, try to have a person who can translate at each table, too.
  • veunicaveunica member
    ok thanks alot everyone it really helped :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am new here too.  All you really need is good food and good music.  Some of FI's family don't speak English and none of my family speak Spanish but I am not worried at all about the night.  People will mingle and say hello (this will be the first time so much of my family will be intermingled with so many of his).  It'll be a night of fun and I am sure even though people will get introduced, people tend to stick with the ones they know and I am fine with that.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • veunicaveunica member
    @ librababy that's the same problem I have most of his family just speak spanish and mine just speak english...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards