Second Weddings

Re: Grammar

• My female boss, who is wildly successful, runs all her presentations by me before she prints them for spelling & grammar editing. It's something I take great pride in (I was 5th grade spelling bee champ). She sends emails to clients with improperly spelled words which I don't point out to her, but whenever I see them, I cringe. We wouldn't get anything done if I had to check every email...........
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Good article!

right1 ... You are, of course, a woman after my own heart.  I have a personal campaign against the "Misuse and Abuse of the Apostrophe."  My husband knows when I've read something which slaughters the English language.  When did your become an acceptable substitute for you're?  When did adding an apostrophe and an s become the way to make a noun plural?  Oh, the shame!  Oh, the indignity.  Sorry, I lost myself there for a moment.
      Embarassed

Sue ... Are you able to suggest spell check for your boss' email program?  Perhaps the next time you're asked to review and edit a presentation, you could casually bring up spell check on email (how you use it, how you love it!) and walk her through how to set it up or do it for her.
  • Lisa, she knows about spell check. With her it's more about where to place the apostrophe, and some of the words she actually uses are spelled right, just not the right word for the context. Her errors are exactly what you detailed above, for a plural word she has an apostrophe s, etc.

I don't mind doing the checking, the only issue I have is that she will spring it on me last minute the day before a presentation and the item I'm checking has 40 pages, LOL. She's a wonderful boss, so I don't mind it.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_grammar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:08a06dbb-0833-497a-a300-4e5e39d0e999Post:7ff756e7-b528-4d36-865a-55fa1cee4c11">Re: Grammar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lisa, she knows about spell check. With her it's more about where to place the apostrophe, and some of the words she actually uses are spelled right, just not the right word for the context. Her errors are exactly what you detailed above, for a plural word she has an apostrophe s, etc. I don't mind doing the checking, the only issue I have is that she will spring it on me last minute the day before a presentation and the item I'm checking has 40 pages, LOL. She's a wonderful boss, so I don't mind it.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

She's lucky to have you.  Keep up the good work!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards