Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Wedding Hair - what to do???

Ok, this is my very first post on The Knot. Help me out ladies, please. I'm getting married and I can't seem to figure out what to do with my hair. Key pieces of info that might be good to know:

I have long hair (covers my chest)
I have bangs
My hair is very straight and WILL NOT hold a curl
I am wearing a strapless dress during the summer time. 
The wedding will be mid-day, so it's not a formal evening event 

I can't decide if I want an up-do or a half-up, half-down 'do. I like braided details and wispy things... Someone told me that long hair is not easy to work with for an up-do... I like the idea of letting my hair give me a little coverage since my dress is strapless and sometimes I can feel a little too bare in a strapless dress, thus making the half-down idea appealing...

Given these factors, can anyone recommend a hairstyle? Or an online source for pictures of hairstyles that would fit my hair type? (Yes, I have googled all types of combinations of these key-words, but the results can be overwhelming.) What do y'all think?? Pictures of ideas would be super!!

Re: Wedding Hair - what to do???

• If doing a half updo makes you more comfortable, then go for it. The knot even has a hairsytle section with some nice ideas. You make want to take into consideration that you are having a july wedding I'm assuming in Atlanta. If you go with a simple updo like a low bun or some sort of braid, it will keep your hair off you and keep you cooler and also you won't have to worry about what the humidity will do to your hair then either.

• Sounds like I have similar hair - long, straight and hates to curl and to be styled at all. Hairspray makes it knot and look like dreadlocks. Luckily my friend is my hairstylist so I'm going to do a half up-do for the ceremony and pictures and then she's going to slap some more bobby pins in there and do an up-do for the reception. I want to be able to see the length in the pictures but I don't want to worry about it all night or have it look like a bird's nest so putting it all up for the reception seems like the best idea for me. You might want to talk to your hairstylist to see if there's a half up-do she could do that could quickly and easily be made into an up-do.

Sorry I don't have pictures but the Knot's hair pictures are a good start.
  • Honestly, if you're getting married in Atlanta in the summer, I feel like it is going to be HOT. I would do a full updo just to get your hair off your neck and shoulders - you'll probably be a lot more comfortable.
  • I dont know who told you that longer hair is harder to do an updo on. I do hair for a living and I'd prefer the hair to be longer than shorter. There is so much more you can do with long hair! And as for people who say there hair doesnt hold curl, that is not true.. If your working with the right products and the right brands for curling irons, you should have no problem with your hair curling and staying all day! But I agree with above, if you are in Atlanta, I would maybe go all up.
  • Go on pinterest and type "half updo".  Lots of great pictures come up.  I'm doing the same!

• I have long hair too but had no problem braiding it into an updo. My hair is also thick and I got married in August and couldn't imagine having it down- the single most annoying thing to me is hair sticking to the back of my neck in the summer! Are you wearing a weil? A shorter-length veil could provide the additional coverage that might make you feel more comfortable without the weight of having your hair down. Although, I'm plus-size and wore a strapless dress and considered wearing my veil the whole time but on the day of, I got tired of it sticking to me (it was cathedral length) and just wore a hair flower instead.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I've always had long hair and have had lots of updos work well. I agree with PPs that I would (and I am) taking the heat into consideration when thinking about hair. My hair is really curly and willl be a frizzy mess if I left it down, I also don't want to be hot and uncomfortable, so I would wear whether it wa straight or curly. You know yourself best and if you know it doesn't bother you to wear your hair down in the heat, then do it...I'm a Rhode Islander so maybe I have less tolerance of our hot summers since we have very varied seasons.
  • I am a stylist and the only thing about longer hair and an updo that m,akes it "harder" is the time usually but that is what you are paying for. there are all kinds of upos that can be done with braids if you truly feel that curls are not for you but ALL hair will curl if a stylist knows what to do so just talk with yours about your concerns and make sure they feel confident and DEF do a trial run
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards