Favors

Favor - Hand Painted vs Food

Our wedding will be on the beach on Cape Cod.  My future mother in law is an artist, and I had the idea that for favors she could paint Cape Cod beach scenes on 5x7 canvas panels.  She is more than happy to do this, and I know I would appreciate it (not sure if all the guests will tho), just wanted to know what eveyone else thinks?  Should we just go with something edible?

Re: Favor - Hand Painted vs Food

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds really nice, but I would skip it because its a ton of work for your FMIL and I would feel awful when people left them on the table. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its a really great idea, but I do agree with PP that it seems like quite a lot of work ... maybe don't do 5x7's but something smaller, how about magnet/wallet size?
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I personally would love that favor (we have a beach decorated room).  But, like pps said it sounds like a TON of work & not everyone would take one. Maybe she could do a few to decorate your reception & then you could hang them in your home?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    it sounds beautiful, but this is something i'd bring home and put in a closet, it's not my style.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People's taste is art is very, very personal.  I think it would be a shame for your FMIL to go to all the time and effort this will take, only to have them left behind or not appreciated and used by people.

I'd rethink this.  Sorry
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother is an artist and there is no way I'd ask him to do this.  From your post, it doesn't sound like she volunteered her talent, time and supplies.

People sometimes don't understand the cost that goes into artwork.  The supplies alone are expensive and the amount of time that goes into paintings is much longer than anyone expects. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • abarnatchezabarnatchez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Tldh - Guess I should have been more clear! Not sure how you got all of that from my post tho...Of course I would never ever expect her to pay for supplies.  i already found a great site online where you can buy the panels in bulk.  And as for the paints, brushes etc, we were going to give her the money so she could pick out what is best for her. And, yes, she did volunteer her time and talent, as I mentioned in my original post that she was more than happy to do this (she did something similar for her other sons wedding as well). And I do undertsand the cost the goes into her artwork, I have known her for more than 8 years, and she actually lived with my fiance and I for a bit so I have seen her in action so to speak(about 99% of the artwork in our home is hers :)...Also, i didn't mention that we are having a small wedding, about 90 people.  So I was thinking of the idea of doing one painting per couple.  Again, this is just an idea...still playing around with it.  I just wanted to have a favor that was different and personal.  Thanks for all your thoughts/ideas everyone!

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is how I got that from your post:
    My future mother in law is an artist, and I had the idea that for favors she could paint Cape Cod beach scenes on 5x7 canvas panels.  She is more than happy to do this.

She is more than happy to do this =/= she volunteered to do this.

It's great that she did but I've seen friends and family expect my brother to paint something for them for nothing.  One cousin even expected him to paint a mural in her living room for no compensation because they were family.  All of my brother's friends who are artists have had similar experiences.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-hand-painted-vs-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:f9ca8cc5-5643-480e-9683-5ffca753994cPost:572ef8aa-8a82-4baa-ab81-4e5e43f03927">Re: Favor - Hand Painted vs Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that sounds really nice, but I would skip it because its a ton of work for your FMIL and <strong>I would feel awful when people left them on the table. 
    </strong>Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]
    This exactly.  Most people aren't going to have a use for a painting and will probably leave them behind.  I would feel horribly guilty in that situation.  Just do something small and edible and thank FMIL for her generous offer.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • kittykatwi13kittykatwi13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you incorporate the painting in with the center piece and give that away at the end? I like the idea, not sure where it could fit in my house but would probably hang it up if I received it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What if instead, you had her paint a couple of different scenes and then went to a printer and had them make up a set of notecards for each guest. Everyone can use nice notecards
  • yuengling58yuengling58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah.. it's cute but I wouldn't do it. What happens when your FMIL sees people leave them on the table or throw them away?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards