Wedding Party
Options

Choosing Bridesmaids

I have been engaged for 3 weeks now and the questions keep pilling up...
One thing i am having a hard time is choosing members of our wedding party.

My fiancee and I have changed quite alot in the last couple years and gotten rid of some bad seeds in our lives. Therefore we don't have many close friends at the moment, but still would like to have a decent sized wedding party.

My question is how close of a friend does someone need to be in order to ask them to be your bridesmaid or groomsmen? I have a maid of honor, of course. However, what is the standard for choosing your bridesmaid? Would it be odd to ask a girl i worked with for a year , yet have a decent relationship with? Someone i hang out with occasionally, and i don't call everytime i have to vent about something?

How do i choose? And what wouldn't be acceptable? 
Any suggestions would be ever so helpful. 

Thank you kindly :)

Re: Choosing Bridesmaids

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_choosing-bridesmaids-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e8b3675d-8bfa-440b-b416-3586791dc7f0Post:84129ae3-ed51-4851-a4c6-0da781e15c1a">Choosing Bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been engaged for 3 weeks now and the questions keep pilling up... One thing i am having a hard time is choosing members of our wedding party. My fiancee and I have changed quite alot in the last couple years and gotten rid of some bad seeds in our lives. Therefore we don't have many close friends at the moment, but still would like to have a decent sized wedding party. My question is how close of a friend does someone need to be in order to ask them to be your bridesmaid or groomsmen? I have a maid of honor, of course. However, what is the standard for choosing your bridesmaid? <strong>Would it be odd to ask a girl i worked with for a year , yet have a decent relationship with? S</strong>omeone i hang out with occasionally, and i don't call everytime i have to vent about something? How do i choose? And what wouldn't be acceptable?  Any suggestions would be ever so helpful.  Thank you kindly :)
    Posted by kkallen[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Frankly, your wedding party should be your nearest and dearest.  I'd  be weirded out if I was work friends with someone and they asked me to be in their wedding party.  Do you hang out with her outside of work?  As for your friend who you hang out with occasionally, do you consider her a close friend?  I have very close friends who I don't call to vent, but I'd still consider them my nearest and dearest.  Don't choose based on a set number you want to have--choose based on who you can't imagine not having by your side as you get married.

</div>
  • Options
    First, when is your wedding because you don't want ask people until the 7-9 month range at least.  Life can change in a year and as you have experienced, people you were close to before may not be your close friends forever.  Pick your date/venue first and then worry about picking bridesmaids... however, it doesn't hurt to think about who you will pick.  You pick the people that mean the most to you and who you couldn't imagine living without.  Don't pick someone to just fill a quota or be a warm body.  If its a co-worker you are close to, sure go for it, but if its someone you barely talk to you or don't socialize out of work, I probably wouldn't pick them.  If you have sisters or cousins you are close to, those are options; does your FI have sisters you are close to?  I picked my 3 best best friends (we've been friends since we were 8) my FI sister and his sister-in-law; but not just because they are my new "sisters" but are people I actually hang out with and enjoy being around.  I remember wanting "6" people because I liked the even number idea, but then when I really thought about, why would I pick a person just to have an even number?  Silly.  So I have 5 and wouldn't imagine it any other way.   Key word is "close" to.  If you just are close to who your MOH is, then just have a MOH. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks gals, you all answered my question very well. 
    My co-worker that i mentioned, i do hang out with outside of work. 
    But i definitely like the suggestion that i shouldn't worry about chosing my wedding party until it gets closer to the wedding. As of now we haven't even chosen a date and are thinking of sometime in 2014. As you said, alot of things can change in a year. Therefore i have time.
    Thanks ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards