Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Will I regret not having a 1st dance?

My father has made it very clear he refuses to do a father/daughter dance.  It hurts because I am a very sentimental person.  My FI doesn't like to dance and would prefer not to have a 1st dance with me unless I really push it.  Do you think I should push the 1st dance with FI, or let it go?  We basically won't have any planned dances at all if we skip this.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Will I regret not having a 1st dance?

• I would push for it, but that's just me. I LOVED all the "dances" and wouldn't think of not doing them. 

• Ditto bellebride.

Is there a reason why your Dad doesn't want a first dance with you? Maybe as time passes and you start doing your DJ song list, etc you FI will change his mind. I definitely wouldn't push it right now. I, too, enjoyed all of our special dances and would have never thought about not having them.
  • Yeah, I would try to bring him around closer to the wedding. I agree with Belle and Missy, I couldn't imagine not having them.
  • My husband wasn't so keen on the whole idea of a first dance either but we came to a compromise. We had a slideshow playing while we were dancing so people had something else to stare at besides us and about 30-45 seconds into the song, the MC invited other couples to join us on the dance floor so we weren't the centre of attention for the whole time. It worked well for us. Good Luck!
  • I would try to bring him around too.  Our first dance is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would bring him around also...
    Ditto what some PP people said...you don't have to dance by yourself the whole song.  We only did like a minute then the MC invited others in!
  • I think you should def have a 1st dance song it is just one of those "special moments" between the two of you,i agree with pp's you can dance along for a few then have others join,we danced half the song just the 2 of us  then the mc invited our bridal party to join us.
  • I didnt have a Father/daughter dance and only ended up having one w/ H at the pub after party to an Irish rock ballad so.... I say take em or leave em.  :-)

I'd be more concerend w/ the men in your life not wanting to mke you happy on "your day"... do they have social anxiety or something?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_will-regret-not-having-1st-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:daf14e83-1265-41a6-9473-635899af1410Post:347dd4ae-f637-48cf-bcfd-b2cce397bcaa">Re: Will I regret not having a 1st dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about compromising with your FI.  Have a song where you guys dance alone for the first verse and chorus, and then have the DJ open the dance floor for everyone to join you for the rest of the song.  That way, you still get your first dance, but he doesn't have to endure more than 2 minutes of it.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

I love the pictures, video and memory of the first dance. Just compromise and make it short for FI.
  • We didn't have a father/daughter dance, and it wasn't missed! 

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • We also danced for about a minute by ourselves and then pulled everyone up onto the dancefloor. And, my Dad and I weren't into the whole father-daughter dance either.
  • I love our pictures from our first dance, and while we certainly did not practice and were not really good dancers up there, it was really nice. 

I let DH choose the song that we danced to so that he would be more comfortable with it (I drew up a list of 11 or so songs that I would be ok with).  He picked one that I thought was a little ambitious but it was fine in the end since he loves it and sang along with it.  Kind of shut everyone else out that way.
  • Like pp I let FI chose the song so that he would be more comfortable. I actually think at this point he's more excited about it than I am! We are NOT doing any parent dances though. I really don't think they'll be missed. Sitting through three dances is kind of boring as a guest, not gonna lie.
  • My first dance was less important than I thought it was going to be. It didn't feel that special, but I think it was because my DJ started playing it and we were on opposite sides of the room with no warning. We had to find each other in the crowd, and then it felt ackward because everybody was like "oh..are they doing that now?"

I think it would be special for you though. I really think you might regret not doing it.
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards