Michigan-Detroit
Options

I need reception/ceremony ideas!!!

Hi everybody, 

I got engaged about a month ago and we are having the worst time trying to figure out where to have our reception!  We live in SC but are planning the wedding in Michigan because thats where were from....

I have been looking all over the Detroit/Ann Arbor area, we are looking to have a July 23 2011 ceremony but are flexible.  We have a 30k budget, would like to keep the reception under 15k WITH a full bar! We are expecting around 130 guests. 

I dont want a traditional ballroom reception, looking for something a bit more light, lots of windows etc.  

I am just looking for ideas/advice/recommendations!! Most places I have checked are either a.) Booked or b.) too expensive! I am feeling really discouraged and could use some help!

p.s. I've already checked, Pine Knob carriage house, Henry Ford Museum, Meadowbrook, Michigan League, and Twin Lakes golf course. 

Re: I need reception/ceremony ideas!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you take a look at the sticky post above? All the Knotties have posted their vendors they are using/have used. That's a good start.

Also, what area are you looking to stay in? Detroit/Ann Arbor is a pretty big area.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

First of all, welcome and congratulations!! You have a lot to work with considering your budget and guest count.

Check the sticky post at the top for other options but one that I would recommend is Oakhurst. It is stunning! And with your budget and guest count, it may work. It's a golf course but the clubhouse and views are incredible!

Other suggestions would be the Westin at Detroit Metro Airport. They have a beautiful atrium that can be used for ceremonies and receptions.

Also check out the Colony Club in Detroit, or Detroit Yacht Club. Both beautiful venues with ceremony sites as well.

Good luck with your planning!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: I need reception/ceremony ideas!!!:
    [QUOTE Also check out the Colony Club in Detroit, or Detroit Yacht Club. Both beautiful venues with ceremony sites as well. Posted by sunkissed212[/QUOTE]

I second the Colony Club...I've been to many events there and it is breathtaking. Also check into the Masonic Temple in downtown Detroit. I wanted to have my reception there, but their Saturday night minimum is something like $12K or $15K, which is way over my budget. You can also have your ceremony there.

Good luck and congrats!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Detroit board!

One of our brides, Brandi, (brobin1) had her reception in May at the Metro Park "glass house" in Harrison Twp. Here is a link to the explanation of it:

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/rental_details.aspx?ID=9&RID=118

Her pics were lovely, and it's surrounded by glass and not a "ballroom" type place at all. She didn't use their recommended caterer, but brought in a friend. Not sure how flexible they are about outside caterers. She can tell you more. According to her vendor review (see sticky on first page) she gave them an A and they charged $600 (prices change annually I"m sure)

You didn't mention where your ceremony is, but I'm sure you can have it there if you need to. Metro Park is directly accessible from 16 Mile exit off I-94 (I think it's called Metro Parkway there).

Good luck. I can't think of anything off the top of my head other than that location that fits your vision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am soooo new to the planning stage. I now live in Taylor Mi. May be a little bit far for you BUT.. Taylor Meadow has a great window venue and good food and a price that includes the bar, some linens,DJ,Food, Beer Wine, DJ, Photographer and a simple cake. I think its $64.99 pp this is out of my price range but well within yours and a great idea because you are out of state. Taylor Meadows Golf Course on Ecorse Rd. I live just across the street.
    Katrina
  • Options
    amyn1919amyn1919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     check out the Roostertail in Detroit and White Lake oaks in White Lake:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    emmie2003emmie2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Lafayette Grand in Pontiac would be a wonderful option for you.  It's in a great location and a beautiful building.  I think it's pretty affordable and the food is AMAZING!!!  The people there are very easy to work with and help out a ton!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards