Chit Chat

So incredibly happy but also hurting...

This is not the typical "chit chat", yet I've seen some conversations along these lines, so I hoped I could talk to you ladies. I'm hoping someone may be able to connect on some level or offer a bit of advice. It's very difficult to portray my relationship through a few words on a computer ... but I'll try my best. 

My boyfriend has not formally proposed yet, but we picked out the ring and although he's trying to keep it a surprise, I know he asked for my father's blessing yesterday! We've been together almost 5 years now.. and I am the happiest I've ever been in my life! Not just because we're about to be married ... but because of where we are in our lives. The love we have for each other, the true happiness that cannot be put into words. I look at him and just smile. I'm pretty sure you all know what I mean! :)

Feeling so happy with what I have in my life and where we are brings me to also feel so sad. I'm upset with myself because of the biggest mistake I made in our first months together. We met in college just before he graduated... I was 21 and he was 22. We knew each other for 1 month before he and his best friend signed on to travel for work on the other end of the country for 11 months. No time off for more than a day or two here and there. I still had 1 more year to graduate. We made the decision to stay together because we were in love. We knew it was crazy to have met so soon before he'd leave, but knew we met for a reason. The distance wasn't too bad at first, but I only visited every 2-3 months. After a few months the arguing and tension took a huge toll on us. He would say hurtful things he didn't mean ... I was so hurt. I wasn't happy about him always going out, yet he wanted to experience the new areas of travel. Our lack of communication and connection led me to turn to someone else. That is no excuse and I take responsibility for my actions. No one forces anyone to do anything... but I wasn't thinking... and if I was, I was being selfish and only thinking about my happiness at that time. I was open and completely honest with him about everything that went on, nothing physical, but did spend time with a person and I should never have put myself in that position. We both made the decision to move forward and he forgave me. When his travels were over, I graduated, and it was finally then that it felt like our relationship truly began. Our first year together was apart. We were finally together... and got to know one another and our families, which sounds so odd, but it's true. We learned what went wrong and how to deal with conflicts much better... respectfully. Our very rocky past allowed us to grow much stronger and learn. He never holds anything against me, the problems have stayed in the past, and the trust has never been an issue for either of us. 

Four years have gone by since this all happened, yet with a proposal coming soon, I all of a sudden feel this huge rush of guilt. I feel like I don't deserve him, I know I don't. I feel like what I did is not supposed to happen with the person you spend the rest of your life with... but it did. The truth is, our relationship took a 360 degree turn after we overcame those obstacles, and had he not given me a second chance, I wouldn't have the love of my life right now. I just wish it didn't have to happen that way. What I would give to turn back time. I expressed to him a few days ago how I felt. I cried to him and told him how horrible I feel for doing what I did and that we went through such a horrible first year to be where we are today. Proving what a wonderful man he is, he comforted me. He said it no longer bothers him and understands why things happened the way they did... we were both guilty of doing or saying things we shouldn't have. I of course told him that I made my own decisions and he agreed. When I told him how horrible of a person I am, he jokingly said that I am "such a horrible caring person" in an attempt to make me smile or make light of the situation. He has assured me that nothing similar happened on his end, and I have no doubt. This is what also makes me feel horrible... that it would be me to make such a horrible decision. It makes my heart ache that he has forgiven me and gives me unconditional love, yet I cannot forgive myself. I may be being dramatic or focusing way too much on this ... but it's just what I began to think about. I have learned so much about myself and I would die before I ever hurt him again. 

I am going to the spend the rest of my life with him. There is no doubt in my mind about that. I'm just trying to find a way to make peace with the mistakes I made and and somehow forgive myself for what I did. 

Thank you 
I will probably be deleting this soon because of how sensitive this is to me. 

Re: So incredibly happy but also hurting...

• I think you need to give yourself permission to forgive yourself. PP is right about talking to someone to work through that - and those general 'not worthy' attitudes. I understand exactly what you mean in describing your conflict, and think you deserve to work past it for continued happiness!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • I've never cheated on H but I did cheat on boyfriends before I met him. When we first started seeing each other I tried to, well not hide, but just not bring it up because I mean who would want to date someone with that track record? But finally I realized that it wasn't fair and he should know.  How can you build a relationship on something that if he didn't know that going into it? If he found out later?  It was really hard when I told him, for both of us but telling him was definitely an important step in our relationship.  I was completely honest about everything in my past. I felt like shiiit but also like a huge weight had been lifted and I was finally able to feel guilt-free and our relationship flourished. H trusts me and I trust myself.

It's hard to forgive yourself when you've done something horrible like that but eventually you need to learn that you can't let things in your past ruin your future.  EVERYONE makes mistakes. Your soon-to-be FI understands that and has forgiven you.  Don't let that get in the way of your relationship.
    June 16, 2012
  • I recently took a course on forgiveness and reconciliation. Throughout the course, there were 3 steps that most people had to face when forgiving themselves and others. The first steps is to rediscover your humanity. You are a person. You are not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. That is the harsh reality of the situation. Once yoiu come to terms with your human side, then you can move on. Step 2 is giving up your right to revenge/giving up being the victim. this is when people say that you might be throwing a pity party or somrthing mean like that. You need to stop feeling sorry for what happened and accept what has happened. You need to realize that you cannot change your past. Once you've done that, then the final step is wishing yourself welness and happiness in your future. You need to want to be happy and want to be free of the guilt and then you can let it all go.
    This was just some tips from an undergrad course at a local college and if these tips do not seem to help, talking to a professional might really help. Sometimes its just nice to talk to someone who isn't judging you, but rather is trying to help you. Good luck with everything and no matter what has happened, you deserve to be happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards