Christian Weddings

Kansas? (And Some Prayer Requests)

FI is graduating with a Biblical Studies and Youth Ministries degree in December, I graduate in May, wedding is in June.  One of his friends, who is a Youth Pastor in California, met a pastor at a conference who is looking for a Youth Pastor from our school.  So, friend called FI and FI told friend to give the pastor his contact info.  The church is in Marysville, Kansas, which, according to my Google abilities, is in Marshall County in Northeast Kansas.  Does anyone know anything about this area?  (I know I could go to the Kansas board, but I thought I'd ask here first)

Prayer Requests- While I KNOW that I want nothing more than for us to be where God wants us, I don't handle change very well. I never have...and I know it's something I need to work on.  In the few hours that we've known about this I've thought of these issues:

1)My family...and how to tell them if this happens.  My dad has told both of us that he wants us to go where we're supposed to be.  My mom has her Bible Study group in direct prayer for us to be no more than 4 hours from home...my aunt is on my mom's side, and most of my family assumes we're staying in Virginia.  I've been thinking more about ways to get there and THEN tell her where we've moved to than actually sitting down and talking to her about it.

2) I've never been more than 2 hours from home for more than a week.  17 hours away is mind boggling to me right now.

3)   (And admittedly the whiniest)- If FI goes to Kansas, we'll be 17 hours apart for 6 months before the wedding.  My roommate's husband has been in Iraq since November, so I know it could be 1,000x worse/more stressful/heart wrenching, but thinking about it makes my heart hurt.

Thanks, ladies!

~Emily

Re: Kansas? (And Some Prayer Requests)

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about Kansas so I can't help there.  I do know what it is like to be really close to family and move away.  I grew up in NY and after graduating college, I moved to MD because of a job.  My sister lived in MD so it wasn't that big of a deal.  My parents visited here a lot and we often went home so it wasn't bad. 
    Fast forward about 6 years and I was offered a job in Colorado.  I didn't know anyone there, but felt it was God's will that I go there.  (I had been on vacation with my dad and we visited some of his college friends on the vacation.  We did a lot of driving so I spent a lot of time praying.  His friend's wife said out of the blue, "I think you should move to Colorado."  She had no idea about the job possibility.  I felt that was God's answer to my prayer.)  It was hard to live far away from family but I did it for 1 1/2 years.  I eventually moved back, but I was alone - you'll be with DH.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would encourage you to pray a lot about it.  I would also talk to your mom and aunt to explain that while you want to stay near home, you want even more to follow God's will...wherever that takes you.  It is okay for them to pray for God's will, but it would be good to set expectations that it may not include being in or near VA.

Also, I did LDR with FI until we got married and it worked out.  (We did it for 2 1/2 years.)  It was hard, but with Skype, internet, phone - the time will pass quickly and before you know it, you'll be together again.

I will also pray for you and hopefully other ladies here will do the same.  I know that it will all work out. 
  • edited December 2011
    I will pray for you. I don't handle change well at all, so I know how you feel. I moved away from home after college and now I am 3 hours away from home and it is very difficult, I miss my family. Eventually you will get used to it, and you will be with your best friend/new hubby. When I moved, I had to pray really hard that God would help me with the change and comfort me during it, I will do the same for you - if that is in His will for you guys to move that far away.

I think you should explain how important it is to your Mom and Aunt that they comfort you that wherever you go they will love you and try to visit and reassure them vice versa.

I really hope things will work out for you Emily -- keep us updated so we can keep praying!
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the prayers, ladies!  The pastor hasn't called FI yet, so there really aren't any updates yet, but I promise I will as soon as anything happens.  We've decided that we will bring it up with my parents if they either 1) ask how the job search is going or 2) this gets to the point of interviews, whether they bring FI out there or not.  Thanks again!

~Emily
  • edited December 2011

It's a really nice area - not too busy but not too far from the city, either. PM me if you want . . . best of luck to you both.

img_9694 Anniversary
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The pastor of the church contacted FI today and asked for his resume.  FI sent it to them.  We're both praying that God will make His will abundantly clear and that this door will either swing wide open or be slammed shut. Thanks for the prayers!!
  • edited December 2011
    Being a child with parents in the ministry (dad is a pastor), I have moved about 15times but Kansas is one place we haven't moved. I can understand how hard that must be for you. I lived 6hours away from home when I was in my first year of college but then I moved back to save money for the wedding. Fi graduating with his BA in biblical studies in December and right now is looking at seminaries. One is here in the area where we currently plan to live and the other is in NC. We want to go to NC but if we do I will be 12 hours from my parents. It's hard not knowing where God will lead you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Psalm 25:4
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards