Jewish Weddings

Unusual question. Sorry long post.

I have a rather unique situation and am not sure how to handle it. I am hoping to get some advice. My husband and I were married in May of 2010. We had both been married previously and each brought children to the marriage. My husband's ex was not how shall we say this nicely...accepting of his moving on. I should add they had been divorced 3 and a half years by this time. Oh and I should probably add she is a bit crazy...okay not a bit, she has a personality disorder. Anyway she flipped out and the girls were not allowed to be in our lives for a couple years. We were granted custody of the girls last Nov and actually took custody in Dec after the ex returned them following a parental abduction. Just recently the girls have asked us about our wedding and why they weren't allowed to be part of it when my kids were. We watched the video of the day and explained all the traditions. When they were getting ready to go to bed last night they asked if they could have a do over and if we could have the wedding again so they could be a part of it. We are seriously considering it, but are wondering if this kind of thing is done over, especially so soon after the wedding? What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Re: Unusual question. Sorry long post.

• How horrible for the girls. Personally, I would do a small re-committment ceremony so the girls can be apart of the day. And then maybe go out to fancy dinner or something they might enjoy. 

I think it's wonderful that you want them to share your even if your day already happened. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This isn't a long post!

I agree with PP. You can totally do a vow renewal.

I hope your family has some "outside experts" to help these girls cope with all that's already happened to them.

There's lots of possibilities with vow renewals. I know that there are now semi-standard texts for anniversary ketubos. I think it would be special if instead of a "do-over" there was some "do right" aspect of the ceremony. Were there any traditions you left out of your wedding you can do for the first time now?
  • So what did you decide? My brother and SIL had a second wedding after my SIL converted (she was catholic when they got married) and they had a sweet little wedding in the chapel at the shul with a brunch reception. It was small, sweet, and still very meaningful. I think your idea sounds great and very thoughtful to the girls!
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards