Florida-West Coast

Photographer quote....

Ok so what do you all think of what I was quoted for what is included for my low budget photography LOL! We met with a photographer last friday and my budget is kinda small so I can only afford $600 for photography. Included in the quote is 3 hrs of time 2-16x20, 4-8x10,  he shoots between 30-200 shots, photo Album and if we want a CD with all the pictures its $100. Is this good or will 3 hrs be too short? I am planning on having disposable cameras for guest to use and leave so there will be alot of candids from that.

Re: Photographer quote....

• edited December 2011
    Three hours doesn't seem like a lot of time especially if you're having a ceremony and reception. Is everything going to be at one place?

Personally, I would skip out on any printed photos all together or an album from your photog.  That's where they make money.  You can order pics and an album anywhere later on, but you want to have good ones to choose from.  So, I'd rather have more time and more pics and put all the money towards extra time and the CD so you can print your own.

Oh, and 30 shots??  Does he mean fully edited or total??  That is NOT acceptable for $600 and 3 hours worth.  I would make sure that if you do sign with him that there is a much bigger minimum listed in your contract.  You should have at least 200 pics for that amount of time.  GL!
    Brooke + Chavis
    est. 10/10/10

Photobucket CafeMom Tickers
  • CJTeacupCJTeacup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be afraid of the quality of photos you will get, but it's hard to judge without seen the work. You get an album too? What kind of album is this? I know that my photographer's albums starts at $600.00 and up. Also, what kind of coverage will you get with 3 hours? Disposable cameras can get expensive in the long run, you have to pay for film development and you might not get many good pictures at all.
    It's up to you of course, if you like their work, go with it.

• edited December 2011
    You could do better for $600. I met with someone who would do 8 hours for $900 ... so I'm sure you can find someone else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also make sure that the photo's your getting on the CD are High Resolution EDITED photos.  Sometimes they just give you low res and you can't blow them up.
  • edited December 2011

I think that is a terrible quote.  I agree with all the reasons above.  If you find a photographer you really like you should if they will negotiate time v. price with you.  Don't sacrifice the time for things like albums and printed pics.  As long as you have the images you can always create your own album through shutterfly or etsy or snapfish on your own. HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is terrible. I agree, just get the CD with all the printing rights and as much time as you can get. You won't get a lot accomplished in 3 hours. My photographer is $800 for a full day unllimited time and unlimited edited photos. I don't know when you are getting married, but for winter brides she's offering that same package for $600 (I'm a spring bride and received the $600 price because my wedding is on a weekday). Look around, you can find good deals.
    Anniversary Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011

i agree. don't get prints from the photographer. you want to get rights to the photos and i would be weary about anyone who told me they were going to max out at any number of shots no matter how big the number. a good photographer will shoot until he thinks he's gotten everything. can i ask who the photographer is? check online and see if you can find any photography students that maybe go to IADT or any other school in the area that offers photography. some of the students actually know what they are doing and need exposure. any john doe from the street with a camera can call himself a photographer. FI is a graduate of new england school of photography and he gets emails constantly with job leads from people who have contacted the school looking for someone to work for them. also.. be careful about using those disposables. a lot of times they use expired cameras and slap a new cardboard box around them and no one ever knows until you take them in to print. besides.. i don't know how thrilled i'd be to have "myspace" shots of all my guests to put in my wedding album. put the money you were going to spend on those toward your photographer. if you absolutely can only afford 3 hours i'd be sure you have pics of you putting your dress on, and dont do a whole lot of shots of family (bride with mom alone, bride with dad alone, groom with his parents, etc.) to me if you have one good shot of you with your family, him with his, and everyone together it will be fine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyones thoughts, I didnt think this was a good quote either, 3 hrs isnt enough time and he does good work but I already knew that I wasnt gonna want to use him for my wedding, only because I used to see him in the clubs taking pictures back when I was going out and clubbing.....
  • teachermegsteachermegs member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with everyone. I am paying 795 for the entire day. Will he be there all day, no,but I still could if I wanted to

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, where are you guys getting your photographers? Your prices are way too good. I'm paying $1,800.00 for 6 hours, 2 photographers and dvd with 300 images with free e-session.  Also, what do you do with thousands of  images anyway? I want quality not quantity, but that's just me.
  • edited December 2011
    CJ your price is about average for what you are getting. Having 2 photographers is expensive. Personally, I don't have the money for all of that. We barely scrape by in my house. You don't get all of those images. When they say that they mean thats how many they will shoot not necessarily how many images will actually be good.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    p.s. who are you going with? do they have packages with just one photographer? i don't know that this is something we will need to worry about, but of course i'm still worried about it and looking. who is EVERYONES photographer?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MrsCabral, we are using In true colors photography, her name is Marina and she custom make packages based on what you need, i gave her my budget and told her what i would like to have. Of course my budget wasn't enough for what i wanted, so we had to compromise a little, i did want a full day, but i just couldn't get that and I did request 2 photographers.  As far as images, she said we can expect anywhere between 50 to 70 images per hour of photography that will go on cd. We will get printing rights, not the copyright, but we can print them anywhere we want without any restrictions, we can't sell them or submit them for any contests, etc. I'm fine with that, who am i going to sell them to? lol
    I love our engagement pictures that we did with her, so i figured a little splurging on photographer  we like was not a big deal.
    You need to like your photographer work as well as photographer. Go with what you are comfortable with and what you can afford. When i was first looking, I've received quotes anywhere from $400 to 6K from local photographers, it's crazy!!
  • I used Jessica Leigh...Her packages start at $749 for 6 hours and the DVD with printing rights. 

http://www.jleighphoto.com/

• edited December 2011
    thanks guys ;]

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards