Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Wedding Cake Charms

Even though I am in Houston TX, most of my family is from Louisiana and that is where my parents were married. I even have "eaux" at the end of my last name. ^.^ My parents 30th anniversary came up this past Monday, July 18th and I was going through their wedding photos with my mom. I noticed a pic with all her bridesmaids and a few guests standing around the cake holding ribbons, preparing to pull the charms from them. I knew this was an old tradition but didn't realize my mom had done it. I would want to do this as well. What are your thoughts? Would it be neat to continue what my mom did or is this tradition old fashioned? Also where could I find these wedding charms?

Re: Wedding Cake Charms

• edited December 2011
    Here is an informative link. I wanted to have it at DD wedding but since 90% of the guests were from up North I didn't mention it to DD, nor did I want to spend the whole reception explaining it to guest.
    Good luck and I love the idea and it is still done.

http://weddings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Southern_Wedding_Cake_Charms_Tradition
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I plan on doing this too! Etsy has some cake charms that are very cute! Or you can go to an antique/gift shop type place and choose your own charms
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can order them online. Just google it. My best friend had her cake pulls custom made to match the jewelry she had made for us. Having the charm on a pearl bracelet was an excellent idea and something that I'll be able to wear in the future.
  • edited December 2011
    I found them at Royal Standard yesterday! theyre very nice! they also have a huge basket of charms if the package doesnt have enough for your amount of people
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GeauxTigers17GeauxTigers17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Royal Standard has tons! We (my mom and I) have thrown three bridesmaids luncheons recently, and ordered a charm cake for each one since the girls didn't want to do it at the wedding. You can order them online and just have the bakery bake them into the cake. 
  • kerrie86kerrie86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my pulls from MJ's on Metairie road. Their' Louisiana themed, they have TONS of choices, and they were reasonable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chelsealink3chelsealink3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Amanda Songy at wildfireexpressions.com makes custom ones!! She has amazing prices and is really great!!! She can make anything you like!!

• jessandtitusjessandtitus member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I  would also recommend the Royal Standard. I feel like they have the best selection around. I also have been to a lot of weddings where they used cake pulls so I don't think it is old fashioned or anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards