Delaware

Need photog help!

So I spent like 20 hours this week trying to select a photographer and I think my head is close to popping...

Share your experiences and advice!
How did you pick your photog and package?
Who did you go with? Why?

Are you happy with your choice?

Re: Need photog help!

• dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photographer was a tough one for me.  I really LOVE all of the great photojournalistic styles that are so popular now, but I find that they're sooo expensive.  While photographs are one of the most important parts for me, I could only budget so much!

Luckily, I stumbled upon Leah Blaise (Photography by Leah).  When we booked her last fall/winter she was still a photography student.  However, she'd been shooting weddings for a really long time.  When we met with her, I knew right away I loved her style and she seemed to understand and have similar viewpoints as us on how we wanted things represented.

Also, something else that was really important to me was having rights to the phots and having digital copies that I can reprint as needed whenever.  Leah even pointed out how she doesn't like that photographers charge extra for that a lot of times.  She said there's no reason my kids should have to come hunt her down to get permission to reprint our picture for our 25th wedding anniversary!  Also, I'm a big scrapbooker and like to edit/print/craft pictures and really wanted the ability to reprint something in any size that I wanted at any time.

So what's important to you, other than great looking pictures?

Do you want a professionally made album or are you okay with creating your own from an online company?

Do you want rights to your pictures to do whatever you want whenever you want?

Do you want a lot of professionally printed prints/enlargements?  Or is a small amount okay with another company processing more for you later?

How long do you want them for?  Do you want them there from before you get your makeup done until the last person stops dancing?  Or is something less okay with just a few hours capturing the main events?

Maybe some of those questions will help you decide what's most important.  Then see which photographer offers the most of those things.  See if that's in a price range you can afford and go from there!

ETA:  Obviously, our wedding hasn't taken place yet.  However, I'm extremely happy so far with our choice of Leah.  She has since graduated from school and continues to shoot beautiful pictures.  She recently started a Facebook page for her business and continues to update her work often.  It's nice being able to see updated work.  Reassures me when I start doubting myself!

• Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Def want rights and DVD.  I am completely torn on the album.  I think I want one but not necessary a $2000 one.  The enlargements are but I am not sure if we would really hang them around the house so maybe we could print them elsewhere from the DVD.

Time is big to me.  Since we don't want to see each other before the ceremony, our day goes...
    Late AM-get ready
    2pm-pics with family but not seeing each other
    3pm church
    4:15ish back to take more pics
    5:30 or 6pm reception
    10:30 or 11 end

it ends up being like 10+hours.  Ideally I want a photog there for primping to end of reception.  If I have to go 8 hours, then I guess we'll hope the video catches anything photog didn't get at the end.
  • JennLonginoJennLongino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definately feel ya on the photography help. Every photographer I see online that I love is out of my price range. There are a few locally that I was suprised of though. Foschi being one of them - they weren't too expensive. However I'm thinking the only way to know for sure is to meet with a few - especially since you have different hours and things in mind. All photographers i'm pretty sure will customize packages to meet your needs. I want all of my pictures to look whimsical - like a fairytale. Photojournalism at it's finest - without the price tag! I had to take a break as well at looking for photography because like you - my head was about to explode! There are just so many out there!! Let me know what you come up with!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any one familiar with Photography by Tessie?  How about Yesterday and Today?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure how I found my photographer, Dan Salvo of Dazzle Photography, but I am so thankful I came across his website. He is based out of Newark, DE. He started out photographer sports, but moved into wedding photography. I'm not sure how long he's been doing it, but he has an awesome portfolio. He's on Facebook (my engagement photo's are on there: Chris & Jenn Engagement Shoot).

When developing his wedding package he kept in mind everything that bothered him when he was getting married. My FI and I thought it may have been too good to be true, but when we met Dan it ended up being perfect!  There is one package price $2950. He doesn't charge for time, which, like you, I was concerned with. I'm having a full Catholic Mass and there is driving time between the ceremony and the reception. He will be there from when you are getting ready until the last person leaves the reception. He provides you with a flash drive of all the high resolution photos as well as a flash drive with watermarked pictures for everyone in your bridal party (fabulous!). He brings as many photographers/assistants as needed for your day (we will have an additional photographer and an assistant for our wedding for a total of 3). An engagement session is included in the package. You can chose from 3 print options after the wedding (check out his website for more details www.dazzlephotography.com )

We were concerned about there not being an album included, but after discussing with Dan we figure we can get the album we want for around $1000 (12 x 12 flushmount etc.). He does design albums. The one we saw was awesome.

Needless to say, I'm very excited about our photographer. We are also using him to do a cinema highlight video (there are some samples on his Facebook page). Dan has great artistic style and I'm so relieved that we found him and that he fits our budget. He's very easy to work with and we had fun doing the engagement shoot. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Good luck!
    ~Jenn Buying A Home Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks-I am heading to his website...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jenn-just PMed you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board