Flowers

Looking for rustic flowers

I'm just starting with this whole wedding planning process - date is September 2012, and right now I'm focused on flowers.

The wedding will be low key but still classic - I don't want flowers that I'll have to worry about wilting, or anything too fancy and expensive, nothing accented with baby's breath or that sort of thing. I also want a versitile flower, or at least color palate that can cover everything from bouquets, buttoneriers, center pieces and wedding cake.

My first inclination was towards white and green hydrangea. I love hydrangea, and green is both mine and my fiance's favorite color. From what I've seen online hydrangea make a lovely bouquet, and I bet they'd make a lovely cake topper as well.

My other thought was sunflowers. I've got a vase of them at home now, and they're just so vibrant and beautiful, but I fear they might be too big (i don't like small ones) to make a hansome bridal bouquet, and I don't know how I could incorporate them into a cake. (I don't want any sugar or gum paste flowers, and I want a super simple cake where the fresh flower toppers are the stars)

All of that said, I would love to hear from anyone who used sunflowers or hydrangeas, or another kind of flower in a similar way to how I've imagined my flowers!

Thanks!

Re: Looking for rustic flowers

• edited December 2011
    I'm having a Sept 2012 wedding as well.  My bouquet is going to have red dahlias and red sunflowers.  Sunflowers are my favorite, all my BM are going to carry sunflower bouquets as well.  I'm adding wheat to my bouquet to give it a rustic feel.  I just met with my florist today and I'm (impatiently) waiting for my wedding day so I can have my bouquet.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.  I'm giving her complete creative control lol.

Florists have lots of books to look through.  I told her the date of my wedding and the colors and I wanted.  I didn't want typical "wedding" flowers.  So we looked for rustic looking flowers in reds and oranges and grasses for filler.  After I showed her/told her which flowers were my favorites she put pictures of them next to each other to give me an idea and tell her yes or no. 

There are so many rustic flowers to choose from so GL!
    Anniversary
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I love both hydrangeas and sunflowers and think they look great together.  For the cake you can use viking mums as a way to bring in the look of sunflowers.  Here are a few pics...

Here you can see that they have been incorporated with sunflowers (sunflowers are such a happy flower)

Here they have been made into a corsage but you can use one or two blooms to make a bout as well.

Hope this helps!

• edited December 2011
    Have you thought about using dried hydrangeas for the centerpieces? My sister did this two months ago and it looked AMAZING! She also had a rustic themed wedding!!! It was stunning. You could do fresh for your bouquet and the BMs....
  • jena.n.rossjena.n.ross member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $141 got me 80 sunflowers and 80 red gerbera daisies (samsclub.com), plus a random $10 grocery store bouquet to pull apart for the maroon/brown flowers.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards