DC
Options

Are we discouraging guests from attending???

Very few of our guests are less than an hour's drive from DC. Most are in PA, NJ, New England, and a few from Florida. The venue where I've always wanted to have the ceremony and reception had only a few dates available in 2012-- no Saturdays left-- so we grabbed a Sunday date. Is it a total turn off for our guests if we hold the events from 5pm-10pm?? We have the option to have it earlier, so guests can still make it home that night, but does it seem odd to have a 11am-4pm ceremony and reception? Is it rude to assume our guests will be ok with having to take Monday off from work and/or take their kid out of school?

Re: Are we discouraging guests from attending???

• Options
    I would do the earlier option. A lot of our guests are coming from out of state and we are having a Saturday wedding. I'm assuming some people will have to take Friday off to get here and not feel like they are just turning around and heading back.

I think the earlier option is more appropriate for a Sunday wedding, local or not, buuuut that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    We were planning on a Sunday wedding, and were going to go with an earlier time but give our guests a lot of lead time, so if they want to hang out with us post-reception and make a full day of it, that we can. That said, if you really want a later time, go for it. If people really want to stay until the end, they can probably work out something. 
  • Options
    We did our wedding Sunday night and had many guests from out of town come in.  Instead of taking Friday off to travel, they took Monday off.  One or two guests may not have been able to come because they had to work on Monday, but for the most part, everyone came who would have, regardless of the day/time. 
  • Options
    We did a Sunday wedding at a venue that was 75+ minutes away for pretty much every guest and we had very strong attendance. That said, only 2 couples had school age children and it was Columbus day weekend, so many guests already had Monday off. I think that if guests really want to be there and share the day with you, they will be able to figure out how to make that happen. But you may end up with lower attendance and such, so you need to be okay with that fact.
  • Options
    I'm ok with not as many people, and totally agree that those who really want to be there will be there. Especially if we give them a lot of notice so they can make the necessary arrangements, right? Thanks everyone for the helpful input!
  • Options
    And at the end of the say, you always have the default "I'm the bride, and it's what I want" excuse, lol
  • Options
    It is not rude to host your wedding on a Sunday.  If it is not a 3-day weekend, though, I would go with the 11:00 time.  That will make it a bit easier for those who need to make it back home Sunday night.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards