Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How to choose a bustle

I have my first fitting Wednesday,...
the salon owner where Ipurchased my dress had commented when I did that she preferred french bustle.  Personally I dont like them.

What are my options, are there only 2 available?
And how did you choose what kind of bustle you went with?

My dress is a dropped waist lace ball gown for reference.
Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
 CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!

Re: How to choose a bustle

• Options
    Here are some info on different type of bustles: 

Your seamstress should be able to recommend the type of bustle you'd need with your dress. She can actually pinned it first for you to see if you like it. 

I think I have the ballroom bustle, which I think is very pretty on my gown. I asked the seamstress to leave me a little train so I can still feel that I am wearing a wedding gown :p. But, it is not too long to the point that everyone is going to step on it...hopefully. It has 6 points across the bodice to hold up the train but I have a long train. 

Maybe you can post a pic of your dress so other brides with similar dress can give you better recommendations? 
  • Options
    The link that the PP poster is a great reference point for bustles.

You need to go with a bustle that works well with your dress and really emphasizes the detail.

For my dress it was really designed to have a side bustle but I didn't like the look of it and it made me feel slightly lopsided so I went with a simple two point american bustle.

Talk to your seamstress and figure out what works best for your dress.

• Options
    Just realized that I forgot to paste the other link :p. Here is one website with pictures and the way they do the bustles: 

• Options
    I purchased my dress at David's Bridal so I don't get very many bustle options. It's either over or under. I went with the under only because of my extra curves behind me. It's big enough as it is, I didn't need the bustle making it look even bigger. That's how I came to my decision.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    here is the back of my dress, 2 pictures for reference...i do like the ballgown bustle, and ok on asking her to try different ones, never thought of that lol

• Options
    When I bought my dress, the owner of the shop recommended that I ask my seamstress to pin several bustle options when I come back for my fitting so I can pick what I like best.  Maybe see if your seamstress can do this too?
  • Options
    The bottom portion of your gown is gorgeous.  you definitely need to show that off!  I think a three point overbustle would be best because that way the bottom of your train will be in full view for everyone to see.

A french bustle, like your consultant suggested, would most likely hide or not really show off the intricate detail.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-to-choose-a-bustle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5277cd63-0e3a-46a3-b07b-4f0752bfb8dbPost:9c86ba32-0bb5-4aff-a6b7-f4b7f7f7d233">Re: How to choose a bustle</a>:
    [QUOTE]The bottom portion of your gown is gorgeous.  you definitely need to show that off!  I think a three point overbustle would be best because that way the bottom of your train will be in full view for everyone to see. A french bustle, like your consultant suggested, would most likely hide or not really show off the intricate detail.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>ok im going to look that one up, thank you!</div>
  • Options

When I bought my dress they originally suggested a french bustle (I think it's the most popular one) but when I went for my fitting she showed me the french bustle and I wasn't thrilled because it took away from the beauty of the dress in the back. I asked her if she could show me some other options. We opted for a ballroom bustle because it really helped to show off the detail of the back of my dress the best. Have your seamstress show you different bustle styles with your dress & look at each and that will help you know for sure you went with the right one & you'll feel confident.

• Options
    I have to agree with the 3 point overbustle. Love the bottom of your train and definitely need to be showcase for everyone to see :D

It's also fun to experiement with different type of bustles as long as you have time to do it :). Good luck! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_how-to-choose-a-bustle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:5277cd63-0e3a-46a3-b07b-4f0752bfb8dbPost:05ea75e1-8f98-4f3b-a028-55c1ee944e3e">Re: How to choose a bustle</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here are some info on different type of bustles:  <a href="http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-ideas/bustles-for-your-gown" rel="nofollow">http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-ideas/bustles-for-your-gown</a> Your seamstress should be able to recommend the type of bustle you'd need with your dress. She can actually pinned it first for you to see if you like it.  I think I have the ballroom bustle, which I think is very pretty on my gown. I asked the seamstress to leave me a little train so I can still feel that I am wearing a wedding gown :p. But, it is not too long to the point that everyone is going to step on it...hopefully. It has 6 points across the bodice to hold up the train but I have a long train.  This is my dress:  <a href="http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=V7138" rel="nofollow">http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=V7138</a> Maybe you can post a pic of your dress so other brides with similar dress can give you better recommendations? 
    Posted by bryemar[/QUOTE]

Do you have a picture of your dress bustled?? I have shania by Maggie Sottero, and mine is nearly identical in the skirt. My waist is asymmetrical though with the flowers more towards my tummy. Anyway, I would LOVE to see pics of it bustled if you have any :)
  • Options
    Hi Brittywest05, 

I sent you a private message since I don't want to hijack this post :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards