New Jersey - South

Dj prices

Hi, I'm wondering what the average Dj prices are in South jersey I got a quote and some people are saying it's a good price others think it is not. I got a quote for $925 for 5 hours.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dj prices

• edited December 2011
    IMO, that is way too much. What are they providing for $925? Does it include lighting?

I'm thinking that is way too much. We got a quote for $800 from a well known Philadelphia radio DJ, and I even thought that was high.

We ended up going with a company called Unlimited Entertainment and they charged $500.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was quoted 900 from Center Stage Entertainment for 5 hours. Of all the places I contacted, everyone quoted me 900 except one that quoted 1000 and one that quoted 800, bringing the average right back to 900, lol. So yes, I think that's a fair price.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • maccor16maccor16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They just provide their services as a DJ.  My FI mom keeps saying she'll get me somone for $300 but she did that for her other son's wedding and it was terrible. one of the worst DJS ever! There was no announcements,i turn around and oh look they are cutting the cake I bet most people didn't know that was happening. My Dad said that you get what you pay for. I guess I'll call around and see what else I come up with.  Though talking to this DJ on the phone I felt that he was perfect and really cared  about making sure everything is perfect and smooth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, you get what you pay for. But I have also found that a lot of the 'dj companies' are the ones that charge these amounts. Then, they usually work with a group of DJ's and send one out to you. That is why I was glad we went to the guy who owns the company. Its just him. We actually ended up paying him more b/c he did such a great job. He did all of the announcements, worked with our coordinator on the order of the reception, and kept everyone on the dancefloor.

Keep looking. I'm sure you will be able to find somone in your price range that will provide you the services you are looking for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I was quoted around that for 5 hours. SInce my reception is 6 hours, I'm paying 1100. Ive been to weddings where my DJ was the DJ and he is worth the money! You definitely get what you pay for!
  • edited December 2011
    We paid $2800 for our DJ, it was the most expensive vendor outside of our wedding hall and worth every penny. It included both a DJ and an MC, the cocktail hour and reception (five and a half hours), lighting towers, a plasma television, a photographer who went around during the wedding and took pictures of our guests (and then through the evening put them up on the screen.) We also got an online planning service for the wedding where we could put in exactly what songs we wanted, upload copies of songs they didn't have or add them from iTunes if they were on there, put in what songs we didn't want played and a list of music we needed for each aspect of the wedding. They also did video montages for our first dance, bridal party dance and mother/son dance. About a week after the wedding we got a custom DVD with all of our video montages from the wedding and all the photos they took during the wedding as well. This also took into account they traveled over an hour to our reception hall because we booked a SI vendor but got married at The Merion.

Your DJ will be exactly as one PP said - you get what you pay for. There are absolutely DJs out there you could sign for much less than what we did if you want just a really good DJ, We wanted the whole package so we paid a lot more. I actually cut a lot of things down to afford this particular DJ and I am SO glad we did because they were the best part of the wedding and the planning as well other than our hall. They were helpful and created custom mixes of songs for our entrances, they kept the party going the whole night and listened to exactly everything we told them through the planning. They knew I didn't want to be put in the spotlight for crazy dances, they knew I wanted no line dances or anything too Sweet 16ish, they knew what we wanted for the cocktail hour and during dinner and everything was absolutely perfect. You just need to look at exactly what you're looking for from the DJ. If you're looking for just a few guys showing up with a mic and some music, it's way too much though! Most DJs just use iTunes and a computer to provide the music these days so they need to earn that much in another area of the wedding!
  • maccor16maccor16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ive been thinking a lot about this, I emailed about  5 others. got a quote of $700 for one and am still waiting to hear from the rest.  This guy for $925 has 4 other co workers but he is the owner.  He made me feel so good when I spoke to him on the phone.  I was reffered to him by a girl i went to hs with shes getting married and using him.  Her parents have used him a few times, the first time when he first started out 13 yrs ago. I've read reviews on him and his fellow djs at his company the lowest rating was a 4.8 out of 5..No one had anything bad to say about any of them. I guess I'll wait to see what other quotes i get back and how i feel when I talk to them.  I do know that if i get a cheap DJ i will probably be very dissapointed. wow 2800, that is no where in my budget, but i have seen the common answer the more they cost the better and  more experiance compared to a $300 DJ, the Djs i have seen at the past two weddings were terrible...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards