Not Engaged Yet
Options

HCG Diet

Anyone heard of the HCG Diet? Anyone try it? I have lost about 20lbs and I am fairly happy with my results, but I would love to lose a little more fat and drop about 10 more lbs. I'm thinking about doing this diet, but its expensive. Just searching for some info from the wise women of NEY.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HCG Diet

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of it, actually? What is it?
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend who did this and I don't think it's a good idea.  it's not a good diet if it's not a lifestyle change, only lets you eat 600 cals a day, and doesn't allow you to exercise.  :(  he lost the weight but as soon as he quit taking the shots he gained it back.  he went through the cycle 2 or 3 times and then just gave up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a newer version out that is not a shot that I am considering... I have already made the lifestyle change, I just want to drop those last few before I spend my summer in a swimsuit.

Clicky- />  http://www.hcgdiet.com/  <-Clicky
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    hCG is the "pregnancy hormone" and is commonly thought to be the culprit behind morning sickness.

Why anyone would willingly inject the stuff is beyond me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow it literally means hCG, as in pregnancy hCG. The first thing that makes me think of is that hCG is what is believed to cause morning sickness in women, so wouldn't it cause you to feel ill all of the time? And it also makes me worry about if it could affect the reproductive system somehow.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:63aade73-b029-46de-ac98-91504f0df5e0">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh wow it literally means hCG, as in pregnancy hCG. The first thing that makes me think of is that hCG is what is believed to cause morning sickness in women, so wouldn't it cause you to feel ill all of the time? And it also makes me worry about if it could affect the reproductive system somehow.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahhhh... No, now I look nuts! lol

The one I am looking into is not the pregnancy hormone. It has been created to simulate the effecst of the orginal HCG hormones people used to inject, without the nasty side effects. It also is oral drops now not injection.

I do not like needles and hates throwing up! I would not do a diet if thats what it entails.

• Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Any "diet" that encourages you to eat only 500 calories a day is INSANE.  You are literally starving yourself and the long-term consequences are terrible.  Sure, you'll lose your 10 lbs, but as soon as you begin to eat normally again, you will likely gain back the weight plus some.

Is an additional loss of 10 pounds realistic for you?  From your picture, you look very slim. 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:f764e04a-bf1c-4e19-bcd6-4157f5c99cd6">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ahhhh... No, now I look nuts! lol The one I am looking into is not the pregnancy hormone. It has been created to simulate the effecst of the orginal HCG hormones people used to inject, without the nasty side effects. It also is oral drops now not injection. I do not like needles and hates throwing up! I would not do a diet if thats what it entails.
    Posted by CCO2012[/QUOTE]

Haha, you don't look nuts.  Diets that promise miraculous results attract all of us, and there is no shame in that.

If it's designed to mimic the original hCG, though, why would it be any different?
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Crazy
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Audgie, you are so blunt... I love it!

SKP, thank you! I do look slim in my sig photo. I am much smaller than I was in January, but I am still struggling to get under 150 and stay there. I am 5'6" and 153 most days... Technically I'm in the healthy range, but I am on the high end of healthy. I would say I could easily lose 10 more lbs and still look and feel healthy.

I've just heard that it works, but I just need to get my ass in the gym more i suppose! I just struggle with the working out thing, because I have terrible knees and it hurts so bad afterwards. Icing my knees after every workout tends to make me hate it. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:f764e04a-bf1c-4e19-bcd6-4157f5c99cd6">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ahhhh... No, now I look nuts! lol The one I am looking into is not the pregnancy hormone. It has been created to simulate the effecst of the orginal HCG hormones people used to inject, without the nasty side effects. It also is oral drops now not injection. I do not like needles and hates throwing up! I would not do a diet if thats what it entails.

No you don't look crazy! We're just trying to help inform you of things you may not realize or have considered so you don't end up harming yourself.

What I gather from that website is that it is synthetic hCG, which is the same thing as the real hCG except for the fact that scientists made it and it did not naturally come from your body.

I still don't really understand how it wouldn't make you feel sick, because increased levels of hCG in a pregnant woman's body is what causes morning sickness.

As skp said, 500 calories is extremely restrictive and not healthy!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:fec26b49-0e75-4f91-8702-d19c121be6a7">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Audgie, you are so blunt... I love it! SKP, thank you! I do look slim in my sig photo. I am much smaller than I was in January, but I am still struggling to get under 150 and stay there. I am 5'6" and 153 most days... Technically I'm in the healthy range, but I am on the high end of healthy. I would say I could easily lose 10 more lbs and still look and feel healthy. <strong>I've just heard that it works, but I just need to get my ass in the gym more i suppose! I just struggle with the working out thing, because I have terrible knees and it hurts so bad afterwards. Icing my knees after every workout tends to make me hate it. lol</strong>

I have bad knees, too.  Blame it on 14 years of competitive soccer.

Have you tried swimming?  It's a fantastic workout, makes your skin look amazing, and is so kind to your joints.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Elle, My parents have a pool and don't live too far from me. I should start going over there when I am off work and swimming rather than laying out lol

ETA I used to be a lifeguard and swam daily, I don't know why I haven't thought about getting back into that.
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:fec26b49-0e75-4f91-8702-d19c121be6a7">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Audgie, you are so blunt... I love it! SKP, thank you! I do look slim in my sig photo. I am much smaller than I was in January, but I am still struggling to get under 150 and stay there. I am 5'6" and 153 most days... Technically I'm in the healthy range, but I am on the high end of healthy. <strong>I would say I could easily lose 10 more lbs and still look and feel healthy.</strong> I've just heard that it works, but I just need to get my ass in the gym more i suppose! I just struggle with the working out thing, because I have terrible knees and it hurts so bad afterwards. Icing my knees after every workout tends to make me hate it. lol

I think that if you've been eating healthily (which you've said you have), then you might be at the right weight for YOUR BODY.  Every one is different, so I wouldn't necessarily go by the weight range for your height.

I wouldn't mess with your eating if you're making healthy choices.  I think you're right about adding the exercise component.  If you want to look great in your swimsuit, that will help much more (toning).  Focus on how you how you feel and not the number on the scale. 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:ef21aeaf-f0fb-438a-b6c7-76a772b5fbad">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elle, My parents have a pool and don't live too far from me. I should start going over there when I am off work and swimming rather than laying out lol ETA I used to be a lifeguard and swam daily, I don't know why I haven't thought about getting back into that.

Just try to avoid the temptation to eat everything in sight right after a swim.  I promise, if you force yourself to wait an hour, the cravings go away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not saying to do this, BUUUTTT if you do, and don't tell BF that you're doing this diet, you could totally freak him out by POS and showing him the positive pregnancy test.

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:b77c1140-3e84-4d8f-9cd8-413a7a6518b2">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not saying to do this, BUUUTTT if you do, and don't tell BF that you're doing this diet, you could totally freak him out by POS and showing him the positive pregnancy test.
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]

That's epic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:b77c1140-3e84-4d8f-9cd8-413a7a6518b2">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not saying to do this, BUUUTTT if you do, and don't tell BF that you're doing this diet, you could totally freak him out by POS and showing him the positive pregnancy test.

I littereally just laughed so hard out loud! Co-wrokers think I am nuts! He would freak out! I tease him all the time about having a baby, but I am on NUvaring so no babies for us soon.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    I read an article in Cosmo once about a woman who faked a pregnancy scare (by skipping her off-week on her BCP) in order to get a proposal from her BF.

The worst part is that it worked.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:ba4ceca2-8bc4-4a5f-bf2a-e4ea08e17d89">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read an article in Cosmo once about a woman who faked a pregnancy scare (by skipping her off-week on her BCP) in order to get a proposal from her BF. The worst part is that it worked.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]
    Hm.. I wonder if any BSC lurkers are going to try this now after reading it.

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:d6015e6b-8dfe-43bb-b47d-7a1a79e40289">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HCG Diet : Hm.. I wonder if any BSC lurkers are going to try this now after reading it.

Should I DD?

Nah.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay so I feel really dumb and like I should know this, but why would skipping your BCP give a false positive?

And Audgie..that is awesome.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:716db087-813e-4796-b58c-5d8f48b399fb">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay so I feel really dumb and like I should know this, but why would skipping your BCP give a false positive? And Audgie..that is awesome.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that she just didn't have a period (which would make her BF think she was pregnant), not that she got a false positive.
    IMG_6364
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hcg-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5f3d39ef-45d3-4fec-8cf9-8c24f7554202Post:202500e8-39df-4eed-a485-606f4f1d1065">Re: HCG Diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HCG Diet : I'm guessing that she just didn't have a period (which would make her BF think she was pregnant), not that she got a false positive.
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this.  It wouldn't give you a positive test, but she told her guy that she wasn't having her period and she was due for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh okay, I totally read it wrong. I was beyond confused for a minute there.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    mikachugraymikachugray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BY THE WAY...

This diet is literally starving your body. 500 calorie a day dieting doesnt even come close to enough calories to keep your brain functioning properly. My boss and a co worker and her girlfriend are doing this and they are so far losing weight but honestly, in not to long from now they will start to daydream at work and kinda not seem all there. Its not a side effect really of the chemicals its because your brain is no longer being fed the nutrients it needs. If you just sit around all day already then fine, it wouldnt change you to starve yourself but i would never recomend this to any one ever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards