North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham
Options

XP: Church Won't Allow Photography?

Is this normal?  I just spoke with my family church (Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church, it's on Falls of Neuse) about booking our wedding.  They informed me that because it is a religious ceremony they will not allow any photography during the ceremony at all.  None.  Also, a video may only be taken from a second story Audio/Visual room through a glass window.  I think this is absolutely rediculous (although I obviously didn't tell them that!).  I'm Presbyterian, which is not a terribly concervative religion so I was very shocked.  I'm seriously considering trying to find another church.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Is it hard to find a church to marry in if you are not a member or of that faith?  I'm kind of stressing now.

I've looked at a few other churches in the area and all that I've found except First Presbyterian in downtown requires you to be a member.  Of course, First Presbyterian doesn't list there photography policy and the lady isn't answering my e-mail.  Advice or where I should look next/do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
image 148 Are ready to party!
image 77 Will be missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!

Re: XP: Church Won't Allow Photography?

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of this taking place many times. As you stated, the main reason why is because it's a religious ceremony, not a photo opt (in their opinion).

You've got plenty of time to find a new church if you're really wanting those photos / video. If you can't get a response via email, go to the church in person and talk to the individual that would be helping you with your wedding day. Express your concerns and see if theres some way to work around it.

If there isnt, possibly look for a new location. I believe there are some churches that will allow you to get married there without being a member of their church, however I'm not sure which ones those may be. It'll just take some googling and asking around :)

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our church had this policy too.  And our photographer said she'd run into it many times.  We were able to work with the church to allow processional/recessional photos as long as our photog stayed behind the last row of pews, we used the "that's not part of the religious ceremony" argument.  I'm on very good terms with the church, so they might have just agreed because they like me.  The photographer had to stay in the narthex (basically the lobby) or in the balcony for the rest though.  She did manage to sneak up to the balcony and get a few ceremony shots for us, although I didn't expect her to. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A lot of churches won't allow guests of the wedding to take pictures during the ceremony , their reason being that the ceremony is the most important part of the wedding and that guests should be paying attention to what's happening instead of focusing on getting a good shot (which I agree with 100%). Some churches will work with you if you assure them that only your professional photographer will be taking pictures during the pre- and recessionals (not during the actual ceremony itself). Just make sure you notify your guests in some form or fashion that they are not allowed to use their cameras during the ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey there! I am a professional photog and I do see it but it is not horribly common. I shoot about 50 weddings a year and at most 2 times a year I run into this. Even if the bride has told me the rules ahead of time(I always ask), I will still introduce myself to the coordinator and to the minister an hour or 2 before the ceremony and sometimes I have had them change their minds and let me take pics but no flash and no moving around. What is typical is flash during the processional and recessional but no flash during the ceremony and shooting from the back with little movement.

Ask if they can shoot from the balcony with the videographer. It is better than nothing. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-raleighdurham_xp-church-wont-allow-photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:606Discussion:d3222bc1-b0b5-4fa1-9159-5b8c1430581aPost:ed0db420-1d63-49dc-be55-287218744d05">Re: XP: Church Won't Allow Photography?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of churches won't allow guests of the wedding to take pictures during the ceremony , <strong>their reason being that the ceremony is the most important part of the wedding</strong> and that guests should be paying attention to what's happening instead of focusing on getting a good shot (which I agree with 100%). Some churches will work with you if you assure them that only your professional photographer will be taking pictures during the pre- and recessionals (not during the actual ceremony itself). Just make sure you notify your guests in some form or fashion that they are not allowed to use their cameras during the ceremony.
    Posted by lfpack[/QUOTE]

Or maybe their reason is that the ceremony is the ONLY part of the day that is the wedding, not just the "most important part" and that it's a religious service and should be treated with reverence. 
  • Options
    CashWedding12CashWedding12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Catholic and my church is super strict, but they are even alloweding prof photos from the balcony. You probably have enough time to try out and become members of another Presbyterian church right? That's probably what I would have done. I can't NOT have pictures of my wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Edenton Street UMC downtown and they have this rule as do a lot of other churches I know. I know there can't be any photos during the actual ceremony, but you can get some walking down the aisle and maybe even your first kiss (I'm hoping). I'm also hoping that the minister marrying us might just be a little lenient on it. We'll see...  Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    onlyncsuonlyncsu member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Edenton Street won't allow any flash photography during the ceremony. They will allow non-flash from the balcony only. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards