Florida-West Coast

Knotty issue! EVIL Step-MIL Ruining Plans--Advice?

Hi Knotties-- I don't post a lot ( tho I do lurk, lol), and when I do it's generally long... unfortunately, this is no exception. Surprised

We were out for FI's birthday dinner Fri w/his dad and stepmother when she takes him outside just before hostess was going to bring out these awesome cupcakes I'd brought (from a potential wedding cake vendor--I'd wanted their opinions).

Anyway, nearly 1/2-hr later, they come back, she says 'we're leaving', really angry.

FI takes me into another room, tells me she just yelled at him all that time about how he hasn't visited his dad (he just worked 27 days straight, 4 a.m.-5 p.m.) and goes off on him for asking them for money (his father volunteered) for the honeymoon and how THEY didn't take one--THEY went right back to work after the weekend. In addition, she's angry about something that she perceived went wrong at Christmastime that she never vocalised THEN--and has built up anger about it all this time.

Needless to say after going back to the table & his father was in the restroom, she started up INSIDE the restaurant so I jumped in--sticking up for him, and she let loose on me, saying all sorts of mean and horrible (and untrue) things about me.

I walked out in tears doing everything in my power not to throw the rest of my dinner in her face. On my way out I saw his dad. Obviously he was concerned (he's very sweet), but I told him I never want to see that woman again--ever.

I mean it. I don't. I certainly don't want her at the wedding and neither does FI.

This poses immense problems all around (not to mention ruining FIs bday dinner!)

1. FI (& my future) family is (irrevocably, according to FI) broken. (FI said she never apologizes.) He said he/we will have to do things with his dad solo.

2. We don't have honeymoon $$, which means no honeymoon.

3. My father will be furious when he finds out, because he originally wanted us to do a destination wedding (so we'd have a chance to get away) but relented with a scaled-back ceremony/dinner party provided FI's family paid for the honeymoon.

4. With only 6-1/2 mos left we don't have TIME to re-plan, plus we have deposits on the venue and photog.

Not only that, if we got married abroad with just my parents and his mother then came back in time for what would've been our date at the original venue--we still can't afford to do both.

I'm feeling pretty despondent right now--so is FI. We've been miserable all weekend and don't know which way to go or what to do.

Any ideas or advice?

Re: Knotty issue! EVIL Step-MIL Ruining Plans--Advice?

• edited December 2011
    um wait, so she did this to FI on HIS birthday?  take this as a blessing...you dont want to  take a dime from them, she'll just hold it over your heads forever!
  • HappyMrsKHappyMrsK member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, taking any money from them would be a bad idea. I would just explain that she is not welcome at the wedding. I think given what happened at your FI's b-day dinner his Dad would understand that.

We are doing our honeymoon later,mainly because I got laid off from my job a couple of months before the wedding and my DH and I were paying for everything ourselves. So we are planning to go on our honeymoon later in the fall. So that's an option. You could always spend a night or two in a nice hotel right after the wedding and do a bigger trip later on.

GL
  • abilodeauabilodeau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything so far. My FI and I are paying for everytihng on our own and all of our vendors have been awesome with letting us make payments and being very reasonable with pricing. We are going on our honeymoon about a month after the wedding, that way we will be able to work for a few weeks to save up for spending money on our trip.

Good luck with everything, I do not blame you or FI for not wanting her there on YOUR big day. You don't want her to add stress to your day!
  • edited December 2011

I would say tread lightly with this one.  If she is married to your FI's father she is going to be a part of your life.  I am sure with a little distance from the situation it might look a little better.  I understand not wanting to deal with her and I certainly wouldn't take the money since I agree it might come back to haunt you.  However if this is your FFIL's wife I think it might cause a bigger drama to not invite her.  Is there a way that you can all sit down at discuss the situation amicably?  If not, I would just avoid having anything further to do with her outside the date of the wedding.

Good luck!  It is still fresh so things might get better.  I wouldn't be despondent because the day will still be about your and your FI starting your life together!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cmeyer3946cmeyer3946 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with TTnoles.  Unfortunately this is your FFIL's wife and she'll be part of your life whether she's a b***h or not.  It sounds like she's got a deeper issue than she's letting on and just unleashed it one night.   I suggest taking the high road on this one and give her one more chance to redeem herself.  Go out to dinner on neutral territory.   Tell her how you feel and give her and your FFIL a chance to let you both know how they feel.  I would do it for your FI and for your FFIL because they both sound like reasonable men.  You don't want to start your life out together with tension and resentment in the air on your wedding day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, you gals are awesome! Great advice. Smile

After a couple days mulling things over, I'm less angry and really just baffled & feel sorry for her. She definitely has the problems.

I realize we'll be 'family' forever so I don't wanna do anything that'll ruin the relationship between FI & his father b/c they're close. FFIL's wife, on the other hand, has issues she'll need to address with a professional, lol!

Unfortunately, I'll prolly HAVE TO invite her, tho for now I'm hoping not to have to interact at all... FI says she'll never apologize or 'give in'--what a piece of work!

Anyway, my family stepped in (again) and my mother is helping a bit w/the HM, so now I'm re-looking for somewhere much cheaper & 4 a shorter time (the great pkg quote we had--$1900--for Catalonia Royal in PuntaCana for 10 days incl air, taxes & transfers, expired Frown ).

And ur all correct in that HM doesn't have 2 be exactly 'right afterwards'. Guess I'm also falling into this picture of what I believe the 'perfect wedding' thing should look like/be like now that ball's rolling, lol! Wink
  • edited December 2011
    we're not sure if we can do a honeymoon right away too...aside from the money issues, its just too hard to get that much time off from work.  a lot of people i know who have gotten married recently had to delay theirs too...its way more common than i thought!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards