Christian Weddings
Options

outdoor ceremony

Does anyone know if methodists can get married by the reverand outside the church?  I wouldn't say I am very religious but I do think I might regret not having a church wedding because I use to be very involved in the church. I've already booked the ceremony and reception site though and it is outdoors. Anyway, I read somewhere that most catholics can't find anyone to marry them if they are not getting married at the church....so I was wondering if you know if this is the same for methodists. If not, why? Does it really make a difference if you are in the actual building? I just don't see why it would matter.

Re: outdoor ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I grew up in the Methodist church and am getting married at a Methodist church camp.  They do outdoor ceremonies at their chapel on top of the mountain all the time, so I'm thinking it's okay.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's only Catholics who have to get married inside a Catholic church for the priest to marry them. We're non-denominational Christians and we got married outside on the water at our venue, and one of the elders from our church back home officiated.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_outdoor-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:cb1b9570-2cdb-4ad4-afb5-95a9e1c5c23fPost:507148d3-2a5e-44a0-aa73-5365c80cb73c">Re: outdoor ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty sure it's only Catholics who have to get married inside a Catholic church for the priest to marry them. We're non-denominational Christians and we got married outside on the water at our venue, and one of the elders from our church back home officiated.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing">Actually Orthodox have to get married in the church too.</p> <p class="MsoNoSpacing">OP. I am not sure about Methodists.<span>  </span>But most denominations allow outdoor weddings.<span>  </span>You could always call your pastor and ask him?</p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm fairly certain it's fine, but just in case, I agree with PP- try asking the pastor.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know for sure, but just about every Methodist wedding I've been to has been in the church. Ask your reverend.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards