Texas-Austin

Happy Monday!! Today's Random Question

I am going to ask random, general questions from time to time. They can be wedding related or not, but just a fun way to vent, or kudo each other. Today's question is:

What is the hardest wedding task or dilemma that you have faced since starting to plan the "big day" or just since you have been engaged?

Re: Happy Monday!! Today's Random Question

• edited December 2011
    Mine would have to be the Catering. It took me literally about 11 months and numerous emails to finally decide on one. But now I have one I love and am so excited to eat the food at my wedding.

On a different note, I am so happy we have a moderator!! I have been missing from the boards lately because I broke my laptop, I dropped it screen down on our hard wood floors in our apartment. But now that i'm back I can already tell a difference in the post since you were announced. Thanks!

Happy Monday Everyone!!
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the hardest hing for me is decor. I am not a creative person at all, and I don't have any specific visions of what things are supposed to look like. I am relying heavlily on my more creative friends to tell me if things match.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • mistyleonmistyleon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely tackling the guest list.  FI and his family have a totally different concept of who/how many people "need" to be invited to both the wedding and the rehearsal dinner than I do (my family didn't have any expectations at all).  As every bride knows, this makes a huge difference in terms of costs AND available venues.  We are paying for everything ourselves, so it took me awhile to get used to the wedding being a much bigger to do than what I would have required or thought was necessary.  Thankfully, I am on board and excited about it now, but there was a lot of stress and drama over this issue in the early stages of planning.

I can also tell a big difference in the posts now that we have a moderator.  I don't think it is my imagination that there have actually been more posts and activity over the past few days?  And all of it seems to be from real brides!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Definately choosing the reception venue. We were pretty sure we wanted a place that included catering..so it's a major chunk of our budget. I looked at SOO many places and was stressed about commiting to spending that much without absolutely loving it. Once I booked it, I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders, and haven't cried about anything wedding related since! lol
  • edited December 2011
    The hardest thing for me was deciding on an officiant that the family would approve of.  My whole family is Catholic and expected me to get married in a church.  Well I'm getting married outside and catholic priests won't do that. 

However I recently found a group called the White Robed Monks.  Apparently they are approved in the eyes of the church, but most importantly my Godmother approves : ) 
  • edited December 2011
    i say the guest list too! I don't want to hurt any feelings!
  • sheadaysheaday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Picking a dress! I bought one, decided I hated it, exchanged it for another at the same price (so no money lost). Then I had nightmares about THAT dress and went out bought the dress of my dreams! So now I have 2 dresses, oh well that's what Craigslist is for!
  • edited December 2011
    For me its 100% the cake. Im having such a hard time taking all the different things I want and finding a way to tie them all into a cake and make it beautiful. Never knew that a cake could cause so much trouble. LOL
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • hs770513hs770513 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Amarillo.. about 8 hours from Austin.  My fiance and his family are from Austin, but we currently live in Amarillo.  The hardest part for me is something that will continue to be difficult... planning a wedding when I am 8 hours away from the location!  Venue for ceremony and reception is set but I still have so much to do that needs to be done in person!
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The hardest things are going to be the kind of ceremony and the officiant. Also the guest list is proving to be a challenge.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    The hardest thing for me so far is trying to find a venue! =)
    *Mrs.A*
  • edited December 2011
    I love this! You all bring something unique to the table, and I am really enjoying reading the responses that you have wrote.

I am going to reply to each of you, because I think it is important to make everyone feel welcome here!

Jedaniel-- I haven't booked a catering company yet. We have a tasting this weekend in Austin, so I am pretty excited about it. What did you do when you didn't like the tasting?? What made you choose that one? Thanks for the compliments about my moderating. I am trying to make this board a fun one.

Sarah- I can totally see how that would be a challenge for you. I consider myself creative, but sometimes having the idea and actually making it into something is quite hard for anyone. It is good that you have friends to count on!! We are here for you too!

Misty-- I can completely understand about the guest list. It seems like someone is always trying to get added by a family member, or you forget someone by accident. Have you done table seating yet? And you are right!! Seems like more people are participating. That is exciting!!

Twink--- what made the venue perfect, besides the catering?? When did you know it was right? Hopefully you won't have to cry again till the wedding day. AWWW!!

Mata-- Wow.. that is tough. I am not catholic, but the offciant was difficult for me as well. Simply because the church requires pre-marriage training, and my FI and I live in 2 different cities, and he works Police hours!! Yikes! Glad you found something to make everyone happy. Any other challenges to conquer?

Michelle-- what a doll! That is so sweet to be concerned with your guests feelings. Good to know you are not a BRIDEZILLA! lol

Sheaday-- 2 dresses!! Why not use one for the ceremony and one for the reception??? LOL Just teasing. I have 2 dresses two, because I ended an engagement years ago, and my mom made me get a dress. It was too plain for me now.. and I did not have any luck trying to sell it, but you never know. Have you posted it yet?

Mybestfriend-- Oh the cake!! I am not a huge sweet person, so we tried to find the least overbearing sugary cake that we could and went with it. Our design is one they already made, so that makes me feel better. What are you hoping to find?

hs77-- Many of us here are LDB-- long distance brides. Although I am not nearly as far as you, I have that same issue. Make good friends off the knot boards in here, and I am sure you are bound to have a fellow bride offer to help out anytime you need. :) Welcome to the board BTW! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Erollis and Vslvscbm-- are you using the knot's free tools to help with the guest list? I am sure you will find that venue soon!! Don't lose faith. For some of us.. it takes soo many trips, and I was nearly in tears before I found ours. It is normal to feel frustrated, just keep in mind.. everything will work out in the end.

Also make sure you guys post your bio in the first sticky on the board, so we can know more about you guys. I want to know all about your weddings!! :)
  • erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    As soon as I get a bio up and running I will most definitely put it up.
  • cryalex24cryalex24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My would be the music!!! still working on it but taking my time ...Yes i have a DJ but just picking the important songs are hard!!

• edited December 2011
    Erollis-- not the knottie bio--- go to the very top of the forum and you will see an Intro area-- just copy the format of the other brides in here, and introduce yourself, so we can get to know a little about you. :) Thanks love!

Cryalex-- what music do you like or want to be played? What are you banning? We are banning all cheesey songs!! hahaha and breakup songs!!
  • edited December 2011
    Everything has been difficult to me because I am so indecisive. It took me forever to find a venue and pick the colors. Now I'm getting into the nitty gritty details on decor and I'm not a DIY bride so I'm relying on a lot of help from BMs and coordinator.
  • erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    Oh! Lol! I am such a ditz sometimes.
  • edited December 2011
    Late to this, but the hardest thing has been the budget, by far. We are paying for the wedding entirely ourselves, so any other issues/conflicts/stress just don't even get up there in comparison. : )  We were doing a good job paying as we went until now when balances are starting to come due all in a rush.  However, the one benefit is that we do get to call all the shots and make most of the decisions ourselves, without having to please anyone! (beyond the reasonable amount of sensitivity to parents and friends, of course!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    for some reason, for me it was selecting my colors!!! I would have thought that would be an easy thing but i was attempting to pick colors that looked good with the season instead of colors i loved and knew how to coordinate, etc. I changed my colors a ton, until it dawned on me that i should  use my favorite colors. Silly Me! I decided on a slightly darker shade of sage, and light creme with bright and slightly autum colored flowers
  • cryalex24cryalex24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the Ceremony music ..i dont want to use the wedding march so im hunting for something else..
  • erolliserollis member
    edited December 2011
    I am anti wedding march for my wedding too. I keep joking that I will use the Star Wars theme. I think I will have to listen to the Fantasia sound tracks to see if one of those songs strike a cord. I <3 Disney's Fantasia.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine has been and still is finding a dress that I love that is in my price range. Also planning a wedding on a budget, it's so much research to find the very best price for everything!
  • edited December 2011
    There's a few things that are really frustrating- 
    #1- The guest list. FI and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, so we had to make significant cuts relating to the guest list. We constantly were attacked by relatives that we weren't close to or never met because we didn't invite them. It was so incredibly frustrating.

#2- My photographer. She NEVER responds to emails. We're 18 days away from the wedding and I'm starting to get really nervous. I'll let y'all know how it all works out in a few weeks.

#3- DIY projects. I completely suck at them 
    planning bio
    "My favorite color is fluorescent beige."
  • edited December 2011
    Richelle -- what size and style are you looking for? I have an extra dress that you can have for free if you like it. I never wore it, and it cost about $600 dollars when I bought it. Still has tags on it. It is a size 12, but I was like a 9 when I got it.
  • edited December 2011

Babyblue...I felt like my venue was perfect, because it matches the look I'm going for (vintage elegance), and I won't have to do too much as far as decor since it's already pretty. I also felt confident with the staff there.

• akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have two.

1. While I absolutely adore FI's family most of the time, I have learned that when it comes to the schedules of other people, they don't care whatsoever. In fact, they don't care to the point where they were actually peeved that we didn't do our wedding on a MONDAY.

2. I'm really bad about coming up with a "vision" for things. I'd just as soon leave it to the professionals to come up with a design, and so far everyone has done a great job and it's worked out well.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • edited December 2011
    BBNT - YGPM
  • edited December 2011
    BabyBlue- When I didn't like a tasting, I would just shoot them an email saying thank you for all you've done but we have decided to go in a different direction. Their response was always "Thank you and if there is anything we can do for you in the future feel free to contact us" or something like that. I think what made me finally choose my caterer is when we had the tasting and she was so open to doing anything I wanted and her price was great for how much food we were getting.
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    For me, honestly it's been the whole "wedding thing". I guess growing up I wasn't the typical girl who dreamt about the big day all of her life, so now that it is actually happening, everything has been difficult. To add on top of it, I am generally indecisive, the groom who initially told me he didn't care about anything other than his not wearing shiny shoes has turned into groomzilla, and what started out as a small affair has grown crazily (don't get me wrong, I do love that the groom has an opinion, but we had to visit 14 venues before we finally agreed on one). Anyway, it ebbs and flows and I just take it day by day. Now that we are actually getting some of the vendors booked, it isn't so painful anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards