Illinois-Chicago

Liberal priest?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any liberal priests in the Chicago area that would be willing to perform an outdoor wedding? I realize that technically Catholic weddings are supposed to take place indoors in a church, but I've heard that some priests do not strictly adhere to these rules.

Re: Liberal priest?

• edited December 2011
    Hi:

I have not found a priest willing to go outside of the church, but did hear one suggestion before. One option is to have  small private ceremony at the church (either on the same day or a different day. This could be just the two of you plus your parents as witnesses. Then, the priest may be willing to go outside of the church to perform a 'committment ceremony' at the location for your entire guest list. The sacrament of marriage would take place within the church walls.

Might we worth looking into...
  • edited December 2011
    I am actually using a married Catholic Priest.  We both really like him.  Our wedding will not be at a church, and it will not be viewed as a sacrament by the Catholic church.  His name is Fr. Greg Zimmerman and here is his website for more info:

http://www.frgregz.com/index.htm
  • morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a few pp's have said, I think that in order to have the marriage honored by the Catholic Church, it must be preformed in a church.  You may be able to find a priest to preform the ceremony, that will be legal by the state's standards, but the church won't view it as a marriage. 
  • jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto a Married Catholic Priest! We are using Rev. Ron Crowley-Koch (http://www.marriedcatholicpriests.net/index.html) for our wedding ceremony at the Patrick Haley Mansion. He was a priest for many years, but fell in love with a nun in his parish. They married soon after and had to leave the church as a result; they now have two adult children and have been happily married for 30+ years. He can legally perform the ceremony and also brings a very Catholic ceremony feel to it - he wears the robes, follows the same ceremony structure, and can even give communion.

Catholic priests are not allowed to perform marriage ceremonies outside the church unless they have permission of the diocese, which is virtually impossible to obtain (it takes months and months and typically you have to have a very long and deep history with the priest). It is not a matter of preference for the priest or convincing him, he's just not allowed to.  

• edited December 2011
    No matter who you find it won't be viewed as a Catholic marriage because it's outside, but at some point after the ceremony you can arrange to have a  convalidation. This is usually a group ceremony after mass that allows your marriage to be recognized by the church. Good luck!
  • MsBunny312MsBunny312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards