Catholic Weddings
Options

Happy Friday!

What's everyone up to this weekend? 

I'm going to try to finish up some Christmas shopping tonight, and then tomorrow I'm going to a Christmas festival thing with H and some friends.  I'm SUPER excited for it!  Sunday we have no plans, so we'll see what we end up doing.  Maybe finsih up for Christmas shopping or gift wrapping.  I've already gotten a lot of shopping done, but I've also got a lot left.  The joys of having a big family!

Re: Happy Friday!

• Options
    H is off for two weeks after today, and I'm sooo excited! He really needs a break, and it will be sooo nice to have him around and relaxed! This weekend, we'll decorate for Christmas (some may call it late; some may call it early; I call it right for us). I hope we also finish up our shopping and start wrapping. We have a date night planned for Monday (Grandma and Grandpa are babysitting) to look forward to. Ooh, and we have homemade-by-someone-else green corn tamales for dinner. Yum! And lastly, it is supposed to be cold (for us) and rainy all weekend, so, of course the Desert Rat here is stoked!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure what my weekend holds yet. Most definitely hoping to get the Christmas cards finished.  Shooting to mail them middle of the week next week.

Dad got one of those POD things to move all of his stuff and he's loading it tomorrow.  He asked for our help.  Idk what help I'm going to be since I can't lift anything, but whatever.  Plus little bro has a wrestling tournament so I'll be in town anyway.  We're anticipating a winter storm tomorrow, so if it's bad, I'm not risking the drive.  I can see Dad getting upset about that, but I'm not risking my and my child's life just to drive on crappy roads to help him clean/pack.
  • Options
    I have done no christmas shopping...and I live within 5 minutes of almost any mall/department store you can think of. Is that bad? It's all wedding crunch time for me!

And because I'm completely insane, I'm playing in a christmas show that runs this weekend. Last night, tonight, two performances each tomorrow and Sunday. So it's not like I'm getting anything wedding or Christmas related done this weekend either... I work way better under pressure and will bang everything out next week (hopefully)...
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm about done with Christmas shopping which is very unusual for me. My husband has amazon prime so I have been doing a lot of online shopping and enjoying the free shipping and free movie credits this year if you forego the 2 day shipping for regular shipping. We watched Brave the other night with our free movie credits. I enjoyed it but there are still so many other pixar movies I love more.

I am also trying to get Christmas cards out today. I ended up printing a picture of us from the wedding to stick in them. I got frustrated with H though because he doesn't care at all about doing Christmas cards and didn't want to tell me who from his side of the family should get one. So I gave up on that and am only sending them to our friends and a few of my relatives.

I have one more week of work to get through before vacation time, but we have a lot of events and holiday parties next week. The advantage of my boss being affiliated with multiple departments is we get invited to everything! I am also so looking forward to vacation. We are driving to my parent's house for Christmas then leaving on the 26th for the US Virgin Islands for our belated honeymoon. I can't wait!
  • Options
    I have about 25 people to buy gifts for, so I have to start my shopping early, otherwise the budget shock is just too much lol.  If I only had 10 or fewer, I'd wait to the last minute, knowing my personality!  Honestly, you get better deals later in the season, so you may as well wait.

• Options
    This weekend is very exciting for me! I'm graduating from college tomorrow! I had started college right out of H.S., left for reasons I'd rather not get into, and started back almost 4 years ago in an accelerated night program. (This while working full time, being a single mother, teaching Sunday school, and being otherwise involved in our church). I cannot wait for tomorrow, it's been a long time coming!
    Sunday will be the annual tree decorating of the Christmas Tree at my parents house. I love that day every year so much.
    Other than that, we still have some minor shopping to do, cleaning, baking some cookies, and hopefully relaxing for a while!
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    Tonight is an open house Christmas party at one of my BM's houses.  Tomorrow will hopefully be spent watching Christmas movies (the really cheesy ABC Family ones) while wrapping gifts until we go to another Christmas party.  Sunday will be Mass, watching the Redskins game (while possibly wrapping more gifts), and probably going to my parents' house to help decorate their tree (ours has been up at my place for more than two weeks).

A packed weekend as always.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:1f7782fb-fa1a-4485-8c1e-8d4dd5e1b57aPost:2f4568d9-b5fd-47a2-b2c4-8253110bff94">Re: Happy Friday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy Friday! : CONGRATS!!!
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! Great job, Mandi! What is your degree in (or did I miss it?)?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats, Mandi!!! 

Stantokm -- I love cheesy Christmas movies!  I especially love the Lifetime and ABS Fam ones.  They usually have a bunch on On Demand, which typically I'd be watching every day this time of year.  Now that I'm married and living with H, he prefers that we watch anything else lol.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I haven't done ANY shopping either.  Well, except we bought "Mama Bear" and "Papa Bear" t-shirts from the Baylor bookstore for my mom and dad.  My mom told me yesterday that she has just not been able to get into the Christmas spirit this year, which made me really sad.  Although she said she doesn't want to do presents, just get together with family and love on everyone, and I said, "Well, that IS the Christmas spirit..."  

We were supposed to go down to Texas this weekend to have and early Christmas with BIL and SIL, because they will be out of town when my ILs have their "big" Christmas, but H has to work, so I'm going to try to get the house cleaned up and get some Christmas gifts (hopefully a gift for him, but I'm going to have to put it on his checking account because I have no money until next week).  Tonight is our basketball homecoming at the school, so I'll probably go to that.  And one of my coworkers is apparently in a band and invited me to her show tonight.  It's at a bar and there are no smoking regulations in Oklahoma, so I might not be able to stay for long, though.  =(

Also, YAY FOR BRIDAL PORTRAITS!  Share pics when they are done!
    Anniversary

• Options
    Professor, how have you been feeling lately?  Does just your family know about the pregnancy, or is it pretty public at this point?

• Options
    Thanks, everyone! I've copmleted my bachelors in Business Administration. It's been a long road, to say the least, but I'm thrilled!
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Resa, family all knows.  We told ILs last weekend, and MIL pretty much told everyone she knows (I love her, but you would have thought it was her baby).  We're still keeping it off Facebook until January, but we told some of our closest friends -- WP mostly.  I had to tell my MOH pretty early because her wedding is two months after the baby is due, so I needed to make sure it'd be okay to bring it along.  ;)

Also, I had to tell one of my classes today because I got REALLY sick right at the beginning of class, and I doubt that's going to stay a secret long.

ETA: And to answer your first question, I'm generally feeling okay.  Usually I get sick once in the morning and then I'm good.  I've also learned that if I have milk after about 8 am, I get sick.  And then there was today, and I don't know what that was.  We're having an assembly in about 45 minutes and the teachers are doing a "flash mob," so I hope I feel better so I can participate.  =(
    Anniversary

• Options
    Congrats Mandi!
    Professor, that flash mob sounds fun :)

We are letting the cat out of the bag kind of early, but I'm okay with that.  We're going to announce late next week in our Christmas cards and on FB.  I know I'll only be about 7 1/2 weeks at that point, but SIL (who announced the day she found out) made a very valid point that there's no point in pretending the baby isn't there.  Yeah if we lose the baby it will suck, but I don't want to act like he/she never existed (which would end up being the case if I had a m/c before telling anyone).  It's kind of a weird logic, but it works for us :)
  • Options
    ^^ interesting points, chelsea. I'm totally not sure what I would do if I were pregnant and when to tell people... Like do you want everyone close to you to just not know that you are so sad from a miscarriage? Or do you want their comfort and support?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_happy-friday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:1f7782fb-fa1a-4485-8c1e-8d4dd5e1b57aPost:b0d8f4dc-5429-472b-bfea-ddaf6b087df4">Re: Happy Friday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]^^ interesting points, chelsea. I'm totally not sure what I would do if I were pregnant and when to tell people... Like do you want everyone close to you to just not know that you are so sad from a miscarriage? Or do you want their comfort and support?
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

Not even that I want more comfort and support.  I just feel like, as a pro life person, it's almost an insult to the baby to pick a certain point to tell people that he/she is there.  I am a mother.  And I'm not afraid to say it :)
  • Options
    By the way, as a general disclaimer I must add, I do not judge (in the least) people who wait to tell.  It is TOTALLY a personal choice by anyone who is expecting.
  • Options
    i am exercising.  like, all weekend.  i have 3 parties next week and im freaking out since ive been doing so very well with my diet.

i will also be finishing up a personal project as well as shopping for stocking stuffers.  after i obsessively exercise.  LOL
  • Options
    We told close family and friends for basically that reason, but I don't need the world to know yet.  I told the Internet because I couldn't keep it a secret, otherwise.  ;)  We were initially hesitant to even tell friends and family, but it makes sense to have at least some of a support system.  I can't imagine losing my child and having NO ONE to turn to.

And from a purely selfish perspective, I have at least one friend whose advice I really just don't want, so I don't care if she ever finds out I'm pregnant (that's a lie, but seriously -- she started giving me unsolicited baby advice before I got married).  ;)

I actually really intend to keep my child off Facebook as much as possible, so even if we announce on FB, I don't really want to be "BABYBABYBABYBABY."
    Anniversary

• Options
    professor...she sounds..fun?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards