September 2012 Weddings
Options

Sometimes I regret...

Having such a long engagement. We chose our date for a good reason (saving money, FI making sure all his ducks are in a row before we get married) but sometimes I wish I had chosen a 2011 date.

Do any of you ladies ever feel this way? 
If not, Why (What made you choose your 9/2012 date)?

Re: Sometimes I regret...

• Options

At times I feel the same way. Sometimes I wish we had not change the date,  but the truth is I know I am going to get a better and bigger wedding for waiting, Great things come to those who wait and besidses that time flys so fast. I feel like it was yesterday when the year started and look at us  now its so close to 2011!!!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
    image 157 Invited
    image 118 are ready to party! image 35 have better things to do image04 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: March 31
  • Options
    It's all about the budget for us so 2012 gives us time to save and plan.
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    I don't regret picking a date so far out.  We need time to save money and plan and I so didn't want to be getting married while student teaching!  Just think of how stressed out we would be now if we were getting married in less than a year with such little time to plan.... that's just not for me :)
  • Options

We were just talking about this yesterday. I think about it and I feel like looking at this website all the time or reading magazines is a waste right now. It will all be different next year when it will be the right time to really start planning. But then I think about it more and realize it was the right thing for US to do. 

Members of my family don't understand why we are waiting so long...but most of those members had their weddings paid for by their parents! Money is always an issue I think....I do not work right now because I am in nursing school and graduating in June. I want to make sure that I get a job and save for the wedding. We do have money now, but I would much rather save that money and add to it. I want to live in a nice house AND have nice wedding. So waiting was just the right thing to do. 

The only thing I do feel somewhat guilty about is my grandparents...they are almost 90....so I hope they are both living when the date comes around. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We've pushed our date out three or four times now (I've lost count). We are paying for the wedding by ourselves with no help from anyone else. This will be my third wedding and none of my family is willing to help, even though my first two weddings I paid for myself as well with no financial help, but whatever. His family won't be able to help financially but are willing to help with crafts and what not.

Because of that we set it out that far so that we could be able to save up and buy everything that we need/want for our wedding. Also we are not hiring a wedding consultant, I'm doing it all myself which means that I need to make sure that everything is done.

Do people ask me why? Yes and we tell them the above reasons. If they continue to question I tell them my blunt and honest answer (which is sometimes a reality check to people) that the ceremony and reception and all the paperwork is just that. My fiance and I will be together forever, what's almost two years of planning a wedding. Plus, it goes by fast. Before they know it it will be here.
    Countdown to being Mrs. Tirey
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding website
  • Options
    I feel the same way, but like most said, our wedding will get to be bigger and better because of it=]
  • Options
    I feel the same way sometimes. But we chose the long engagement route for financial reasons. We are also in the process of buying a new house, so we wanted to be settled in our new house then continue saving money together for our wedding.
    A part of me would love to get married in '11, but I'm loving being an engaged couple. And it's nice that the wedding planning isn't all-consuming. We have the luxury of spreading out the planning if we want to.
  • Options
    I agree - and joke with my fiance that we should just get married at city hall or something on a random weekday, just so we can be married... But, our reasons for waiting are good:

1.  Budget - we're paying for most of the wedding ourselves, with help from my mom.

2.  My twin sister is getting married in August - so I didn't want to burden my family and friends with two weddings in one year.

2.  My grandparents and parents both got married on Sept. 8th - and when we realized that was a Saturday in 2012, we knew we'd want to wait for that date. 

We've been together for 4 years, so in the scheme of our lives together, waiting 2 more years won't be a big deal... Although it feels very long right now! :)
  • Options
    I know how u feel.... I do wish we picked 2011... but it works out better this way because we know we will have all the money for the wedding with no worries. Plus we got 2010 prices....which is good. I feel like it's so far away ! But it'll come up quick (so everyone tells me !)
  • Options
    I got engaged in May 2010 and we are getting married September 15, 2012. I can't believe how fast the last 6 months have gone by and I really haven't done much planning yet.  I like a long engagement because it can help us save money and get everything ready. I will also graduate in May 2012 before we get married. Sometimes its hard because 2 of my friends are getting married sooner, but the long engagement works for us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sometimes-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:6592a8e3-d72b-4ebc-89f3-4764e02be307Post:1edba135-6ba5-4940-bcb6-26da2329dcfb">Re: Sometimes I regret...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got engaged in May 2010 and we are getting married September 15, 2012. I can't believe how fast the last 6 months have gone by and I really haven't done much planning yet.  I like a long engagement because it can help us save money and get everything ready. I will also graduate in May 2012 before we get married. Sometimes its hard because 2 of my friends are getting married sooner, but the long engagement works for us!
    Posted by sarahjc0036[/QUOTE]

We got engaged the day before Valentine's...I can't believe that in 2 months I will have been engaged for 1 YEAR! Time DOES fly by!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sometimes-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:6592a8e3-d72b-4ebc-89f3-4764e02be307Post:90dfdc05-c99c-404c-96bf-d9a313a45b3d">Re: Sometimes I regret...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sometimes I regret... : We got engaged the day before Valentine's...I can't believe that in 2 months I will have been engaged for 1 YEAR! Time DOES fly by!
    Posted by PhillyBride123[/QUOTE]

Yes it does fly by! But thats good because it won't seem like we are waiting as long! When is your date in September?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sometimes-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:6592a8e3-d72b-4ebc-89f3-4764e02be307Post:b424dd40-8989-4751-ba8a-2e67c1053a76">Re: Sometimes I regret...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't regret picking a date so far out.  We need time to save money and plan and I so didn't want to be getting married while student teaching!  Just think of how stressed out we would be now if we were getting married in less than a year with such little time to plan.... that's just not for me :)
    Posted by kissamary[/QUOTE]

When are you student teaching? I felt the same way. I want to be able to concentrate on student teaching without having to deal with being a newlywed. I feel like I would not have been able to enjoy either. I have seen some of my friends get married in less than a year after being engaged and it really is stressful. I like being able to enjoy it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sometimes-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:6592a8e3-d72b-4ebc-89f3-4764e02be307Post:a466fd3b-7307-405b-9a14-fbe137d18385">Re: Sometimes I regret...</a>:
    [QUOTE] 2.  My grandparents and parents both got married on Sept. 8th - and when we realized that was a Saturday in 2012, we knew we'd want to wait for that date.  Posted by daniegirl43[/QUOTE]

I love that reason! That is so special. I am jealous...I wish we had such a memoriable "date"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sometimes-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:6592a8e3-d72b-4ebc-89f3-4764e02be307Post:fe629577-6950-4f2f-8388-7b2269972807">Re: Sometimes I regret...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sometimes I regret... : Yes it does fly by! But thats good because it won't seem like we are waiting as long! When is your date in September?
    Posted by sarahjc0036[/QUOTE]

September 7, 2012 (Friday evening)
  • Options
    I don't regret it at all, I hate being rushed into things, and this will give more than enough time to plan.  The place I wanted to have my wedding was practically booked through 2011, so waiting another year wasn't such a big deal.   This way I know I will get everything I want and the vendors I want, plus instead of just having a typical wedding, I can make it bigger and better!  I am hand making my centerpieces, 40 paper mache tree's that are 5 feet tall, so that will take a long time :D
  • Options
    Hi,

I just got enganed in Nov. 2010. I was totally surprised by my fiance when we were on vacation in Mexico. And because I was surprised, I haden't really thought about my wedding or anything I wanted. Then I started looking up average costs for everything...ahh!! So the way I figure, my wedding is set for Sept. 15, 2012...we have all this time to save money to have the wedding and honeymoon we want and not settle for something because it is in our budget. So far we have our church and hall picked and we agreed that would be all for a while. It is nice because we put deposits down so we can subtract that from the grand total. We have a lot of time to save money and as well as pay for everything. The months seem to be just flying by...so don't be discouraged...it'll be 2012 before you know it and then it'll be all over! So just have fun! Wink When the day comes, you'll be glad you waited!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_sometimes-regret?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:6592a8e3-d72b-4ebc-89f3-4764e02be307Post:0ae17bb4-22aa-4e43-a6a1-b935720d8a37">Re: Sometimes I regret...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I just got enganed in Nov. 2010. I was totally surprised by my fiance when we were on vacation in Mexico. And because I was surprised, I haden't really thought about my wedding or anything I wanted. Then I started looking up average costs for everything...ahh!! So the way I figure, my wedding is set for Sept. 15, 2012...we have all this time to save money to have the wedding and honeymoon we want and not settle for something because it is in our budget. So far we have our church and hall picked and we agreed that would be all for a while. It is nice because we put deposits down so we can subtract that from the grand total. We have a lot of time to save money and as well as pay for everything. The months seem to be just flying by...so don't be discouraged...it'll be 2012 before you know it and then it'll be all over! So just have fun!  When the day comes, you'll be glad you waited!
    Posted by GrillGal1027[/QUOTE]

Congrats! My date is also September 15, 2012. I honestly have not planned at all! Besides finding a dress I loved and just thinking about different flowers and colors I really don't know what I will be doing. Good luck with your planning!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There are days I absolutely feel the same  way. I then look at a lot of my friends, who are also engaged and who are planning weddings for 6-9 months down the road and how stressed they are and how many compromises they have to make because of finances or time. I realize because we chose Sept. 29th 2012, we will have plenty of time to make sure we get everything we want and enjoy the planning and engagement phase of our relationship. It is such a happy and exciting time, and while I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with Jason, I also know we won't get this time back.
    Just relax and smile knowing you can have everything you want and that your day will be even more special for waiting. 
    Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards