Military Brides

Wedding redo????

Ok my husband proposed June 12th this year and we got married July 23rd. His family is all in Minnesota and I lived in Texas at the time, he was/is stationed in Florida.Our wedding was crazy small and cheap. And I mean cheap like my wedding dress was a $20 wedding dress my mom and I found at a second hand store and she shortened it for me (sadly it came our uneven and the top was actually too big). Well his parents and family couldnt make it because of such short notice and were pretty pissed about it. My parents came because they helped me move to Florida. Well now Im kinda regretting the wedding. I feel it was rushed and cheap. Im not regretting marrying my husband just the wedding. My question is would it be bad if we had a "real" wedding next year on or around our one year anniversary? I feel bad his parents couldn't come and I hated my dress. The husband even says he wants a "redo" on our wedding lol. I want a wedding I love. Is that selfish of me? Help!

Re: Wedding redo????

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Why did you get married 6 weeks after getting engaged if you wanted to plan a "real wedding"?

In answer to your question, you had a real wedding. If you want to throw yourselves a vow renewal later on, that's fine. A lot of people do.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Mel.  You had a wedding.  Have a VR later. 

We planned a very small wedding rather quickly.  We had 30 people there.  None of H's family was able to make it.  It was only my family and some of our friends.  We got married in my mom's living room, had dinner and then went out to party with everyone at our favorite bar.  We had wanted a bigger wedding, but with time constraints, we weren't able to do it. I don't regret our wedding at all.  I wish H's family could have been there, but it wasn't possible.  We are planning a VR for our 5th anniversary, but we will probably have to push it back a few years. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    There's nothing with throwing a VR later on, but I'm not understanding your definition of a "real wedding".  You got to wear a dress and walk down the aisle with some family there it seems like.  To me that is a wedding.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Dana, don't you know that real wedding = pretty princess day?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like the PPs said, you could do a vow renewal. Or throw yourselves a reception for your families to come to. I know plenty of people that have done something like that after a small wedding.
  • forrma7forrma7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yikes, and the wolves already came in.

in order to buffer what some of the PPs said, once you are legally married, it is in bad taste to have a "second wedding" because it appears as if you are not being honest with your guests or that you are soliciting for wedding gifts.

instead, you should host a vow renewal, and plan it how you wanted your wedding to be.

i understand what you mean when you say "real wedding" but some people here do not like that phrase because it implies that only a "real wedding" has certain criteria. so just some FYI so people don't continue to freak out on you, or so you don't offend those who opted to not have a huge white dress wedding, but in fact, did have a "real" wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BunsCheer03BunsCheer03 member
    edited December 2011
    Do whatever makes you & your husband happy. As PP stated, its a vow renewal not a wedding, but if you both want the big extravagant day, then go for it. Just make sure on invites to word it with your married name & dont try to pretend your not already married, in the end it would just make you look silly. I went to a wedding last year where they pretended that they hadnt been married for 2 years already, it was just straight up odd. She used her maiden name on the invites & in the ceremony (even though she had legally changed it) In the end she is happy she did it, so is her husband, but they both say now that they just wish they had worded it as a vow renewal instead of a wedding so they didnt have to keep answering the "didnt you guys already get married?" "dont you already have his last name" questions forever.
  • elfitcheelfitche member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should do what makes you happy. We have been together 2 years and just recently got engaged. We are stationed in Alaska with my family being on the East Coast and his being in the midwest. We are having a Justice of the Peace wedding here in Alaska before he deploys for 6 months. However, we are already planning a big white "wedding" and having a destination wedding for the opportunity to spend an entire week with both of our families! We have been upfront with our families and they are excited to be a part of something related to our marriage, even if its not the "real thing".

I think if you are excited about it, the families will be excited about it because they love you. Its about you and your husband and what you want! I say go for it!!!
  • acarlson3acarlson3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally understand where you're coming from. DH and I eloped, with plans to have a "traditional wedding" later when we're both at places in life where we have the time and money resources to have one. Duh, it'll be a vow renewal, but that's not stopping us from having a wedding ceremony and reception. Don't feel guilty about wanting to "redo" your wedding, but also don't let his family pressure you into doing it in a way that will cause more stress than it will joy.
  • tat2mommytat2mommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh.....I have never seen such bitchie women.  If you want to call it a wedding then that is what is.  My husband and I got married in January at the courthouse, it was just us two and our 9 day old baby boy, I wore the most random clothes because we only intended on getting the license but they had an opening that day to marry us.  We only recently set a day for the big ceremony because we basically eloped and we want to have a ceremony with our families.  We're doing everything from the first dance to the garter toss.  Sure it is a actually renewal but we are having all the bells and whistles of a wedding, because it is what we want and it is something we want to do with our families and friends, we're not asking for gifts, we just want peoples company and for everyone to have a good time.  If you want to have the wedding you want ,do it, and forget what everyone has to say about it.  Sometimes things don't go exactly as planned, break the rules, walk to the beat of your own drum (I am!)!!!  Renew your vows and have the wedding you want!
  • LeahCKLeahCK member
    edited December 2011
    So go with the wedding redo and call it the "traditional ceremony".. maybe leave out the registries, but ABSOLUTELY.. I would. Wedding should be about your big day.. and it's yours.. make it what you want... those who love you will understand. I am taking my time to plan our wedding but if you don't think a day doesn't go by where I want to run down to a priest and marry him tomorrow yuo're wrong. I can't wait to marry my fiance. It's nailbiting for me. I have 6  more months to go!!

Shrug it off, label it how you want, I agree with the PP about the names though. Use your real names. If humor is your thing you could make it slightly comical through out the day. Why not call it "prince and princess day".. LOL..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You are NOT being selfish your wedding day is suppose to be a happy thing to remember! :) You can do a Vow renewment on your anniversarry and treat it the same as a wedding the only difference is that you won't be signing a marriage license....big deal! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards