Getting in Shape

New weight loss plan/motivation/new years resolution

So I think I've found a way to keep myself sufficiently motivated in my weight loss journey.
We set my wedding dress budget at $300, but then I saw a dress I LOVED for $1000. My wonderful FI being who he is, he says I can have whatever makes me happy. (AW!) I have a hard time swallowing the increase in our budget. I also have a hard time keeping my motivation to eat right and excersize. So here's what I'm doing...

If I can lose 20% of my body weight, or 60 pounds, by the end of 2013 I will reward myself with THE dress. However, having and all or nothing goal seems like a good way to get discouraged (as in, I'll never lose 60 pounds, why bother losing any?) So... for every 6 pounds I lose (aka 10% of the planned 60), I earn 100 dollars toward my dress budget.

Who else has problems staying motivated and how are you motivating yourself?

Re: New weight loss plan/motivation/new years resolution

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-weight-loss-planmotivationnew-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:18fbccdb-c055-4ec1-99ac-3180806d1cbaPost:41e56fe8-b6ac-4df2-8c3f-c74135296298">Re: New weight loss plan/motivation/new years resolution</a>:
    [QUOTE]If this motivation works for you, that sounds awesome.  You'll want to lose about a pound a week - I'd recommend getting on a calorie tracking website like My Fitness Pal or Spark People to help you in reaching your goal.  <strong>One other thing to keep in mind (and not meant to be discouraging) is that your dream dress might not be available a year from now.</strong>  So by all means aim to hit your goal, but be prepared that you might just have to go dress shopping again once you do - that's not a bad thing! <strong>I motivate myself through keeping in mind non-scale victories. </strong> When I can run a mile further, fit in to an outfit that was too small, climb a mountain without wanting to die, I know I've achieved something.  I also love the daily accountability threads for keeping me motivated when things are hard.  So stick around and keep us updated! What is your  plan for losing the weight?
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto the bolded.</div><div>
    </div><div>I really try and use the scale as a tool not a be all end all of how my progress is going.  I like to make sure that I'm not gaining too much, and by that I mean not fluctuating by more than 3-4lbs since typically that fluctuation is pretty normal.  I like to SEE definition in my arms and abs, I like to RUN farther and not feel like poop afterwards, etc. etc.  The scale can be a huge roadblock for many people so don't get too hung up on pounds lost/gained/maintained.  If your clothes are fitting better, you look more toned, and you are moving towards your goal of fitting into your dress then that's more important than focusing on the number IMO.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd also like to know what you have in mind to accomplish this goal.  Do you have a workout routine?  Do you count calories?  What is your diet typically like and are you willing to change some things about it to achieve your goals?</div>
  • I know that dress might not be available, although I have a feeling it might be. It's part of the brand new 2013 collection. :)

I've tried several things in the past... C25K, My fitness pal, joining an absurdly expensive gym... All of them worked for about two weeks. Then I kind of lose interest. I feel like having the specific numerical goal verified by the scale and having the "easy" goal of 6 pounds at a time might keep my attention a little longer. I'm planning on re-startingt both the C25K and myfitnesspal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_new-weight-loss-planmotivationnew-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:18fbccdb-c055-4ec1-99ac-3180806d1cbaPost:0612cee4-1065-406c-a9d2-65ca6f8fcd72">Re: New weight loss plan/motivation/new years resolution</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that dress might not be available, although I have a feeling it might be. It's part of the brand new 2013 collection. :) I've tried several things in the past... C25K, My fitness pal, joining an absurdly expensive gym... All of them worked for about two weeks. Then I kind of lose interest. I feel like having the specific numerical goal verified by the scale and having the "easy" goal of 6 pounds at a time might keep my attention a little longer. I'm planning on re-startingt both the C25K and myfitnesspal.
    Posted by Robsgal85[/QUOTE]

<div>You sound like me with the losing motivation...my suggestion? Start looking at it as a lifestyle change not a diet. If you want long-term weight loss it has to be a complete overhaul. My FitBit has also reaaaaaaaally helped to motivate me. When I look at it and i'm only at 3,000 steps (when a healthy adult should be at 10,000 steps a day) it motivates me to get my butt to the gym.</div><div>
    </div><div>In the end you're the only one who can truly motivate yourself. If the dress goal is what gets you to start taking care of yourself, then that's what it takes. </div><div>
    </div><div>As one last note, I believe people say a habit takes 2-3 weeks to form...so if you can hang in there for 2-3 weeks and just keep at it, it should become routine and then your body will start expecting it :)</div>
  • That sounds like an idea that could work well--while staring at the end goal head on could be intimidating, breaking it up into stages may very well be the trick for you.  However, I would say that once you reach your "end goal" you'll likely find how great you feel and then you'll have a different motivation to stay fit (and feeling great physically and mentally, in my opinion, is a lifelong motivator).
    While what you're eating is half the battle, another thought regarding your issue of trying 1 certain exercise regimen for a couple of weeks and losing interest, then rinse, repeat cycle, is mixing it up all the time.  As in, in a single week I may practice yoga 3x, play tennis 1x, and go skiing 1x and this is good for me for two main reasons: It keeps things interesting, and it keeps my body guessing in terms of how it will be working metabolically, the different muscle groups used, mixing in cardio, etc. which (at least for me) is way more productive in the results that I see than just doing one thing 4x-5x/wk for the next 6 months or year or whatever it may be.  
    And like someone else suggested, a counter like sparkpeople helps me keep track and avoid eating mindlessly too often. Let's just say, I too am very motivated  to fit into a dress and look good in photos that will last for years to come--but I'm also motivated by how a healthy lifestyle makes me feel on a daily basis. Good luck!
  • Yay! 8 pounds down from Christmas to NYE!
    Basically increased activity level (although no actual work out - went from unemployed to working 8 hours of retail a day! My feet hurt! but yay new job!), no soda, and calorie counting.
     I'm sure I'll hit a point (soon-ish) that I'll have to actually work out, and when that comes we'll start the C25K program.
    Only 52 more to go!

On a side note, gearing up for our 5K training, I saw an add for a color run. Basically you run a 5K and get pelted with powdered food dye, so when you're down you look all crazy tye-dyed. It sounds like amazing fun! Had anyone done this?
  • Down another 3! hope you all are having sucess as well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards