Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rehearsal Question

At my cousin's wedding rehearsal a few years back she didn't walk down the aisle during the rehearsal since it was "bad luck" and instead my sister was asked to be the placeholder for the bride during the rehearsal.

I thought it was a little strange at the time, but that was before I joined TK so I didn't really know anything about weddings.

Did you walk down the aisle during the rehearsal or did a BM walk in your place? If not married, what are you planning to do?

Re: Rehearsal Question

• I walked down the grassy area that was supposed to be the aisle, but we ended up going with our rain option which we hadn't rehearsed at all so that was fun.
    Actually I more ran down the aisle. We were all wearing cute little dresses for dinner and it was 50 outside, windy and raining. Dh put his coat around me and the officiant was like "Ok, we walk down, I talk about love, you two kiss, get us somewhere warm please" and we all ran for the restaurant.
  • My wedding coordinator wouldn't let me.  She said it was unnecessary and bad luck.

Everyone else walked and stood just as they did at the ceremony and I sat in the pews watching/commenting.  We could have done a bride-stand-in but my then FI wouldn't do it because it was "creepy". (I kinda agree) So he just stood there by himself at the altar.

• I had no idea that they ever used stand-ins.  At my cousin's wedding my aunt made them do a dress rehearsal 10 min before the guests arrived - bride walking down the aisle (in dress).  I was horrified.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never heard of this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d92858c-d0fd-4592-9382-cfdb9d2745d3Post:463924cd-78e4-4556-902a-e46105a24404">Re: Rehearsal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding coordinator wouldn't let me.  She said it was unnecessary and bad luck. Everyone else walked and stood just as they did at the ceremony and I sat in the pews watching/commenting.  <strong>We could have done a bride-stand-in but my then FI wouldn't do it because it was "creepy". (I kinda agree)</strong> So he just stood there by himself at the altar.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

That is my issue with it as well.

Does anyone know why it is bad luck? I know that it wouldn't be that hard to figure out how to walk down the aisle on the wedding day, but I don't completely understand the tradition.
  • I've never heard of this. 

Nothing causes 'bad luck'.  My uncle videotaped my parents' rehearsal and Mom walked down the aisle with her dad.  Both Mom and Dad are still kickin' after 25 years. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d92858c-d0fd-4592-9382-cfdb9d2745d3Post:0f94a5db-04cd-4f17-a408-743c17cb2f61">Re: Rehearsal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rehearsal Question : That is my issue with it as well. Does anyone know why it is bad luck? I know that it wouldn't be that hard to figure out how to walk down the aisle on the wedding day, but I don't completely understand the tradition.
    Posted by felicity and reverie[/QUOTE]

Not sure why exactly.  I just always heard that the bride should only walk down the aisle once. One her wedding day.
  • Jeez, one of the reasons I would WANT to have a rehearsal would be to time my entrance to the music.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm gonna take my chances and walk down the aisle at our rehearsal.
  • I've never heard of this, but we didn't do a rehearsal in any case. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d92858c-d0fd-4592-9382-cfdb9d2745d3Post:786221f9-bdf6-4728-8338-6f3155ba676a">Re: Rehearsal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm gonna take my chances and walk down the aisle at our rehearsal.
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

I plan to as well. I was mostly curious about how common it is to not walk down the aisle or use a stand-in bride.
  • I've seen this done with the bride standing back so she can see how the procession will look.  OCD types want to make sure everyone is positioned to look the best.

I don't get it but it  is a custom somewhere
  • Yet another tradition I have never heard of!
  • We did not even rehearse the night before. We just had a dinner for everyone. I am still married! :P

• My firend did that, I never heard of that. I think it was from hawaii? Dont know for sure but thats what her fam kept saying
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have never heard of this before. I walked down the aisle at my rehearsal and my two friends did at theirs as well.
  • I've never heard of this.  I've been in a couple weddings and every time the bride has walked down the isle at the rehersal.
  • I know people that have done the stand-in thing...and it's just NMS.
  • never heard of that rumor.......

my sister got married in april 2008, where I was MOH and we all walked down the aisle of the church at the rehearsal.....and everyone is fine....
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d92858c-d0fd-4592-9382-cfdb9d2745d3Post:5a9c5c9c-468e-4e26-a5dd-2e5d74738ab8">Re: Rehearsal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did not even rehearse the night before. We just had a dinner for everyone. I am still married! :P
    <p>Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE] </p><p>same here, Ricks! And, shock horror, everyone figured out how to walk/when to talk/etc all by themselves! ;P</p>
  • We didn't have an aisle.  H and I just walked onto the stage together to meet my dad/officiant, which is not something that needed to be rehearsed.  However, my sister walked down the aisle at her rehearsal.  The are still happily married. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d92858c-d0fd-4592-9382-cfdb9d2745d3Post:b15fdb14-e8d1-4573-9746-848e8ef05074">Re: Rehearsal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rehearsal Question :   same here, Ricks! And, shock horror, everyone figured out how to walk/when to talk/etc all by themselves! ;P
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]

Yep, no mishaps at all!
  • hmm I've never heard of that being bad luck.  I'll walk down the aisle at my rehearsal. 
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I walked down the aisle at my wedding rehearsal - 27.5 years ago.  Still married.  :)

My daughter walked down the aisle at her rehearsal 7 months ago,

I have never heard of that tradition. All of the weddings I have been in the bride always walked down the aisle during the rehearsal.
  • I was however very superstitious with my ring. With the exception of getting it sized I wouldn't put my wedding band on my finger before the actual wedding.
  • I fully intend to walk down the aisle at my rehearsal with my ribbon-and-plate-bouquet-thing from the wedding shower.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Bad luck??  Really?  I've never heard of that.

Walk down that aisle at your rehearsal, girl!  It is a fun feeling and may help you to be more relaxed on the big day.

Enjoy!
  • We just left that part out and practiced the ceremony wording itself. We all know how to walk. The coordinator just showed my bridesmaids where to stand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • I'm walking down, mostly to practice walking in my crazy tall sparkly heels in grass.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards