Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Sides for a BBQ?

Going to a BBQ on Sat (assuming it doesn't continue raining...) and I was asked to bring a side dish.  They will have burgers/hot dogs, salad and mac and cheese. I have no idea what to bring as a side!  I was thinking pasta salad but is that too similar to mac and cheese?  Any other suggestions? 

Re: NWR: Sides for a BBQ?

• Options
    Potato salad? Fruit salad? :) You could also bring chips or veggies.
  • Options
    millkn2millkn2 member
    First Comment
    Watermelon!
  • Options
    Macaroni salad, baked beans or a garden salad
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Any type of salad: pasta, potato, fruit :)
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Baked beans (from a can but "doctored" if you want to get fancy), potato salad, tomato/mozzarella/basil salad or bruscheta, macaroni salad (yeah, it's close to mac and cheese but if you include lots of veggies, it's different enough), corn on the cob.  
  • Options
    Fruit salad is always good.

I brought chili to a BBQ last weekend so the guys could make chili dogs.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    My standby is always German potato salad. Let me know if you want the recipe. It's made with red potatoes and a non-mayo dressing so it doesn't go bad sitting outside for a while at a BBQ.
  • Options
    I love fruit salad at a bbq.  Or ambrosia salad.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cole slaw?  corn on the cob?  Texas caviar?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-sides-bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81fd515b-8219-4088-91d5-606e80a5cdebPost:61af583f-3265-4a80-8980-7b5f52f1ebd7">Re: NWR: Sides for a BBQ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]cole slaw?  corn on the cob?  <strong>Texas caviar</strong>?
    Posted by seprincipe[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm from Texas and I've never heard of Texas caviar...what is it?</div>
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
  • Options
    Mmm corn on the cob sounds good or Chili like Bay suggested. Usually I will bring some sort of salad, and maybe toppings for the hamburgers. Men always tend to forget toppings. And I always need chips and dip for a BBQ- or maybe a veggie tray with dip.
  • Options
    Coleslaw? 7 layer dip and tortilla chips? Hummus and veggies?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-sides-bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81fd515b-8219-4088-91d5-606e80a5cdebPost:650c2f43-ef94-41a8-aa61-69fe8d80be0c">Re: NWR: Sides for a BBQ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Sides for a BBQ? : I'm from Texas and I've never heard of Texas caviar...what is it?
    Posted by Brandiewine11[/QUOTE]

Mmm, it's like a salsa made with black eyed peas and corn (and chilis, and tomatoes, and onion and garlic). You can use vinegar and oil on it or some people use Italian dressing. I've used it for quesadillas before, or just to eat with chips, or even as a side "salad." I made it on New Years this year because of the black eyed peas.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Fruit Salad, Potato Salad, Watermelon, Chips & Guac, Beans, Brownies or Cookies. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-sides-bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81fd515b-8219-4088-91d5-606e80a5cdebPost:650c2f43-ef94-41a8-aa61-69fe8d80be0c">Re: NWR: Sides for a BBQ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Sides for a BBQ? : I'm from Texas and I've never heard of Texas caviar...what is it?
    Posted by Brandiewine11[/QUOTE]

<div>Its a multiple bean salsa....  I hadn't heard of it until a bridal shower in Chicago...  I think it had black beans and pinto beans and kidney beans...  A google search brings up a bean salsa with black eyed peas as the star ingredient.  I think most Texans haven't heard of it...  </div>
  • Options
    I'd say baked beans or Texas caviar (Mery's version) as well.
  • Options
    Personally, I love fruit and here is one of my favorite fruit sides...kind of an app/side.

Finely chop a variety of fruits (still  recognizable bites but small enough you can use it as a dip and get multiple fruits in one bit)
    Personally I like to add apple, strawberry, mango, and kiwi.  Blueberries would be great if you like those, same with papaya, raspberries and banana don't hold up well. 
    Mix the chopped fruit with enough sugar to get the juices out a bit (1-2 tablespoons depending on how much you're making) and add in 1-2 tablespoons of jelly/jam/preserves.

Serve it as a dip with cinnamon sugar pita or tortilla chips...or even cinnamon sugar graham cracker.  This is my staple side dish in the summer and it always is a hit. 
    *Tip if you use apple:squeeze some lemon juice on the apple before mixing with other fruits to avoid browning*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I always make warm potato salad. Or chick pea-couscous salad.
  • Options
    Coleslaw, chili, potato salad, deviled eggs, bean dip, etc.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2011

Potato Salad is always a good one for a bbq.....I have a killer recipe that has been passed down for years if you would like?

It is sooooooooooo good....ah hell, here is the recipe anyways in case anyone else wants to try it out:

POTATO SALAD     INGREDIENTS           5 cups diced cooked potatoes2 teaspoons sugar2 teaspoons cider vinegar 1 cup chopped onions (Vadalia or red onions are milder. White are too pungent)1 ½ cups MayonnaiseSalt, to taste                      Celery seed, to taste  4 hard-cooked eggs, 1 sliced and 3 chopped upDIRECTIONS

Bring diced potatoes to a medium boil and once soft, drain and immediately spread out on a cookie sheet and place in fridge to cool (will be firm to the touch).  Once firm, proceed to step #2

Sprinkle potatoes with sugar and vinegar.Add onions, mayonnaise and spices.Toss lightly to avoid breaking up potatoes too much.Fold in 3 chopped eggs.Transfer to serving boil.Place sliced egg on top of salad for decoration.Chill NOTE:  4 lbs. of white potatoes will make approximately 8 cups of cubed potatoes.  On average, 1 lb. of white potatoes = 3 med. potatoes = 3 cups grated potatoes = 2 cups cubed potatoes = 1-3/4 cup mashed.

Serves 8 normally!

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper

Sorry the formatting messed up :(

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-sides-bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:81fd515b-8219-4088-91d5-606e80a5cdebPost:397f6499-6a56-4fb5-bcad-5b2e2367672b">NWR: Sides for a BBQ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Going to a BBQ on Sat (assuming it doesn't continue raining...) and I was asked to bring a side dish.  They will have burgers/hot dogs, salad and mac and cheese. I have no idea what to bring as a side!  I was thinking pasta salad but is that too similar to mac and cheese?  Any other suggestions? 
    Posted by noodle_oo[/QUOTE]

<div>Pasta salad is not at all like mac and cheese and is always good for a BBQ.  Cole slaw, potato salad, chips and dip?</div>
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone!  Sorry, I had to run, my poor DH passed out at the dr's office!!  He's fine, but had to drive him home.  I'm back!

Thanks for all the ideas, ladies!  Potato salad sounds great (why didn't I think of that!).  Thanks for the recipe, OBX!

Brandiewine: if you see this, I'd love your German potato salad recipe too!  It is nice to have a mayonnaise free one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards