South Asian Weddings
Options

Bridesmaids without Groomsmen?

In England, the notion of bridesmaids and groomsmen doesn't really work in Indian weddings. I have so many family members and friends there and none have ever used them. So for my 2013 wedding, my fiance and his family are traveling to the US.

I couldn't imagine not having bridesmaids, so without thinking I asked my three best friends and a very close cousin to be in my wedding. I realize that not many (or possibly any at all) of his friends may end up coming to our wedding. It is a lot to ask, after all, that his friends travel across the world to be there for us.

Just in case I don't have groomsmen to pair with my bridesmaids, how do I utliize the bridesmaids I have in my ceremon? They could walk in with diyas and be seated in the front row (which could be problematic to my relatives who won't understand why they're sitting there). I'm sure they could walk in without the company of groomsmen. When it comes to speech time, hopefully one of my cousins (who happens to be a good friend of my fiance) will give a speech on behalf of their friends. Are there any other ways I could incorporate bridesmaids even though there may be zero groomsmen? I am really stuck on this.

Re: Bridesmaids without Groomsmen?

• Options
    Years ago a was a bridesmaid when my college roommate got married.  I held her dupatta, which was super heavy, while she walked down the aisle.  I forget what the other girls did, but someone did something with flowers and someone helped her remove her shoes.  There are lots of other things they could do to assist with the ceremony.  If you have a bouquet, a BM will need to hold it for you during the ceremony.  You could designate them to hand you things used in the ceremony (we used a lot of money, as well as sindoor, etc.).  During the reception you will want one to speak and perhaps they could all enter as the wedding party.

As far as seating them in the front, that might be politically tough, depending how your family is.  If you think it's not feasible, maybe do reserved seating for those close relatives and include your BMs in it.

In Christian weddings quite often the BMs enter separately from the GMs, so that doesn't seem like an issue to me.  As long as someone speaks on behalf of the groom, it's fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards