Wisconsin

Cake prices

I was just quoted $800 for a cake for 200 people. I am stunned at this price, but its the first one I've received. Is this better, worse, or average for Milwaukee bakeries?

Re: Cake prices

• edited December 2011
    Thats not bad at all, I am paying $550 for a cake to serve 160 ppl in Kenosha. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_cake-prices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:7e73eaa9-978b-4226-9339-3368e2b6e68dPost:a55f45a8-206e-4a5e-a8dc-372cfe7af3f2">Cake prices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just quoted $800 for a cake for 200 people. I am stunned at this price, but its the first one I've received. Is this better, worse, or average for Milwaukee bakeries?
    Posted by mmskaric[/QUOTE]

We used Cake n Bake in Germantown (delivered to a milwaukee venue) and we paid 400 for a cake to feed 220. 

It was a fantastic tuxedo cake - each slice had a layer of french vanilla and devil's chocolate.  The display cake was 3 or 4 tiers and we had a few kitchen cakes to go along with that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BackpackersBackpackers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're paying about $550 to feed 180. In Milwaukee, from what I've looked at, most good bakeries seem to run from $2.75/slice to as high as you want to spend depending on extras, like upgraded fillings and frostings and decorating techniques.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say you're on the high end of the middle range for the number of guests you're having.  You can DEFINITELY do better.

I went to Karen The Cake Lady in Bay View.  Delicious, moist, beautiful cake...*record scratch*...but she quoted me $900 for 135 people!!! And that was with sheet cake in the back!!!

I ended up with Deb at Eat Cake in Milwaukee and she's around $500.  Her cake was just as good, if not better than The Cake Lady.

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    A great way to cut the price is to have a smaller tiered cake and then have sheet cake for the rest. 

The price doesn't seem too unreasonable.  I am using a baker in Madison and we are at $650 for 240 people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake was about $600 for 225 people. We used Diane from Extra Special Touch bakery in Waukesha. She does free tastings and does a beautiful job. We got a lot of compliments on our cake. She also just sent us a coupon for a free anniversary cake so we don't need to eat one-year-old cake!

A way to save money is to have a 3 or 4 layer cake (depending on guest count) and then sheet cake for the rest of the servings.

• mmskaricmmskaric member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls. I'm going to do some more research on cakes, but also other dessert options. I loved the idea of Kopp's custard someone posted recently. I'll be happy to share once I've figured out what we're doing...
  • sameagansameagan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is going to feed 240 and it only cost $600 through the Cake Guru of Oshkosh.... Tamara (the owner) is awesome and allows you to do any design you want and pay per person.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • heartrn13heartrn13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the Milwaukee area Bakery's were booked through the end of this year already! We got ours from "Chris's Confections" in Madison, her cake choices were out of this world delicious! and sooo many to chose from! :) a little pricey thugh.. $1100 for 200 + people, but that included a painted grooms cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I live in the Madison area and I also chose Chris's Confections.  The most delicious cake I have ever tasted and I am paying $600-$700 for 150 people.  It is all a matter of the icing, filling, and the style of cake that increase the price.
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Sheboygan and am using Sweet Creations in Plymouth.  Her cake is incredible and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!  I'm paying $390 for a 170 people.  At this rate, it may be cheaper for you to look at higher a baker from out of the area and payer the transportation costs.  It'll still be cheaper in the long run.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

Cakes By Kelli are delicious & affordable. I've been to a couple weddings that have had their cakes done by her. http://cakesbykelli.vpweb.com/default.html

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards