Louisiana-New Orleans

NOLA State of Mind

Hey girls! So I just decided last weekend (after a lovely talk with my mom and sis) to stop planning my wedding and elope! I just couldn't take the stress of trying to make everyone happy anymore!

So, I'm from New England and I'm trying to coordinate things over the phone and via email and I'm finding that people aren't getting back to me in a timely manner...but maybe I'm just being up tight? I've heard that Southerners are easy going and take it easy. So my question is, how long do I give someone or a vendor before I move on?

I booked a photographer, Dark Roux, and they operate exactly like I expect someone to. I send an email, I get a response, a couple of emails later and in 3 days it's booked! Super friendly, very attentive and I'm excited to work with them!

Hair and makeup. I contacted a place after reading good reviews, I filled out their online contact page. Boom, email response in 20mins, I'm thinking to myself this is easy! I write back and pick my date....no response. So, I wait a day, no email. 3rd day, I call and leave message....still no response.

Chapel. Alright, so I didn't know about the WeTV show for the French quarter wedding chapel so this could be the problem, but phone calls, they never answer even though their website says call anytime and email, no response.

Am I over reacting? I had such a good and quick experience with the photographer that maybe I'm spoiled? What do you ladies think?

And are there any other chapels in New Orleans? We've been to Vegas before so we didn't want to go there to elope and I figured if we were pumping money into the economy it should be to a deserving state (I was in Florida when Katrina hit and saw the devastation) but now I'm seeing that elopement packages aren't as readily available.

Comments/question/tips.....help!

Re: NOLA State of Mind

• edited December 2011
    I have Dark Roux too - Heather and Jamie are just awesome so far! 

After seeing the "Big Easy Brides," I would say your lucky you didn't get a response from that chapel...I thought about eloping too as an OOT bride but ultimately decided to have a destination wedding next March. When I was looking into eloping though, the best places I found were courtyards. Some places may even let you have the ceremony for free in a small courtyard (you find the officiate). I don't think there is another chapel in or around the French Quarter. 

Hopefully this helps...
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Are you set on having the ceremony in a chapel or church? I agree with jml1981 - check out the courtyards in the French Quarter - Princess of Monaco Courtyard, Hermann-Grima House, Beauregard-Keyes House, even the Degas House (a B&B outside the FQ) would be lovely.

Also you can check out this site for additional info, including a chaplain who could perform the service:  http://www.figstreet.com/weddings/

Good luck!
    :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions max&lucy! Can't wait check out those places! I'm not set on a chapel or church. What's important to me is somewhere/someone who is easy to work with and can communicate via long distance in a timely manner so I don't stress out! Keep the suggestions coming :) I should mention that it will just be myself and future hubby!
  • hannahc7891hannahc7891 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our wedding at the Degas House, which does have a great NOLA feel to it - I know they do "intimate" ceremonies for people who just want to have immediate family.  Maybe that could be an option?  They have info on their website.

On the contacting vendors thing, I feel your pain.  I found that, in general, those who didn't get back to me in a week never did.  So if I sent an email, left a followup voicemail, and didn't get a response in a week, I just moved on.   The easygoing thing is true as a general rule, but I wouldn't deal with vendors who can't be bothered to return my calls.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Excellent decision going with Dark Roux!  We loved them, and our wedding photos are awesome.  Jamie and Heather do quite a few elopements and could probably suggest some places for you.  Any of those courtyard suggestions are great.  Also, you could possibly get an officiant and get married in Audubon or City Park.

I used Two Sisters Hair & Makeup.  I would send emails to both of their addresses, and they never took long to respond.  http://www.twosistershairandmakeup.com/default.html

While we can be more laid back and easygoing, my vendors were prompt with responses. Congrats and good luck with everything!
  • edited December 2011
    One more thing to keep in mind, a lot of vendors take vacations in August as it is their slowest time of year.
  • Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are many places with elopement packages, try looking at the bed and breakfasts or mansions. Magnolia Mansion is beautiful and I know they've got some options.
  • edited December 2011
    Judge KK Norman at the Historic Aligers Courthouse is very prompt to respond (well, her clerk does it) but they are very prompt and organized.  You can either get married at the courthouse (a very cute courthouse) or she will travel to anywhere you want.  You could do it on the Riverwalk, in Audubon Park, in a myriad of locations in the FQ.  Here is the website to the court.  Hope this helps. 

http://www.orleanscdc.com/fccsecd1.shtm  (this is her official contact info.  She does not work out of the scary looking courthouse on this page).
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much girls! I feel better now that I have a new direction and places to look at :)
  • edited December 2011
    Try Jessica with Just Face It.  They answer e-mails quickly, are affordable, and are so sweet!!
  • edited December 2011
    Sadly, Jessica is the one that won't get back to me. I read such great reviews on her that I called and felt ANOTHER message. Sign, time for me to move on
  • edited December 2011
    Really?!  I can't believe it!!  I am so sorry to hear that because they do amazing work.  She may be out of town or you might have the wrong e-mail.  I also know that Two Sisters is great for hair/makeup as well.  Also, there is a girl named Ashley Melzer.  You can find her on Facebook.  She does great work!  
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, a little bummed Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm surprised too that Jessica did not get back to you. She was very prompt with me just a few weeks ago and answered all of my questions quickly. I wouldn't write her off just yet. It is possible she is on vacation. Several of my vendors are right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards