Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Greek Orthodox Wedding Readings

Hi - I am marrying a Greek Orthodox man in a Greek Orthodox church next month (I am Catholic).  We just met with the priest for the first time and he gave me a copy of the reading that will take place before the Gospel.  It is a reading from St. Paul's Letter to the Ephesians, Chapter 5.20-33.  Not sure if any of you are familiar with this but it basically says the wife is the husband's slave.  I have huge problem with haveing this read at our wedding.  I'm not sure if there is any flexibility with the selection of readings, but from what I can tell there is not.  Does anyone know? 

If not, how should I handle this?  I can't look my guests in the face after this is read.  Help!

Re: Greek Orthodox Wedding Readings

• Options
    I have a problem with that one too.  I can handle hearing it, but I can't handle how literally everyone else generally interprets it.  I heard a Catholic priest talk through it one time, and his interpretation was spot on for people of today.  It does say that the woman must "submit" to her husband blah blah blah, but it also says that the husband must care for his wife and love her as he loves himself.  The way the priest explained it, the words can be synonomous today.  Loving someone as yourself is the same as submitting to that person.  I don't hate the reading anymore, but I would never have it read at my wedding. 

I don't know anything about the Greek Orthodox Church, but you should try to get around it if you feel strongly about it.  Start by asking if there are any alternatives, and if there are not then you need to talk to your FI.  Since you are a month out, it would be very difficult to change your ceremony venue.  Not impossible, but difficult.  It all depends on how strongly you (and your FH) feel about it.
  • Options
    I thought you couldn't get married in the Greek Orthodox Church unless you got baptized into it? Granted, I got that from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, so that may not be the case... anyway, this is something you should discuss with your fiancé and officiant.
  • Options
    Ah, that's good to know, then. Definitely ask the priest if that's a required part of the ceremony or just a typical one.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_greek-orthodox-wedding-readings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:143f5e36-cff9-4ed1-a6b1-947029c55437Post:cb44786c-fd84-40bd-872e-0a116bb8e963">Re: Greek Orthodox Wedding Readings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought you couldn't get married in the Greek Orthodox Church unless you got baptized into it? Granted, I got that from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, so that may not be the case... anyway, this is something you should discuss with your fiancé and officiant.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

You have to have a Baptismal certificate.  I don't think Ian was baptized in any faith.  I need to get my Catholic certificate from my mom before DH and I can have our marriage blessed by the church,
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    It will be impossible to change the reading.  The marriage ceremony has been done for over 1000 years, and the church won't change it to meet any requests.  I am a feminist and Orthodox, but the church doesn't really mean the woman is the man's slave.  It also teaches that the man should care for the woman and put her needs above his needs, too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards