North Carolina-Outer Banks

Reception Timeline/Order of Events

Ok, I'm completely blanking on the order of events at all the weddings I've been too!  Also, mine isn't quite so traditional (we're not doing a bouquet toss/garder so on and so on).
I just got a list from my DJ though asking about songs and timeline, which I've barely thought of (let alone finding a song for cake-cutting, announcement song, etc) so my mind is reeling! AH!!

For budget purposes we want to have the DJ for only 4 hours, so I'm thinking 7pm-11.  Timeline, FYI: ceremony at 5pm, pics w/fam-wedding party then bride&groom only until 7pm.   SO for the cocktail hour we're just using the ipod.  By the time we & DJ arrive, the wedding party will already be there.....so is there any need for a song for their announcement/a big entrance for them?!  How are you all handling that part?

What's the general order/timeline of your Receptions?  As in: announcement for family members/wedding party/you?  Song included?  When will you do the first dance in relation to eating?  cake cutting?

My head's spinning!  Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception Timeline/Order of Events

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We sat down with our DJ this past Friday and he went over all of this with us, so your DJ should too seeing as how the reception is kind of his "arena" persay.  I would give him a call and go from there.

I would ask your wedding party to hang back with all of you to make the grand entrance.  These are your closest friends that you asked to be part of your day so having that grand entrance announcing their names, in a way is a salute to them for everything they have done.  I hope that came out the right way :)

We are doing either Chris Brown "Forever" or Black Eyed Peas "I Gotta Feeling" for our grand entrance song.....this to me is one of the best parts of the night!

• edited December 2011

@Char I think you should do Pitbull - "Give me Everything". LOL!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Ohhhh that WILL be played....especially for Boo!  ;)

• tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HA or enrique "tonight I'm loving you?!"

Well that's a good point about having him help us out with all that.  I'm a little disappointed he just sent me this thing instead of doing it when we met with him, or over the phone!  I'll definitely give him a call.

My only question with the wedding party hanging back with us (oh, I totally understand what you mean!  I'd like to do an announcement, but just wonder about the logistics) b/c they'll be back at the house and cocktail hour a good 1/2 hr to hour before us, since we'll be doing more pictures with just the 2 of us.  I could always have my aunt (playing coordinator) round them up once we get there to have a big official entrance?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are not doing a GRAND entrance :(
    I just hate to have my wedding party hanging out with us while our families take pics and they aren't being able to enjoy the cocktail hour!! 
    We are also doing our first dance on the beach, so we are already "starting the party" without a "formal" entrance.
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you have separate hor d'oeuvres for your bridal party so that they could be announced with you?  I know the Budleigh has a little secret room upstairs that we'll hide out in for a few minutes to catch our breath... when I was in my friend's wedding, she did the same thing.  I honestly appreciated the down time (especially before my maid of honor toast, ugh... time to rehearse!) instead of being out and mingling during cocktail hour.

The entrance song was one of the few things that I came up with in order to please my fiance.  We're coming out to Motley Crue's "Kick Start My Heart," lol.

Other than that, you can do whatever you want.  My friend did everything right in a row (first dance, cake cutting, my toast) then dinner, then danced with her dad (she had her fiance dance with his mom during the same song).  Not my preference for the flow of the evening, but it's what she wanted.  It totally depends on whether you want to do everything at once or spread out throughout the evening.  Talk to your DJ; he should be able to direct you.
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011

@Jen I was JUST going to mention having seperate Apps and some drinks for JUST the bridal party so that way they can still enjoy the food, AND hang back for the grand entrance. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I joked that our first dance song should be that one Russell Brand sings in Forgetting Sarah Marshall "Inside of you"... we were just curious if anyone would even pay any attention to notice what the words actually are. haha

Anyhoodle, as for the order of events, this is kinda what we were thinking...

1. Entrance song
    2. Head to dinner table where toasts would be given
    3. Eat
    4. First Dance
    5. Dance with parents (Fi and his mom, my dad and I are all going to do this at the same time)
    6. Dancing for a bit
    7. Cake
    8. Dance for a smidge more
    9. Garter
    10. Dancing the night away until 11 (then cleanup at 108 Budleigh)
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Philly - Great minds think alike! ...except when it comes to football. Smile

@Teach - That seems like a great order!  I might "borrow" it.
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011

@Jen Back at cha!Wink

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    too funny- not long after I posted, my DJ emailed me back and said he realized we hadn't discussed the timeline yet and we should set up a time to chat on the phone and figure out how we want to do it, so that made me feel better!
    The reception is at our huge rental house, so I was also thinking about the separate drinks & apps for the bridal party- there's a huge "Rec room" area downstairs they can wait for us at, and then everyone can walk upstairs either on the deck or inside to be "announced".   That could def work; thanks for the suggestions!
    And teach, I like your general timeline too- I did some research and that seems to be the most common preference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards