Students
Options

Could my TA benefits change if we get married?

Hello All I am new on here by the way and my name is Kaitlin.
I don't know all the lingo but i'm sure i'll get it eventually!

Anyways I am starting my Masters this Fall at Washington State University in the Fine Arts program.  They offered me a Teachers Assistant position which provides me with a stipend, waived tuition and Health Insurance.  Is there any chance they would reduce what they have given me once I am married?

Please let me know if you have any ideas because this is my families major concern!

Re: Could my TA benefits change if we get married?

• Options
    I can't answer your question...but I just though it was funny that my name is Kaitlin too, I am a graduate student at WSU. As far as I know I do not think that your marital status has any effect on your stipend, that is all based on the fact that you are being paid for the service you provide for the department and is based on cost of living in the area...not your marital status.You should deffinetly ask, but I am pretty sure that your marital status doesn't effect your stipend package
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't believe so.

My FI and I are getting married next May. He's going to grad school and will be working for a professor along with getting health insurance and stipend.

It'll work in your FI favor, actually. If he went to school & has fi. aid that needs to get paid back, payments will get postponed because you'll be in grad school.

We were told that by the fin. aid officer at our school last week... Since we'll be married and he'll be in school, my goverment loans will get pushed back till he graduates!

But, for your question... I defintely don't think being married will affect anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Your benefits shouldn't change because you're married.
  • Options
    I would ask, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.  Like someone else said, the stipend, etc, is for the services you perform as a TA, so your marital status shouldn't affect that. 

I'm not so sure about your husband being able to defer loans because you're a student, though.  Eav2c, I am 100% positive that I couldn't get my loans defered unless I, myself, was enrolled as a full-time student.  I know that different loans have different rules, and maybe him being a student would help me get a forbearance or something, but it has no effect on my eligibility for deferment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like you need to ask your department. My sister and her husband are raising two kids under three on his meager stipend, so I don't think your status matters.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_could-ta-benefits-change-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:4cbc009f-4889-4a3c-b797-36203a7c7729Post:1c20021d-3117-43b4-aff4-711c39394cf6">Re: Could my TA benefits change if we get married?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would ask, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no.  Like someone else said, the stipend, etc, is for the services you perform as a TA, so your marital status shouldn't affect that.  I'm not so sure about your husband being able to defer loans because you're a student, though.  <strong>Eav2c, I am 100% positive that I couldn't get my loans defered unless I, myself, was enrolled as a full-time student. </strong> I know that different loans have different rules, and maybe him being a student would help me get a forbearance or something, but it has no effect on my eligibility for deferment.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Well, according to our student loan officer, since my FI & I will be married, my loans WILL be deferred. I'm not saying all loans will be (such as private loans) but she specifically stated that specific loans would be deferred... I'm going to trust the advice of my Fin. Aid officer... She hasn't failed me yet!</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards