New Jersey
Options

Sticking to no kids policy

It's getting to be that time where RSVPs are due.  My one friend asked me when STDs first went out back in Feb if her son was also invited to our wedding (he will be 15 months by the time our wedding rolls around).  I told her no, only immediate family's children were invited (the youngest being 7) and none of their parents are bringing them, so zero children will be at the wedding.  I just got a text from her telling me they can't find someone they are comfortable with to watch their child for the evening, and unless we are willing to bend on the no child policy, they have to decline.  While I would hate to loose 2 people from the guest list, I have already told people that the reception is adult only and everyone else has done their part to make appropriate arrangements.  She's had over 6 months to find someone, and I'm sorry she can't find someone, but I don't want to start making exceptions and making other people angry.  I just want to make sure I am making the right call by sticking to my "no children" policy.
Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com

Re: Sticking to no kids policy

• Options
    You're doing the right thing. I lost 4 guests after they rsvped yes because they couldn't find a sitter.  Stick to your guns.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    You are. We had the same exact situation; only immediate family kids were invited and their parents left them at home, so we had zero kids. My good friend kept asking if her 18 month old was invited and, when I didn't change my answer, sent pics of him to my mom with a note that said "can't wait for you to meet my son at the wedding" hoping to get a different response (she didn't). Other friends declined because they couldn't find a sitter. It's OK and will all work out in the end.
  • Options
    Ok first of all, maybe I dont understand this because I dont have kids but I honestly just can't fathom how people can not find ANYONE to watch their kid for a few hours.  Don't they have family?  Good friends?  Honestly thats just bizarre to me.

ANYWAY, I think it would just annoy me so much that I wouldn't bend.  Let them miss out.  Maybe they will learn that part of having a kid is still having a social life and finding appropriate arrangements to do so.  Or maybe suggest that one of them stays home and the other comes.  I bet once you show you aren't bending they will magically find a babysitter!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    agu101agu101 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    What is incredibly annoying is that her husband's family is near where they live, so I'm not sure why she can't find someone to babysit.  And she belongs to a million mommy & me groups, so again I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone she feels comfortable enough to leave with her son for a few hours if they don't want to stay overnight.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    You are definitely doing the right thing!  My cousin keeps trying to get me to include his four year old daughter in my wedding.  He lives far away and was trying to convince me that our family members would want to see her, so I should invite her.  Even after I told him no, he went to my sister and said he needed to "reason with" me me about inviting her to the wedding!  I had to call him and tell him that the purpose of my wedding is to celebrate me and my new husband, not to make his daughter the center of attention.  It is definitely frustrating, but stick to your guns!   

And as a side note, don't people realize that a wedding is a really long day for a kid?  Even if they are well-behaved, they are bound to get tired and cranky!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stick to your guns. People have some nerve to keep bugging you about this!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • Options
    I'm totally sticking to my guns about this. I almost had it out with my FI's family because one of his cousins couldn't find anyone to watch her kids..and this was like at the 9 months away mark! They had plenty of time to get their kids used to someone..and I doubt they did. It wouldn't have been like 1 or 2 kids there..my FI's family alone has about 16 kids from ages 13-2. It would have been madness!

It's weird because some people have been like "Woo hoo! A night away from the kids!" and others are so mad about it. Oh well..can't please everyone.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_sticking-to-no-kids-policy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0c0b421b-ebe7-49ff-843f-5e3c9270dc10Post:a3e81ebe-25b5-44d4-8b68-b991cb2413c9">Re: Sticking to no kids policy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm totally sticking to my guns about this. I almost had it out with my FI's family because one of his cousins couldn't find anyone to watch her kids..and this was like at the 9 months away mark! They had plenty of time to get their kids used to someone..and I doubt they did. It wouldn't have been like 1 or 2 kids there..my FI's family alone has about 16 kids from ages 13-2. It would have been madness! It's weird because some people have been like "Woo hoo! A night away from the kids!" and others are so mad about it. Oh well..can't please everyone.
    Posted by GiGiV2012[/QUOTE]

My FI's stepbrother (with whom he doesn't have a GREAT relationship, but still) is probably not coming to the wedding b/c he can't bring his kids. People are truly ridiculous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • Options
    We also had a no kids policy.  For those that couldn't find a babysitter, we provided one of my bridesmaids little sister to be at the hotel- they would have to pay her obviously, but if you have someone that you didn't invite that would babysit- it's another option to consider.
  • Options
    Yea we had the exact same thing happened.. We ended up just giving it, it wasn't worth the stress.. Plus the father is in the bridal party and traveling from a distance for the weekend..  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_sticking-to-no-kids-policy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0c0b421b-ebe7-49ff-843f-5e3c9270dc10Post:a5f23dfd-0055-42f9-912e-59c836197138">Re: Sticking to no kids policy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea we had the exact same thing happened.. We ended up just giving it, it wasn't worth the stress.. Plus the father is in the bridal party and traveling from a distance for the weekend..  
    Posted by jess4xo3[/QUOTE]

<div>giving in*</div><div>
    </div><div>sorry typing on my phone.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stick to the no kids policy and leave it at that.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would not give in to that.
    My future father-in-law keeps asking if we could please invite FI's step-sisters (whom he has not seen in years and does not have a relationship with) little girl. She will be 4 by the time we get married, but we're not having children come to the wedding. 
  • Options
    Depends on the circumstance in my opinion. I know some kids who want stay with Babysitters or have friends with no family around to watch their kids. I won't mid having kids at the wedding so I guess since it doesn't bother me I see it differently. I think if you really dont want kids there than certainly stick to your guns but realize sometimes people really can't get sitters and that may mean you lose guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards